“Great location..food is average!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Portland, Maine
“Great location..food is average!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This place was renovated recently and has a great outdoor deck, bar and fire pit. The downstairs has glass garage doors that open to the outside and really has that open air feel when it's warm out.
The food is a bit disappointing and bland. We tried the muscles and the fritters. We have had the muscles in the past and they are hit or miss. This time the muscles were cold, overcooked and served in about a teaspoon of broth (the best part). The bacon/jalapeno/cheddar fritter had little taste along with the garlic aioli. It's a shame because before they remodeled, the food was much better. Please bring back the smoked salmon spread and crusty rolls! If they could bring the two together, this place would be amazing!
However, this is a great place for happy hour on the deck in the summer, I just can't recommend anything on the menu.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“First and Last Time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had a Groupon which led us to try this place. The location is superb. Its on the water. The dining room is very comfortable and great ambiance. Our waitress was wonderful. She was attentive and checked on us a couple of times.

We started off with drinks. I had a margarita with Patron. I could barely detect the tequila. I think it was mostly mix. The drink was served in a beer tumbler advertising Sea Dog or some other beer. My partner had a soda which was also served in the same kind of glass. The prices here are NOT cheap. These glasses are probably promotional freebies that they got from the beer company. You'd think at a classy place with these types of prices that they could serve a margarita in a margarita glass instead of a beer tumbler. The waitress had also asked me if I wanted salt on the rim or not. I said no. I ended up getting salt.

I ordered the flounder and my partner ordered the pollack. Its funny they had no cod or haddock on the menu. Instead they have a low cost fish, pollack, yet hike up the price for the dish. My partner loved his meal. I wish I could have said the same for mine. My dish arrived pooled in oil. It was disgusting. My partner even said something to me about it. I was hesitant about sending it back only because of reading how management has treated other patrons of this place. Fish isn't the hardest thing in the world to cook and certainly when you are plating it, if you are a chef that knows anything about presentation or taste for that matter, you don't send the dish out floating in oil. Unfortunately, I couldn't taste much of the fish. All I could taste was the oil. Its always discouraging going to restaurants that charge high prices for meals that I could make much better myself at home.

Its too bad, if the chef put a little more effort in, this place might do much better.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Maine
“Good, but don't leave the Portland restaurant seen for this one.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We dined with some friends here last Friday. We had a Groupon deal that entitled us to two entrees and an appetizer for $29. The entrees had a $ limit of $24 and the appetizer had to be under $14, but they had a swordfish special that night for $28. The server and manager were most gracious in allowing us to pay the additional $4 to include the swordfish under the Groupon deal. I got the swordfish which was tasty, but they sliced it awfully thin. I really prefer a steak more than 1/2 inch thick. My husband had the salmon, which was good. Our friends each got the Steak Frites, were not cooked to their requests and came rather cold to the table. The other odd thing was that all the dinners except mine were delivered to the table together by two servers and there was no mention of mine. I insisted everyone eat and not wait, but mine took at least another five minutes to arrive. When it did, again, there was no mention or apology for its lateness.

Overall, the food was ok, but there are so many good restaurants in Portland. We might try it in the summer when we can sit on the patio and enjoy the view.

• Visited January 2013
MaineUSA
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've wanted to try the place out since they've done the renovation. We keep our boat in the harbor and in the boatyard in the winter. We were a party of seven and ate in the upstairs area which I thought was attractive. The drink I had was well prepared. Service was a bit slow and the bread though home baked didn't arrive for at least 15 minutes. A quite noisy group came in about halfway through the meal making conversation difficult. I had the flounder which was Ok but not spectacular. My wife had the salmon which she said was Ok. All the diners complained of an undercooked vegetable. We belong to the Portland Yacht Club next door and I found their food experience better. I'll probably try the place again some noontime for the view and hopefully a better experience.

• Visited October 2012
“Mixed Reviews Justified”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We wanted a nice and quiet spot for a special family dinner. It was quiet and nice and the server did a great job...but...I decided to try to write something that addressed other (mixed) reviews. First, let me emphasize that if you go here after dark a great deal of the value is missed because the views of the beautiful bay aren't available (duh! but worth mentioning). The renovations are very nice. Right off the bat I can not only confirm that the beer selection is poor (bottled or draft) but we were informed that no draft beer was available (broken taps?). House Chardonay (dry) was very nice. The menu is limited (for example the only pasta dish was lobster fra diavalo (market priced)). First food was fresh bagette with softened butter...very nice but modest quantity. Then we shared the spring rolls. Very good...about 2 bites for each person but that's what we wanted. The lobster pasta was good, not spicy enough for the diner. Flounder (recommended by the server) was a nice portion and delicious and crispy but heavily buttered (no side dish whatsoever, just fish on a plate). The seared salmon was a reasonably large portion (finished off by others at the table!) and presented nicely over herbed risotto. Quite good. The medium rare burger was huge with a huge stack of fries ($11) and cooked right. They were happy to provvide a box for the uneaten half. Plenty of food so no space for desert. Total bill around $150 with tip (4 drinks, 1 appetizer, 4 main dishes). All-in-all, if they'd have gotten the beer right and maybe a side or 2 with the flounder, I might have written a stronger positive review. For the money, I think there are better choices for evening dining in Portland (only 15 minutes away).

• Visited September 2012