“I was left hungry” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cleonice Mediterranean Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 58 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cross street: between State and Store St
Portland, Maine
“I was left hungry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was excited to try the new Cleonice, I had some very wonderful food at the last location. The green salad was o.k., but not extraordinary. The wine I ordered by the glass was very good, but the amount served was too small for how much I paid. The swordfish I had was delicious, but came with only one spear of broccoli. For the price , there was not enough food, I left hungry. A plate that costs $26 should have more on it than one spear of broccoli and a piece of fish. The restaurant was overheated and the water was served warm. I had to ask twice to have my glass refilled. My bill of $40 did not reflect the service and food.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Best of the new Cleonice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have been to old Cleonice for years each summer. read tripadvisor reviews and was worried. Had dinner tonight when Maine Grind was closed and only Cleonice open. Fantastic. Cream of Broccoli soup to die for. Pialla was rich with seafood, fresh peas, chicken, chorico. Beef in champagne orange sauce was exquisite. Don't look for old venue, the change is different, more open, very accomodating for dinner. Chocolate Mousse and Strawberry's on short bread were excellent. They still had my favorite spanish red wine at a reasonable price. Just get rid of the brown paper over the white table cloths. Can't wait to do again!!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ellsworth, Maine
“Fantastic + Local Ingredients makes me feel great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Deliscious food made with real ingredients. I just love when I get to eat out and at a small local place and I am eating local food. I think you can taste the difference of fresh local greens and cheeses not to mention local meats and seafood. Maine has a thriving agricultural scene. Cleonice has been at the forefront of the farm to fork movement from the beginning. Like any small business they have gone through their fair share of challenges and a move to a new location recently is among the most difficult. With the quality of food they are serving and the earnest folks they have working for them I trust Cary and Rich ( owners) will come out on top as a continued favorite with the foodies in this area. I had a deli sandwich with the toppings of my choice on foccacia bread - I chose local beets--on Tuna Salad- wow was that a treat, zesty with just the right amount of sweet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Camden, Maine
“from amazing to below average in one summer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

we look forward to visiting cleonice and heard they moved,I get the move more space maybe the building was getting old,whatever,we go for the food,it has changed also in my opinion..the baba ghanoush was bland and missing the roasted smokey flavor it had last time,hummus also missing any flavor,had fish entrees fresh but boring,,pizza burnt and just uneatable,tziki last season was real cultured yogurt not oakhurst watery type,cold service and very very average will never be back,I considered this one of the top 10 places in the state last season and told everyone who goes to bar harbor dont miss this it,sorry for the bad comments but we were really looking forward to our visit this summer and it fell short

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cary H, Owner at Cleonice Mediterranean Bistro, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
So sorry you had a bad experience. I appreciate hearing your criticisms so that I can correct the issues. I will stress the importance of tasting food (hummus and baba ganouj) to ensure it is seasoned properly and up to par. I assure you that we continue to use Smith Family Farm local yogurt, unless it is unavailable in which case we use Stonyfield. So sorry we were so off the mark with you on your visit. We are still the same Cleonice and will strive to do our best.

We are excited about our new space and improved kitchen facilities. As we settle into our new location, we are confident that our cuisine will meet or surpass what we were able to do in our former space. Please give us another opportunity to show you what we can do.
Ellsworth, Maine
“Not what expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our first time to their new location further up Main St. We were anxious to see all the changes & it definitely will work for breakfast & lunch. It is part Maine Grind, & part Cleonice minus the charm & atmosphere of the old place. Really miss the fabulous bar. They have a pizza oven, but there was only 1 pizza offering. Very few moderate priced dinner options, we shared a Caesar salad & a hamburger, both of which were very good. I had ordered a side of sweet potatoe fries which never arrived. Dinner seating is very tight, tables super close together. No romantic dinner, or privacy--please bring back the booths & more reasonably priced entrees.

• Visited April 2013