The view and location of this place is great. The area of Boothbay is lovely and we'd definitely go back, but we would not stay here again. (A note that Boothbay is surprisingly dog friendly which was nice even though we didn't bring ours!) We did have a Groupon so the rates were reasonable, but this place needs a serious deep cleaning and some updates. We had booked 3 nights in a "Lantern" room overlooking the water, but it wasn't available when we arrived (someone decided to stay over an additional night) so we were "upgraded" to a room with a kitchenette "free of charge". There was a moldy sponge in there that made the entire room stink, and the bathroom and "kitchen area" were filthy (in both of our rooms). There were spiderwebs, mold, dust, etc. Couldn't wait to get home and wash everything we had! Extra pillows were provided but didn't even have pillowcases (ew!) so we didn't use them. Also - in the lantern room, it is advertised as having a "private" balcony. It's just separated by a board, so if you're hoping for a romantic evening alone watching the sunset, you may very well have your neighbors right beside you. The pool was okay - chairs were dirty (some broken) and "towels" provided were more of a washcloth size than anything you could dry off with. Lots of kids and families which was a little noisy at times (understandable - just something to note in case you're traveling as a couple). As for the restaurant, they did not offer breakfast as advertised, and even though we had a $15 credit (Groupon) we didn't go after hearing horror stories from other guests. They said they were out of everything (no buns for hamburgers, no wine, etc). One last note - there was never any close parking! Not that it's a big place, but if you go into town for dinner, be prepared to have to park at the last spot in the lot. This is a minor detail, but when you're carrying your luggage it can be frustrating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Smugglers Cove Inn is a quaint inn located just a few miles east of Boothbay Harbor. We have five different buildings to choose from, all of which have a gorgeous view of Linekin Bay from their private balconies. We have our own sandy beach and heated swimming pool that you can watch lobster men haul in their traps. Free WiFi, Pet Friendly, Continental Breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Sunset Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Smugglers Cove Hotel East Boothbay
- Sunset Beach Maine/East Boothbay