“False Advertising” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 58 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“False Advertising”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I scouted out this place via the Internet to have my first whole lobster dinner as a Midwestern lad visiting New England for the first time with my wife of 25 years. The website makes this dining experience look worthy of the occasion. Credit to their website designers who make this restaurant way better than it is. The main dining room where we were seated was plain and lacked any ambiance. But yet I had high hopes for the meal. The clam chowder was good. The lobster claws were also good, but rest of it was not very good. My wife is much more of a seafood lover, and she complained about lobster tail being very rubbery and fishy tasting. But the REAL disappointment was the blueberry pie. The website makes one believe it alone is worth traveling from Missouri to experience. It was a very basic piece of pie, NOTHING like what this restaurant advertises. I felt had.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Are You Kidding Me?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

After reading the reviews I chanted periodically in Rainman fashion, "Must eat at the Union River Lobster Pot" on our trip up from PA. As the blessed day arrived I envisioned myself eating the most succulent lobster of my dreams. The reality was that the environment reminded me of a restaurant where seniors wait outside for the doors to open and stare like vultures at other diner's meals. Being a senior myself I can say this. My son would refer to it as a "blue hair" restaurant. I had a sinking feeling when I saw that the boiled lobster dinner "came" with fries and slaw. I wasn't wrong. The coleslaw may as well have come from the supermarket, the fries were limp and tasteless and the lobster was in a class all it's own and not in a good way. Basically it was a boiled, tasteless rubber band. My husband had the same meal. my grandson had some other lobster dish and I forget what my daughter had. None of us liked our food and the atmosphere felt so creepy all we wanted was to get the check and get out asap. Our service was mediocre as well. I like two glasses of wine with dinner. When I have to crane my neck like a chicken to get the waiter's attention for a refill a half hour after being served dinner and he acts as though it's an inconvenience, I'm not pleased. Want some awesome lobster that's inexpensive? Go to the Fishnet in Blue Hill and get the lobster roll. Now THAT'S lobster!

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not very exceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I ate here last week. I found the meal to be average and the portions on the small size.
There is no ambiance, plus as we got there later in the evening, most of the diners were leaving.
There was a disturbing bustle by many of the staff clearing off about 4 tables and obviously starting on cleaning the place for the next day. I found it very distracting as were in the middle of trying to enjoy our meal..
We won't be back. I enjoy a quieter meal in a place with a little more ambiance. Plus more food on my plate for what they charge here.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Volusia County Fla.
“Location, Service and Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Bad things; even though the place was less than half full and the weather was great we were not offered a seat in the screen porch. We did not know the porch was there until we left, The 'kitchen nazi' did not try to keep himself hidden from guests while driving the staff to perfection.
Good things; SERVICE, riverfront downtown, large portions, lengthy menu.
In general the place is okay. Prices are a bit higher than area averages. The modern fittings and efficient operation make this a very comfortable place to eat.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cape Coral Florida
“Real Restaurant - Wonderful Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have eaten frequently at the Union River Lobster Pot and have been delighted every time. The seafood is excellent - fresh as fresh can be and well prepared. I like sitting on the screen porch and watching the river meander by. We are seasonal visitors and this is my "Go To" place for lobster when I first arrive and the last place we eat before we leave. The people are friendly and helpful, service is good and there is always a nice glass of wine to be had with the seafood. Ahhhh! Wish I had room for desert

I just have to add that I am perplexed that a food truck and an ice cream parlor are ranked ahead of real restaurants when searching restaurants in Ellsworth on Trip Advisor. Ellsworth has many good restaurants to choose from. It is kind of laughable but not really right in my opinion. Makes us look dorky here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere