“Classic New England Charm at the White Cedar Inn” 5 of 5 stars

178 Main St, Freeport, ME 04032-1407   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Freeport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, MA
“Classic New England Charm at the White Cedar Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

A friend and I stayed at the White Cedar Inn on April 29, 2006 as part of a get-away shopping weekend. This beautiful inn is full of New England charm. The innkeepers, Monica and Rock, are warm and friendly and made us feel right at home. They gave us some good recommendations on things to do in the area and places to eat dinner. They served us a nice breakfast with delicious stuffed french toast . Our room was spacious and bright with lovely antique-style wallpaper, comfortable beds and soft fluffy bedding. It was also impecably immaculate. If you are planning a trip to Freeport, Maine I would highly recommend the White Cedar Inn.

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the White Cedar Inn for their Valentines Day weekend special. They greeted us with a box of handmade chocolates (Box Hill Confections) that were out of this world. They also had a red rose in the room for my wife. Monica and Rock (the owners) were extremely nice and friendly. We happened to be there when snow was predicted so we had the whole place to ourselves, but I'm sure if others were there it would have only added to the experience.

The room was amazing! The bed was so comfortable and the down blankets made me not want to get up in the morning :-) The room we were in had a gas fireplace that was the perfect romantic touch.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2006
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

Cute little B&B in a great location just a couple blocks from LL Bean and the center of Main Street. Wonderful hosts made the visit a pleasure! Would definitely recommend to anyone!

Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

Stayed 1 night in August 2005. Very clean grounds and rooms, pleasant hosts. Extremely well located for Freeport shopping/eating. (Walking distance to everything) Breakfast was satisfactory. We had no problems or complaints.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2004

After three consecutive annual stays at the White Cedar Inn I am convinced it doesn't get any better than this no matter where you go or how much you pay for lodging. Right from the moment you arrive you realize that Jim and Gwen are a couple of the most special and delightful people you'll ever meet in this lifetime.... and then the fun really starts...from the genuine smiles to the great humor and comforting attention to the smallest details of service. This is servicing the way it should be done. Some of the larger B&B's I've been to around the country (at more than twice the price) should be taking lessons (and notes) from Jim and Gwen. The rooms are spotless, the breakfast cuisine rivals that of the best restaurant around. Best of all, you feel like FAMILY (as contrasted with "customer" in most other places). Can you tell we kind of like the place :>)? Can't wait to go back.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2003

The White Cedar Inn doesn't really exist-- it can't possibly. Nothing can be this perfect. The innkeepers, Gwen and Jim, made a complete stranger feel so at home, I did not want to leave (I only stayed 2 nights, but next time, I WILL stay longer). Breakfast at White Cedar isn't just a meal, it's an event. While Gwen fusses over the guests, making sure we're all well fed, Jim cavorts outside with the real star of the house, Maggie (a black lab that's probably the smartest dog in Freeport). Houseguests are pretty much given the run of the entire house, with access to the refrigerator, living room television, the front porch with its swing and rocking chairs. Never have I felt so at home in a place that wasn't. Gwen and Jim, I will be back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2003

The innkeepers, Gwen and Jim, are what distinguishes White Cedar Inn from other excellent bed and breakfasts. From the moment that we arrived my wife and I felt totally at home and totally welcome. Every little touch, from the home baked cookies left out at night to the well stocked refrigerator for nightime snacks said "We're happy to have you here." The breakfasts are marvelous; home baked breads and surprising and delightful foods. They are dangerous though. I weigh four pounds more than I did when I left home. Gwen and Jim were also very helpful with suggesting excursions to nearby places of interest and local restaurants of quality. The Inn is within walking distance of Freeport's famous shopping center. I'd happily recommend it to anyone who intends to visit Freeport.

Been to White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!