“Dream gone bad” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Nb Canada
“Dream gone bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I hate to write negative reviews about a place, but i guess thats what Trip Advisor is about. I booked the Homestead because i have previously stayed there. I knew it was an older , dated motel but it was quaint. I have to say it has gone downhill in the last 4 years. I made reservations directly to the motel. When i got there , i was very surprised at the condition of the main building let alone the outside of the accomodations. The lawn was over grown, the shrubbery was overgrown, there was rubbish piled in the yard.
There was no one in the office, and i waited for about 20 mins, all the time thinking i need to cancel my reservation. While i was waiting another couple came by and said they too had been waiting but cancelled their reservations based on what they saw "outside". I went for a drive and called to cancel, but the owner called me back within 5 mins. I went over to check it, thinking it cant be too bad.
I checked in, went in the room and realized that it was bad, firstly they charged me a rate that was waaaayyy too high for what this was. the cabin was dark and dingy, no ac , the heater was a small forced air stuck in the wall , there was an old refrigerator probably from the 70s and one of the earliest models of Microwaves.
The Homestead is in a nice location, and it used to be a reasonable place to stay , even if it was dated. It could be a gold mine if the owner invested even 10,000 in the place, even a good landscaping job would help ( i thought the place was closed) .
If you are in the hospitality business , you must respect the fact that people PAY you for a decent place to stay. You need to put some of this pay BACK into the business.
Even if you phased the renos,, replaced some furniture, replaced the tvs in a couple of rooms. change the mattresses ,, even one room a month, in a year you would almost have it all renovated. We dont mind paying a 100 bucks, if its worth it, but we dont want to feel gouged.
Doug, Please , have a look at your rooms. or try staying in the cabins with your family.
It may be time to revisit the "dream"

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I agree with most of the complaints in the other reviews, except that I did not experience bad service or bedbugs. The place is in pretty bad shape. If you are looking for a nice, good-looking motel, don't stay here. However, if you are looking for a less expensive place with friendly service, Homestead is fine. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked my stay at the Homestead Motel and Cottages online through hotels.com the night before since I had a last minute change of plans and decided to stay in the area an extra night. Not may of the local cottages/motels in the area go through these booking websites, so I was happy to find a guaranteed room for the next night. This is a family owned business and the owner was very helpful and friendly. The main building and the surrounding gardens are quintessentially New England. The cottage I stayed in was clean and comfortable in spite of the mismatched decor. If I wanted a cookie cutter room, I would have stayed at a large hotel chain and paid twice the price. The bed was actually really comfortable and the shower was nice and hot, which was all I needed after hiking all day in Acadia in the rain. There was also a continental breakfast with bagels, muffins, juice, and coffee. One thing to note is that with hotels.com, all of the fees weren't included in the price I thought I was paying so it ended up being about $12 more than I thought. All in all, I am happy to support the local businesses in the area and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cincinnatus, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My sister and I had never been there before and we don't have a lot of money.It's definitely not the Hampton Inn.but we where very pleased with the results.Very clean,affordable,the service was very pleasant,anything we needed they accommodated,would recommend,will be staying there again!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Eastport, Maine, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Worst, most disgusting place I have ever been to. First off, the online pictures and just the whole general thing of it was a 100% completely wrong. We drove up and the looks of it were bleak. It looked old and run down. Had a bad feeling about it from the start. Went to check in and we were charged an additional $8.75 for doing it online and the taxes were close to $10 also. So we paid almost $20 more than was expected. We were supposed to be charged only $77 and we ended up paying $101. The outside around the office had garbage and things all over the yard that was just gross and if there were people around they would have to walk around it all just to get into the Office. Office smelled like a nursing home. We drove up to the cottage that we were given, #7, and there were weeds that were as tall as me all around every cottage, looked like it had never been cut. The screen door had holes in it that were covered by duct tape and there were bricks spaced apart as the steps so one bad step and there goes your ankle. When we walked in there was a musty moldy smell. The celling had huge close to black water marks. When we sat on the bed we sunk right in like the beds were so old and over used. Walking into the bathroom, the tub had duct tape over rotted wood with mold on it. The wall connecting the corners of the room together was apart, you could stick your hand in there if you wanted to. Just walking into that place made me feel nauseous. So we decided to go talk to the owner about getting a refund because it was just disgusting. When we did we brought up the mold and how bad the room was and he immediately said that the celling was not new it was old and they needed a new roof, he argued about the mold that I told him I would show to him. We gave him back the key and just left without the refund because he wouldn’t give it back. Tomorrow I am calling health services on him also. No person should stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Marblehead, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

When I got there there was no one in the office to meet me. I waited almost an hour for someone to give me my key.

I had rented a cottage thinking I'd get a kitchenette, I brought food with me, but the cottages are nothing but rooms with a bed and a bathroom.
I don't know what the difference is between the cottages and the motel rooms.
My cottage was musty and overbearing with a bleach or cleaning agent.

This place is in bad shape. All the buildings need renovation and the grounds need to be cleaned up. The chairs outside the rooms were dirty and wet. I wouldn't use them.

I doubt that these people get much repeat business and while I was there at least two renters didn't stay after they saw what they were getting.

Don't go there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Certainly good value to stay here - but was a bit old and dirty - needs to be renovated somewhat. Even some fresh paint might help. I was lucky as I had no problems with bed bugs.

The owner was friendly and it was a convenient location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellsworth
Ramada Ellsworth
Jasper's Motel & Restaurant
Jasper's Motel & Restaurant
#8 of 10 in Ellsworth
3.0 of 5 stars 61 reviews

Been to Homestead Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!