“Not impressive” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   321 High St, Ellsworth, ME 04605   |
Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in Ellsworth
“Not impressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

While I don't think the colonial inn was the worst place I've been it most certainly is not the best. It really needs some updating but didn't find it to be dirty, just old. The staff was pleasant enough. I feel for the price you pay you really could find better at one of the other hotel/motel in the area. However, I don't feel the Inn deserved so many terrible reviews it was just ok for us nothing worth returning to unfortunately

• Stayed September 2013

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I travel all the time in New England, I average 2 nights a week in a Hotel, and could not get a room at any of my regular places in the area. I have stayed in many Hotels and Motels, and never actually walked out on a place before. I booked it last minute because it was the cheapest I could find, about $140US. I checked in and the guy wanted a copy of my license, I said you have my credit card I will show the license, but you are not copying it. That tipped me off right away that something was not right. I went to my room, walked in, opened the slider and curtain and turned a few lights on in the room. I think the place was built in the 70's and has not seen a facelift since. I hate to say anything bad, but sometimes the truth hurts, and this place is dark, dirty, it smells, it's not clean, very outdated, and not worth the money they want.

Room Tip: The best room is any room not there!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Overall staff were nice, great location outside of Bar Harbor and Internet connection was excellent. Room was very old, bed was uncomfortable and everything felt dirty because of age, even though everything seemed fairly clean. Also the price for this room was way overpriced.

Wouldn't recommend this hotel but given the little availability in the area on a long weekend, it is ok.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fryeburg, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Usually I do my homework before I book a room anywhere. This is what you get when you don't. We decided to do a last minute overnight. The location was good, they advertised a kitchen, pool/hot tub and allowed pets. There were many other properties nearby that were priced at almost half of what we paid ($89). The kitchen had a fridge, stove, sink and microwave. The kitchen had nothing else. We brought the ingredients for dinner with us. I went to the Goodwill to buy pans and then to the grocery for dish soap, sponge, paper plates, paper towels and plastic silverware. This added considerably to the cost of our stay. Had I known I could have brought supplies from home. However, after thinking about it I decided that advertising a kitchen with no supplies is like offering beds with no bedding. The room smelled of stale smoke. We sprayed Febreze, used a Febreze candle and used the AC which seemed to help until the staff took their smoking break outside our door. The AC pulled the smoke odor into the room and that was that. With a little research you can do better, good luck.

Room Tip: You'll need a can a Febreze, even for a non smoking room. Also, if you book a room with a kitch...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We booked a non-smoking room and I was very dismayed that as we walked up to our room the whole hall smell the cigarette smoke, And also marijuana. I believe all they did was put a sign on the door to the room saying no smoking and decided that the rooms were no smoking that meanwhile the carpets the beds the pillows the wallpaper and everything has nicotine embedded in We got up very early on our second morning and left at 6 AM as we could sleep no longer, Our throats our eyes and a chest were all burning from the residual cigarette smoke. We also had to ask for a hair dryer and also the people in our next room Going in and out in and out to their vehicles all night long and yelling back-and-forth. We should have slept in our truck at the roadside rest stop

• Stayed May 2013
Auburn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Staff was accommodating. Most of our group (19 bikes most 2up) were located in the back building, which was conveinent for after a day of riding to gather every one together for a refreshment or two. There were at least two restaurants within walking distance. The rooms that most of us were in did not have a fridge (ice,trash can, sink or tub made a nice cooler) or microwave. My wife saw one of the rooms in the main building and it had kitchenette.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel was fine for a two day stay. It catered for a range of visitors including families with youg children as well as couples.Rooms were large, clean and basic with tea and coffee facilities.We were allocated a ground floor room at the back that had a patio door straight to our parking bay.Unfortunately the weather was atrocious but the young families made the most of the indoor pool.Breakfast was basic - coffee, cereal and muffins but plenty of it. Well situated for the National Park and Bar Harbour. There were two restaurants in walking distance from the hotel both Chinese, one linked to the hotel the other 300 yards further down the road, walking distance but no clear sidewalk. Other than chinese a car is needed.The hotel is on a one way system so the first manouevre anywhere is to turn right.
Good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!