“Sadly Lacking” 1 of 5 stars
Review of High Meadows Bed and Breakfast

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eliot
High Meadows Bed and Breakfast
You added High Meadows Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Route 101, Eliot, ME 03903   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Eliot B&B and Inns
Massachusetts
“Sadly Lacking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2005

The good: This is a pre-revolution home situated atop a hill in a beautiful area of Eliot surrounded by rolling farmland acres. The home was built in 1739 & its interior pays homage to that period w/well decorated guestrooms filled w/antiques. The owners also respected the original structure and made minimal updates in the guest rooms. My room's modern amenity was a shower stall in the bathroom ,a modern toilet& electricity. The rest of the room was like entering a timewarp: low ceilings, uneven large wooden plank flooring, tiny windows. There was no air conditioning or fans which was OK because it was cool at night. The exterior foundation as well as the grounds are well-maintained.
The Terrible & thus the rating: cobwebs, cobwebs, cobwebs- everywhere in my room. Along w/the cobwebs were the spiders. Then there was the film of dust, EVERYWHERE. It penetrated the linens, tapestries & wallpaper. Because everything was so old & not properly housekept, there was the addition of a musty, thick air about. I was afraid to sleep in the bed. The bed sheets were a deep wine color and it appeared that they were not freshly changed. One of my pillows had bedhead odor so I removed it from the bed ( there were 2). The proprietess, god bless her heart, was a shy but sweet octagenerian. She appeared to have vision problems and that may account for the above. Just visualize entering Miss Havisham's home in
Dickens' Great Expectations. Get the picture?
I cannot imagine that she alone does the cleaning of this home. It is such a large house. After seeing my room I began to worry about breakfast the next morning, because the proprietess said she did all the cooking. As I feared, the tableware was cracked, chipped & stained. Then my appetite plummeted as soon as I laid eyes on the choices. I took small bites and shoved my food around a lot while intentionally keeping a running conversation w/the other houseguest. I felt so sorry for this proprietess that I couldn't bring myself to make any complaints. Since I was going to be there only one night I felt I just needed to bear it. You all , be forewarned.

1 review from our community

Been to High Meadows Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!