“Must-see!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
“Must-see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I just went on the Sunset cruise last weekend. It was absolutely gorgeous. We were very close to the surrounding islands and even saw two bald eagles. The crew was very nice and there was one young gal on the crew with beautiful red hair that was kind enough to give me her jacket! (it is VERY cold out on the water) she was very helpful explaining everything and made us feel genuinely welcome. There was a man playing his guitar and singing and the entire experience was very good. Also there were two black dogs on board that were very well mannered. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the ocean as much as I do.

Visited May 2011

seattle
32 attraction reviews
“Very disappointing- save your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

It's a beautiful ship under full sail but the crew was so unfriendly and did not make any attempt to engage the passengers in conversation. One gal was sleeping standing up. Even the girl singing on our cruise had no personality. There were tip jars all over the ship but no one deserved a tip in my opinion. Completely joyless experience. Take a picture of it in the harbor with the sails up but otherwise save your money. Not worth your time or money.

Newport RI
“Margaret Toad - Priced about double what it is worth.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Took a "1 1/2-2 hour" (just over 1 hour long) sunset cruise last weekend. Perfect weather. Light (5 knot) breeze and a few light clouds. The boat filled up more and more - not many an empty seat. I was surprised at the number of people aboard and it did feel a little cluttered when under way.
Crew were pretty anti social - looked upon us as land lubbers I guess (though I am more experienced than most of them I am sure).
For $35 per adult I thought it a little steep. But why not. After a late departure - sails went up. A nice calm sail behind the first island. We make two tacks. The sun starts to glow and we head for home - Was barely an hour and the sun was still up as the sails came down and docklines were at the ready.
Also worth noting that the boat is long overdue for some $$ to be spent. The running rigging is the WORST I have seen on any sail boat - worn out polypropylene 3 strand for sheets? Come on guys. Spend some of the cash you are raking in on a little maintainance and give the crowds (at the very least) what they are paying for. 2.85 miles (by GPS) round trip is barely a cruise, trip, or value. It is hardly an experience and almost a sunset. 100+ tickets at $35 a piece?? Come on!!
Best Value I found is the 5 Light House tour on the Bay King III Whale Watch power cat - 4 actual hours and over 50 miles for $40. New Boat and friendly crew. You have a much better experience.

New York City, New York
15 attraction reviews
“Margaret Todd: Worse than Dissapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

The Margaret Todd sails out of Bar Harbor (not out of Cherryfield.) The experiece I had was terribly dissapointing as I have enjoyed sailing on several similar ships in other coastal towns (Booth Bay Harbor, Provincetown, etc.) Worst parts: The stench from below deck was so bad that I had to give up my seat and stand in the front of the boat. I can't imagine what I would have had to endure if I had had to use the bathroom myself. When I moved forward I noticed that one of the glass panes in a foreward skylight was broken. Anyone losing their balance could have lost a finger or worse. When I asked a crew member if they were aware of this situation he replied "it is on our list". The peeling paint on board was yet another sign that this boat is not maintained appropriately. The attitude of the captain and crew was also different than what I have experienced before. Bottom line is they seemed tense and not friendly. While a ride on this sail boat is better than no sail boat ride at all I recommend considering a smaller ship.

Mpls Minnesota
“fun time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

we (four adults and two children) took the morning cruise and the crew got the sails up and we had the experience of silent running then back to port with the diesel engine. As advertised the afternoon had more wind but we enjoyed our ride with a light wind. it was about the right length for us with two young-ones. We lunched at Stewman's sitting at the "Obama" table. what a thrill.