“Lovely room in a beautiful cozy village” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Manor Inn to your Saves list
The Manor Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   76 Battle Avenue, PO Box 873, Castine, ME   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Castine B&B and Inns
“Lovely room in a beautiful cozy village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in an old mansion overlooking the village.
It's a great place for relaxing in an area of Maine which is less packed of tourists.
The room we had was very big, with our own fireplace and a reading room (not heated, so it is not so useful in winter).
The owners were very kind and friendly.
A place to visit again!!!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lisburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We hadn't booked but managed to get a room with a great view over the front lawn with the water in the distance. The room was really quaint and although there was no television etc. this did nothing to take away from its charm. We had dinner in the hotel and the meal was heavenly. The setting was great with the grand piano playing in the background in the next room. The beds were very comfortable - nice and firm, and the breakfast was very good although not very substantial. Unfortunately the manner of the lady serving breakfast, left something to be desired. Overall however this was a very good experience and one we'd love to repeat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brookline, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I experienced Castine for the first time last week. I absolutely loved the town. The hotel was exactly what I would expect for the area. I loved the older style manor as opposed to being in the chain type hotel. I absolutely loved that there was no television in the room and we could enjoy peace and quiet. The people there were great. Nice hiking area right behind the manor. The breakfast was delicious!! Thank you for a great stay...we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

The inn looks beautiful from a distance, but up close it is a bit of a wreck. Our room was very uncomfortable, the floor was almost at a 15 degree slant and the beds were short. Didn't seem to be a lot of people working there, so sometimes it was hard to find assistance. The breakfast was yummy though. Overall I would recommend going elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012
Cranston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I've read the reviews and am happy to report that we had a wonderful experience at The Manor Inn.
I originally booked the room via internet and received an email back from the owner, Nancy, stating the room was not available but that she would upgrade us to the Penobscot room at no additional charge. When we arrived, Tom checked us in(with no issue whatsoever).
Our room was beautiful and clean. It had a pull out sofa and a lounge chair in addition to the very comfortable king size bed. there was no AC but one of the windows did have a screen and a fan.
The bathroom had a claw tub and separate tiled shower (very spacious).
After check-in, we returned later that evening only to hear the unexpected sounds of the baby grand piano music. We decided to drop our stuff in our room and went down for a drink at the bar. There were people scattered about enjoying the atmosphere and a drink. It was exactly what one would expect at an inn or B&B.
Breakfast the next morning was delicious. It was nice to have a choice and that it was cooked to serve not sitting in a serving tray over a stereo
While I cannot speak for others (who have obviously had problems), we will definitely be returning to the inn for future stays!

Room Tip: Penobscot had plenty of room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Johns, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I thought I was going to be an isolated case, but read another review here who seemed to have a similar experience with Tom, the owner and don’t feel so singled-out. This is a very long read, but I think it will give readers insight into how this place is run, so bear with the long dissertation.

Let me point out the good things about this place first. The rooms we were in were very nicely decorated, with a very comfortable bed, and a nice bathroom with plenty of room. Also, I have stayed at about 40 Inns in the past 5 years and this was the first one to offer choices at breakfast, which was a nice change of pace. Perhaps the others I have stayed at were too small to offer these choices, but once again, nice change of pace with good food. I would gladly pay the amount I did for the room I was in again, given a few minor tweaks. This brings us to the few things I would have appreciated. Screens in the windows would have been nice. The windows in our room (#4) had no screens, and being summer it was hot, so by the time the room started to cool off thanks to one fan, we were doing battle with mosquitoes and moths the size of small bats. My wife had to wear a long-sleeve shirt to bed and close the windows in order to limit the additional bugs, so we roasted all night. AC would have been good as well.

The next thing that would be a big help here is for Tom to get out of the hospitality industry and find a profession where swearing at guests and threatening to beat them up is acceptable; I think they call it cage fighting, but he will really need to train as he is kind of small.

