“First experience at a Bed and Breakfast, but very happy about it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kendall Tavern Inn Bed and Breakfast

You added Kendall Tavern Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Kendall Tavern Inn Bed and Breakfast
213 Main Street, Freeport, ME 04032   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Freeport B&B and Inns
Atlanta(u.S) and Montreal(Canada)
“First experience at a Bed and Breakfast, but very happy about it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

We drove from Montréal to Maine to explore. We decide to stay in Freeport and chose the Kendall Tavern Bed and Breakfast. This choice was a good decision. The place was clean and cozy. The rooms were cute and ours was big (room number 7). The owners were doing everything to make our stay memorable. It was a nice place to stay if you want a calm atmosphere and friendly environment. It iwas also at a walking distance from all the shops, outlets and restaurants. I would definitively go back there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
rhode island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

My Husband and I are a young couple in our late 20's. Not a place for us at all. The room was small and cold and the bed was not comfortable. I felt more like I was at a hotel then a B&B. Sorry...

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

Reading all of these wonderful reviews it makes me wonder if anyone has ever stayed in a B&B before. Though the place is nice, the room we stayed in was small and devoid of absolutely ALL character and charm - which is the precise reason one goes to a B&B! It was just a bed in a room. There was an extremely sugary breakfast without any protein. We were given a fruit salad consisting of 2 grapes and a sliver of orange and then a sugarfest waffle loaded with powdered sugar and whipped cream. If you care at all for your health, you will skip the breakfast as we did and have to pay for another downtown. I cannot eat sugared waffles and I am hardly a healthnut. I also found the innkeeper to be a bit overbearing and forced with his constant jokes that just made me uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I cannot really recommend this place as it is a truly forgettable B&B experience.

• Stayed September 2008
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

While traveling through Maine we stopped at Kendall Tavern for 2 nights and we truly enjoyed our stay there. Tim and Loree were friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was filling and delicious with plenty of options. We had rooms 1 & 2 which were a good size with their own bathrooms. We really enjoyed the family room downstairs with the TV and games. We met many other travelers that were staying with us which added to the B&B experience. We even ran into 4 of them further north in Bar Harbor 2 days later! The decor is country, but restained and not overdone. Loved the little touches like candy, cookies, and the frridge. We would love to visit again!

• Liked — Innkeepers
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

My wife and I just returned from a 3 week long vacation. We stayed at 8 different inns and hotels along the way. This was one of our favorites. We were greeted by name and given the tour. It was nice to have acess to the a fridge in the kitchen that provided complimentary drinks. Our room was clean but a bit small(room #5). I enjoyed talking to Tim each morning. He was an excellent, friendly, caring host. The breakfast was awesome each day. We liked being away from the downtown shopping area. It was quiet and relaxing. The walk was only 7 minutes to L.L. Bean. I will stay there again on our next visit to Freeport.

• Liked — Breakfast was terrific!
  • Disliked — Romm #5 was a little cramped.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
washington, dc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

This B&B got a nice review in a Frommer's book on Maine so I called ahead to check it out. The owner said $130 over the phone for a king-size room. There were plenty of vacancies around Freeport that day and I probably could have beat the pavement for a better deal but we wanted to settle in since it was late afternoon and check out the patagonia outlet, etc. When I got there, the owner said $135 and I said, you said $130 and he just laughed but was very friendly so I thought we were good. The next morning he presents a bill for $140; what is that? It was awkward and because he's older I wasn't sure it his memory is not sharp or if indeed it's sharp enough to squeeze some more $ out of me. In any event, it's the furthest thing from being gracious. The inn is frilly and the food is high in sugar, as someone else noted in a review; it was actually a pretty bad breakfast of not thoroughly cooked French toast and 2 strips of bacon. Who cares if there are pillsbury cut-and-bake cookies out? It's not worth $140. It was deceptive since he initially said $130. Fortunately, Maine people are very cool and this was the only phony on the trip!

• Liked — Not too much; it wasn't that close to the town center.
  • Disliked — How the owner upped the price in a sneaky way; it was really awkward and grubby.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

My wife and I were just driving south from Maine when we decided that we needed to rest. We saw the Inn that looked like a normal house at the beginning, if not for the sign at the entrance.

The room was fantastic, big comfy bed and large room with private bathroom.

The Kendall's are very nice and gave us good tips on where to eat dinner. They have menus of all the restaurants of freeport so you can check them out directly in the hotel before going.

The room was pretty silent, and when we got up for breakfast what a surprise! we ate the best breakfast of our trip, a great portion of french toast with whipped cream and strawberries. fantastic!

The inn isn't quite at walking distance from the town but it's ok to take the car planty of parking.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — a bit too expensive
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kendall Tavern Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!