“Average, my Dear. Average.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 25 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Bueno Loco offers "CRAZY GOOD" Mayan inspired Mexican cuisine for lunch and dinner. Seasonal, local, and only the freshest ingredients are used to prepare our "made from scratch" menu items. Try something you've never had before like Panuchos or Arrachera Steak seasoned with over 20 secret spices. Or, stick with a classic Bueno Burrito or unique taco... You'll go "loco" for our Mayan Spring Rolls and Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwich. Sip on our House-infused Margarita and be transported to the tropics! Our menu offerings cater to everyone, including those with specific dietary needs such as gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan. Bueno Loco is the restaurant you have been waiting for where everyone from the hard-core carnivore to the strictest vegan will recognize that their needs were addressed when the menu was planned.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Average, my Dear. Average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I ate here by default after making a special trip to Falmouth to visit The Lotus (best Chinese food in the Portland area!) only to find that it has closed. There's nothing wrong with the food at Bueno Loco...but there's nothing specially right about it either. I came away wanting more.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

falmouth, maine
“pleased for the second time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

we wrote a review about this a month ago and went back yesterday for dinner. It was pleasantly busy, not mobbed, but it was a hot saturday night in the middle of tourist season in Maine. We enjoyed it again and have no problem recommending it.
We were seated immediately, decided on the bar. Ordered 2 beers from a decent draft and bottle selection. Beers were fine, cold, clean glasses, as expected. Barb ordered a burrito bowl, I ordered a burrito bueno loco again. It was massive. Both dishes were tasty, fresh, well presented. We thought the salsa was good enough that we ordered chips and salsa separately. Service was fine. Decor fine. We'd branch out into other dishes there but these have been reliable and good. Try it for yourself; we know a few of the people who work there, it isn't a chain, yeah, we know....it isn't up to California mexican food standards...blah...blah...blah... but a lot of the negative reviews were when it was newly opened. We eat all over the place and we are pretty discriminating, and we've enjoyed it.

• Visited July 2013
falmouth, maine
“surprised and satiated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

you know, there's nothing worse than a southern californian or texan telling you it isn't authentic mexican food. We know it isn't. It's Maine, for crying out loud. We also know it is a good restaurant. First of all, i have had "authentic' mexican food, in mexico, in southern california, in texas. You can have it. Not my favorite, perhaps the planet's most overrated cuisine. Generally Mexican food is as exciting as Ensure.
We live in falmouth, we stopped in today thinking it was sort of a burrito place like Bruce's up in Yarmouth. It is a pretty nice space, sit down restaurant, nice bar, understated decor but pleasant. It replaced an O'naturals so we expected that sort of cafeteria atmosphere - order at the burrito bar. We were seated, it was lunch on a hot saturday. We were promptly served. Everything we had was good. My fiancee Barb had tacos and I had a bueno burrito with chicken and it was stuffed. Very good. The chips were fine (poor californians; no chips before the meal...). The Salsa (we got the house) was very good. Hibiscus iced tea was fine. Service quick, attentive, facility was clean. This was good enough that it will hopefully survive in this space. i'd got back again.

• Visited June 2013
Falmouth, ME
“Overpriced & overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I really wanted to like this place, just couldn't wait for it to open, but I don't foresee going again. Ever.
Very soon after it opened, I stopped in for a takeout burrito. There was massive confusion about where to wait & it took close to 45 minutes for me to get my order. I've heard that some of the organizational issues have been sorted out, but it still takes up to a half hour for takeout, which is just not acceptable for a grab & go lunch. In addition, while my burrito was excellent, close to $10 is kind of pricy for a burrito in tin foil, no sides.
Fine. Not a takeout place. So I decided to try a meal at the bar today. First, it's warm today & noting would've been more appreciated than serious refrigeration. But Bueno Loco was downright muggy & unpleasant. Second, my cosmo looked & tasted like fruit punch. I would be surprised if it had any vodka in at all. Third, when I ordered chips & salsa and a burrito, I was given (and charged for) the chips & salsa separately, and not told that the burrito *came* with chips & salsa. And, although there are a number of salsas listed on the menu, I was not given a choice, and both cups of salsa I was given were a kind of bland tomato relish. Really disappointing & unpleasant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brunswick, Maine
“Good food, service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Had been wanting to try this restaurant for a while so finally got there, they have a nice selection of vegetarian, vegan and meat dishes and those that we tried were very good. The service was good and friendly and the restaurant has been decorated very tastefully, no tacky imitation Mexican decorations here. Overall a nice place to stop in and linger awhile over a tasty meal.

• Visited May 2013