“They are *trying*” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Freehold, New Jersey
“They are *trying*”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

I rated this place "average" because I can see how some people would find this little motel adequate. Plus, I didn't feel right rating it "poor" or "terrible".

For me, this is about the minimum accommodation I can imagine staying in. Any less and I would feel better off sleeping in my car.

What was good was that it appeared that my room had been gone through and some real attempt had been made to recondition it. I'm talking about walls, floor, etc.

But furniture? Recycled Salvation Army.

Size? Tiny.

Bathroom? A closet.

Overall look from the outside? The sign is nice. The rest was rather ramshackle and depressing to me.

The lady who runs this place seems very nice. However, make sure you look at the room before you sign the *contract* you have to execute to stay there, because if you have second thoughts about your stay when you see the room, it's too late -- you've already signed.

If you're a camping type, and you don't need much space, you should be OK. If you want much more than a place to camp out while you explore this lovely area, you should look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Find a nicer place to stay.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
twilite, Owner at Twilite Motel, responded to this review, November 15, 2014
We are sorry to hear that the guest did not find his accommodation satisfactory.
While décor is about personal taste we would like to comment on the ‘contract issue’.
We are surprised that the guest that appears to be well traveled never came across the routine sign-in process into a motel/hotel. Any guest can exercise his right to just ‘walk –in’ inspect a room and decide to stay or not. A reservation however is a contract between a guest and the motel, and it means that after discussing the different options and prices, the room chosen by the guest will be kept for him. I’m sure that you would not like to arrive an find that your room was already rented out.
We have different types of rooms, some are smaller and some bigger. It is the right of a guest to choose what he thinks fits his needs, and in this case the room chosen was one of the smaller rooms. All our rooms descriptions appear on the internet plus, the differences between the rooms are routinely explained during any direct phone reservation (which was the case here.)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

We stayed here in October because we had enjoyed our stay two years ago. We really like the motel because it is quiet, comfortable, and in a good location. The owners are very nice. The blueberry muffins are delicious.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
State College
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

The owners were lovely, and the room itself -- while a little unusual -- was very clean and cozy. Breakfast was simple but had a decent selection. Of course, pet friendly was a must for us, so that counts for a lot. Our only complaint was that the walls are rather thin, so we could hear a lot of banging around in the next room. The oldschool heater was a little daunting and took a while to get started, but the rooms are very well maintained. We agreed that we would stay again, especially if traveling with the pooch.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Vernon, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

I have previously visited and reviewed this hotel a couple of years ago. To me, the gold question is "Would you stay there again"? In the case of the Twilite, the answer is a a resounding yes, and I did. Once again, very friendly and helpful people run it. They did remember me from last time, and gave me a warm welcome. As before, the rooms are very clean, and well maintained. A nice amenity basket for your room, including a sewing kit, nice touch. The complimentary continental breakfast gets you off to a good day. The location is very convenient, the WiFi works great. Very quiet, good beds, and plenty of hot water. So, would I once again stay here? Yes, and on my next trip I most certainly will.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014

Value for price was very good. Our room was very clean, quaint and cozy for a motel. Excellent hot water for shower. I appreciated the night light in the bathroom, how often do you see that at a motel and I also thought the packaged essentials of sewing kit/Qtip/makeup remover was a nice touch. If you are a hiker/walker, you can actually walk into town and should be able to handle the steep hill coming back. A good workout that you'll need if you have dinner at the Union River Lobster Pot (about to close for the season, we were fortunate to visit during their last week). Breakfast was oatmeal, bagels, pastry, applesauce, different types of bread, served its purpose

Room Tip: We were in room 2. No hairdryer though there was a coffee pot, cable TV though not HD, alarm clock a...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Chesterfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

We love this place. It is super convenient on Route 1, pet friendly with large grassy areas, and the rooms are always very clean. The owner is really nice and the breakfast is good. It's a cute place. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Harrison, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

We stayed here for two nights. The motel doesn't look like much from the outside, but the rooms are clean and a good value. The breakfast is continental with really good muffins. The owner is so very pleasant. He goes out of his way to take care of his guests. The rooms need renovating. I have a bad back and could not sleep on the mattress. My husband had no problems. The room was extremely noisy. It sounded like someone in another room was bouncing off the walls until 10 p.m. The motel is conveniently located to Acadia National Park. If you want clean, good value, and nice people stay here.

Room Tip: The area back from the road is nice.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Twilite Motel? Share your experiences!