“Not pretty, but good enough” 3 of 5 stars

Homestead Motel and Cottages
143 Bucksport Road, Ellsworth, ME 04605   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not pretty, but good enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I agree with most of the complaints in the other reviews, except that I did not experience bad service or bedbugs. The place is in pretty bad shape. If you are looking for a nice, good-looking motel, don't stay here. However, if you are looking for a less expensive place with friendly service, Homestead is fine. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked my stay at the Homestead Motel and Cottages online through hotels.com the night before since I had a last minute change of plans and decided to stay in the area an extra night. Not may of the local cottages/motels in the area go through these booking websites, so I was happy to find a guaranteed room for the next night. This is a family owned business and the owner was very helpful and friendly. The main building and the surrounding gardens are quintessentially New England. The cottage I stayed in was clean and comfortable in spite of the mismatched decor. If I wanted a cookie cutter room, I would have stayed at a large hotel chain and paid twice the price. The bed was actually really comfortable and the shower was nice and hot, which was all I needed after hiking all day in Acadia in the rain. There was also a continental breakfast with bagels, muffins, juice, and coffee. One thing to note is that with hotels.com, all of the fees weren't included in the price I thought I was paying so it ended up being about $12 more than I thought. All in all, I am happy to support the local businesses in the area and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cincinnatus, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My sister and I had never been there before and we don't have a lot of money.It's definitely not the Hampton Inn.but we where very pleased with the results.Very clean,affordable,the service was very pleasant,anything we needed they accommodated,would recommend,will be staying there again!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Eastport, Maine, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Worst, most disgusting place I have ever been to. First off, the online pictures and just the whole general thing of it was a 100% completely wrong. We drove up and the looks of it were bleak. It looked old and run down. Had a bad feeling about it from the start. Went to check in and we were charged an additional $8.75 for doing it online and the taxes were close to $10 also. So we paid almost $20 more than was expected. We were supposed to be charged only $77 and we ended up paying $101. The outside around the office had garbage and things all over the yard that was just gross and if there were people around they would have to walk around it all just to get into the Office. Office smelled like a nursing home. We drove up to the cottage that we were given, #7, and there were weeds that were as tall as me all around every cottage, looked like it had never been cut. The screen door had holes in it that were covered by duct tape and there were bricks spaced apart as the steps so one bad step and there goes your ankle. When we walked in there was a musty moldy smell. The celling had huge close to black water marks. When we sat on the bed we sunk right in like the beds were so old and over used. Walking into the bathroom, the tub had duct tape over rotted wood with mold on it. The wall connecting the corners of the room together was apart, you could stick your hand in there if you wanted to. Just walking into that place made me feel nauseous. So we decided to go talk to the owner about getting a refund because it was just disgusting. When we did we brought up the mold and how bad the room was and he immediately said that the celling was not new it was old and they needed a new roof, he argued about the mold that I told him I would show to him. We gave him back the key and just left without the refund because he wouldn’t give it back. Tomorrow I am calling health services on him also. No person should stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Marblehead, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

When I got there there was no one in the office to meet me. I waited almost an hour for someone to give me my key.

I had rented a cottage thinking I'd get a kitchenette, I brought food with me, but the cottages are nothing but rooms with a bed and a bathroom.
I don't know what the difference is between the cottages and the motel rooms.
My cottage was musty and overbearing with a bleach or cleaning agent.

This place is in bad shape. All the buildings need renovation and the grounds need to be cleaned up. The chairs outside the rooms were dirty and wet. I wouldn't use them.

I doubt that these people get much repeat business and while I was there at least two renters didn't stay after they saw what they were getting.

Don't go there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Certainly good value to stay here - but was a bit old and dirty - needs to be renovated somewhat. Even some fresh paint might help. I was lucky as I had no problems with bed bugs.

The owner was friendly and it was a convenient location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Don't know why I picked this place but did so without reading reviews and because I wanted to minimize expenses. I hope to keep others from making my mistake. The "cottage" provided was VERY musty and moldy smelling on entry. Going into the bathroom I felt like I would fall down because the property has settled and is literally "tilted" now! Room was VERY dark even in the daylight hours. Old, smelly carpet and bedding seemed old too. Deadbolt would not lock. "Breakfast" was offered but I did not want to stick around for it the next morning. Could not sit in chairs outside as they were dirty and full of water. Had difficulty even finding the place in the first place as one sign is hidden by bushes on one side and not readable on the highway side. In attempting to find the place, I called and got a lengthy voicemail with no return call. People at a motel next door (which looked very nice and is only a few dollars more according to the internet) had to point out the location of this motel. I DO NOT RECOMMEND STAYING HERE. (And, if there is ever a fire in the bushes, this place will probably burn down. Vegitation is way too close to the buildings in the back.) By the way, the foto on the web site is the house where office is. Not the rooms.

Room Tip: Save your money.