“From best to worst” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Maine
“From best to worst”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Mex was a favorite for many years, in my opinion even Taco Bell is a step ahead. Drinks are good so have a couple some nacho then go somewhere else for the meal.

Visited October 2013

Greensboro, Vermont
“AWFUL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

The Mex should not even pretend to be a Mexican restaurant. Sure it has the music, the Corona beer signs, chilly pepper lights and a menu describing Mexican food but those are the only things that even come close to being Mexican. We went there with friends and we were all very disappointed. I ordered the Taco dish and asked for the ground beef stuffing, there was less than a tablespoon of meat in each Taco and NO SEASONING, it was tasteless along with a few shreds of cheese and big lettuce pieces. The refried beans and rice were cold and tasteless. The other dishes ordered were Fajitas and a combo platter same results, all bad. In addition to the bad food the restaurant is dirty even the plastic coated menus were filthy. The food is way overpriced, the only thing that was acceptable was the draft beer. The only positive thing that can be said about our dinner was the waitress she great.
It is unusual for me to give a bad rating but this one is really deserving!!

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ellsworth, Maine
“No Bueno!!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

First and foremost....... Do not eat at this establishment. Here are just a few reasons: everything is dirty, the food is bland and overpriced, the service is atrocious and extremely slow. If you really want good Mexican take the drive to Bangor and go to Pipinos

Islesboro, Maine
“Inconsistent Mex”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I wish I could give this a better review. Inconsistent is a better rating for me. I have been visiting Ellsworth and the Mex over the past year and haven't had the same food, service or drinks at any visit. Overall, the food is decent, fresh and at a good price. That said, the service has been all over the place from attentive to being ignored. On other spot to mention is that the drinks seem to be made with mixes and they don't compliment the food very well. Maybe if I went more frequently, as I see some locals writing, I would experience something different.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ellsworth, Maine
“Our Favorite DownEast Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

It's hard to believe other raters are talking about the same restaurant. I fell in love with Mexican Food during my college years in California. When I moved back to Maine it was very hard to adjust to the imitation Mexican restaurants here. Then, 30 years ago, we found and instantly fell in love with "The Mex". We have looked forward to returning to Ellsworth every summer to savor their unique, always delicious, wide array of Mexican delights. The service has always been, and remains, excellent. Our summer guests love The Mex as much as we do; some for the excellent margaritas, some for the Acapulco Empanadas filled with fresh local shellfish and others for a slice of Mextasy Pie.

• Visited January 2014