“Wow - What an amazing place!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Harraseeket Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   162 Main St., Freeport, ME 04032   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Freeport
NJ
“Wow - What an amazing place!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

Such an amazing inn - incredibly romantic, SUCH nice staff, very comfortable room, great shower, amazing food, I can't say enough good things about the Harraseeket - I can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — Everything - an amazing place in every day.
  • Disliked — The elevator was slow - but the stairs are right there and add to the cozy ambiance, so there was no need to take the elevator anyway!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Leicester UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Harraseeket two weeks ago on their 3 night/2 meals winter special. We had previously stayed there about 8 years ago and enjoyed so were keen to return.

It didn't disappoint, and if anything it was better this time than last time. The room was fine, overlooking the garden, and the olde world charm of the inn is one of its main attractions. Yes its not a modern Hilton or Marriott style hotel, thats why we stayed there.

We ate in both the grille restaurant and the main dining room, both meals were excellent. Being on the package, there was no restriction on what we could order, any starter, entree and desert of our choice.In the grille I had lobster and in the main I had the best fillet steak ever. My husband had scallops and lobster which he said was divine.

We also enjoyed the complimentary afternoon tea in the lounge, with cookies, fruit and cake and warm cider - a welcome treat after a hard days shopping or sightseeing.

We were there on halloween and there was a superb display of pumpkins on show carved by local children.

I read a comment on here about the car park, our car was valet parked when we arrived, the car park is at the back of the hotel only 100 yards max from the hotel rear door - no problem!

We won't wait another 8 years before returning.

• Liked — Charm and ambiance
  • Disliked — Would have liked a larger room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I had high hopes for this hotel and maybe that is why I was so disappointed. Everything just seemed so dated & old - from the reservation process, to the check-in & check-out to the room itself. This might be part of the charm for some travellers but for me it felt old and cold and I wished I had booked into one of the newer hotels. The location was okay and within walking distance of LL Bean but the parking was located at the bottom of a hill behind the hotel which wasn't great when you had stuff (including children) to unload. If you like charm & personal service, this hotel might be good for you but I wouldn't recommend it for any groups larger than two.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — difficult parking & small room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

I surprised my wife with a romatic getaway at the Inn and was satisfied with the location and the room in the carriage house. However our experience in the dining room was not very good. The waiter delivered our sparkling water, opened it and subsequently exploded, soaking both of us. The waiter did not apologize for this mishap. He continued on with us as if it never occurred. He returned to take our order asking, "Have you figured it out yet"? At this point the remark felt rude. He brought our salads one correctly and one incorrectly. It was rectified when it was brought to his attention. When we ordered dessert, I requested an item that was not on the menu which he promptly brought from the pub down the hall. My wife asked for a simple sorbet which took more than 15 minutes to arrive and only arrived after requesting it from another server. When we reported this to the management the next morning, the manager seemed disinterested. This chain of events will deter us from returning to the Harraseeket inn.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

The Harraseeket Inn is exactly what I think a well run inn embodies. I have stayed here for the past four years on an annual trip to Maine. The front desk staff is friendly, pleasant, and accomodating. The breakfast buffet is absolutely delicious (and included in the price---as is an afternoon tea). I first came for the chef (who is now in Portland) and continue to come because I like the inn itself. On this stay I ate in the tavern--had the Maine special of lobster stew, lobster roll, and Maine beer-- and watched the Red Sox. What better way for a New Englander to spend an evening. JD, Vermont

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — it was fine
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

We stayed at the Harraseeket Inn the week of August 8th for the second time. First time was August 2006. We stayed in the Carriage House, as we booked a stay with our cocker spaniels. We love this Inn. See my previous review.

This hotel is lovely! The restaurant is fabulous too! We ate every meal all week! The brunch is the best value. Be sure to get reservations in early as this hotel is packed at dinner time.

Our room was cozy and comfortable and our dogs love the dinner served on a silver platter. Customer service was great and they made our stay completely comfortable.

Shopping is a block away. On days, I thought I was in Amsterdam...the town was over run with european's spending their euro's! Hurray for them!

We will return!

Thanks Harraseeket!

• Liked — The restaurant!
  • Disliked — No outdoor pool!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

We booked a king room and it was superb, service also remains very good. Stayed here last year too and the food remains excellent - must try the made-at-your-table Caesar Salad in the Dining Room restaurant which was excellent. The location can't be faulted either.

• Liked — The quality of the dining
  • Disliked — The A/C in the breakfast room could've been cooler - but this was minor!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Harraseeket Inn? Share your experiences!