“nice but take your chances” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cleonice Mediterranean Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 56 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between State and Store St
Belfast, Maine
“nice but take your chances”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Nice place but on a Sunday afternoon for lunch you might do better elsewhere. Kitchen seemed more interested in closing than serving, so why be open in the first place? The rueben is a bizarre interpretation of the classic served with a pickle the size of a toothpick. We nearly fell asleep waiting for our meals and there were only two other customers. We would try it again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Sedgwick, Maine
“Consistent excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

. Every once in a while a restaurant stays in your mind because they have something on the menu that's extraordinary. Cleonice has many of these dishes, but today I was craving their Middle Eastern lamb burger on a pita with spicy whipped feta and tzatziki. It has been one of my many favorite dishes there for years, so we went there for lunch. It was everything I had wanted and more. The server (Eliza) remembered that the last time I was there it had been slightly overcooked (I had forgotten that) and she made sure this one was perfect. It was. Everything was excellent. Dinners are equally as great and I couldn't recommend Cleonice enough. If you are anywhere near Ellsworth, do yourself a favor and eat there.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NC
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Service and food both were superb!!!!!!! Fresh and flavorful. Entrees and tapas. Even the wine choices. Menu changes weekly.

Belfast, Maine
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We loved going to Cleonice for lunch and on special occassion dinner, but was disappointed when they changed venues and completely changed the entire experience that we used to drive 50 miles for. Their previous place was so unique and classy. I think they took away the only nice place to eat this side of Bar Harbor and Bangor. So my 3 stars was because I went to the cafe and was very disappointed in the quality of the menus and service.

Visited November 2012
Cary H, Owner at Cleonice Mediterranean Bistro, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
I am so sorry to hear you were disappointed in our new venue. It is certainly a different feeling and has been an adjustment for us as well. We continue to work on the space to give the dining room a more cozy feel while keeping the relaxed atmosphere of The Maine Grind cafe in the front.

We continue to serve carefully sourced local foods, and our standards for service, food, and changing and exciting menu have not changed. I hope that you'll give us a chance to serve you in our dining room sometime.

Thank you for your input.
Hancock, Maine
“comfortable and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have been eating at Cleonice since I moved to Maine in 2006 and never had a bad meal. It took a while to get used to their new "digs" in the Maine Grind but now I appreciate the airy, light space. I have gone with my late husband, children, friends, and now boyfriend. It is comfortable environment where the waitstaff is friendly but professional. I love that I can sit with a glass of wine and relax while waiting for friends and no one pressures me. I can even sit with my laptop and use the free wi-fi without feeling inappropriate. The food is marvelous and I've never seen any of the waitstaff look unhappy when I've dined on tapas. The addition of the daily pizza (baked in their new pizza oven) is a delicious treat and I often dine on that plus their spinach and chevre salad. I recommend all their dishes and even though I am not a meat eater, per se, I can tell you the small plate of steak frites is amazing. Recommended highly. I'll see you there.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cary H, Manager at Cleonice Mediterranean Bistro, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We strive to give the kind of experience that you've described.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.