When I booked this place we were coming into town for an annual regatta and needed two or three rooms. As the other two places downtown were already booked I called the Manor Inn. Tom informed me that they may have a wedding, but he would call me back and let me know. In the interim, I looked into other locations and found one 18 miles away. Given that we were going between the boat we were on and the inn, we really didn’t want to be that far out of town, so after much discussion with the others in our party I decided to call the Manor Inn back. This time Nancy picked up, who was pleasant to speak to. I let her know that I was following up (about five hours after my first call) and was wondering if they had made any headway. I could hear Tom telling her “I told him I would call him back” in his stern, gruff voice. That should have been my first indication to run, and it actually was; I told Nancy thank you, and immediately called the place 18 miles away and booked. A few hours later Nancy called back and let me know they had three rooms, so I spoke with the others in our party again and we called back to book two for two couples. We were told we had one room priced at $235 and one at $185; given the situation, we were fine. We cancelled our other reservations and went with the Manor Inn; big expensive mistake.

When we got there, we had the $235 room, but also now had a second room at $235; upgraded in room and price by $50. Not being one to complain, I let it go. A third couple was also interested in possibly staying, so since I was at the counter checking into my room, I asked if he had another. Tom said he would check and I showed him who to take it up with. He suggested they look at room #14, but didn’t have a price; “I’ll have to check” was his response three times. This sounded suspicious as well; how do you own an Inn and not know how much your room is? After looking at the 110 degree attic (#14) our friends decided to pass, still not knowing the price and being unable to find Tom.

The next day, during check-out Tom tells me that my friend, needs to pay for the room they didn’t stay in, to which I let him know that I will pass that message, but that is something between the two of them. He then let me know that in his opinion, I was responsible for the room and told me that this whole situation was bovine feces and that he had several people he turned away from that room because of me. Now, if you own an inn, have the key to a room, do not have a guest card or credit card on file, and do not even know that name of the person looking at the room, at what point do you go ahead in let the room go to another person? It seems in Tom’s world never, and then just find someone to pay the next day.

In order to defuse the situation I told Tom that he should do what he thinks it right and if he wants to charge the room to me, he has my card, however this does not involve me. He complained some more, but did not charge my room. This is where it should have ended, but apparently I was wrong again.

So, down at the town landing I tell my friend that Tom expects a room to be paid for that no one stayed in and head off to the restroom. When I come out, Tom is in his truck, pointing the wrong way in the parking lot, telling my wife and two friends to perform sexual acts on themselves which are physically and anatomically impossible. I then ask “Really, are we still having this conversation” to which I am invited to perform the same self-service and advised that I will never stay in his inn again. Thank goodness he was there to clarify that I cannot pay him $250 to have my wife and friends, plus myself abused by this guy. Of course, by this time I have had enough, so I suggested he quit being a little female dog about the whole thing. This must have sent in him into delusional land because he then jumps out his truck and brings all of his 170 pound or so self to beat me up in the parking lot; that will help Tom. Now, not knowing if his brother-in -law was the local cop or something I had a few options. Instead of showing him that the 100 pounds of weight advantage I had on him would take his morning from bad to fatal, I decided to walk away. My wife then let him know that he was about to make a very bad decision
and the best course of action was to get in his truck and go home. Had he not been between me and my vehicle, I felt threatened enough to possibly make the situation for him very, very bad (read between the lines on how bad this was).

Here is what I think; the inn is struggling because this guy is such a tool. He changes rooms to put people who do walk into his trap into the most expensive room he has and then looks for every opportunity to stick his guests with whatever he can in order to pay his bills. In this case, he wanted to stick me with another room my friend looked at. Tom, do yourself and the nice town of Castine a favor and retire. Until then, we will be staying at one of the other two inns in town, or just drive back to Portland before staying here ever again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Me, my husband, son, daughter-in-law and 2 young grandsons stayed here for 2 nights and had a lovely time. The breakfast was included and was really good with several choices and the days weather forecast printed on the menu. We had dinner one night and we all found it excellent quality. The crabcakes are a must. I would describe the hotel as shabby chic i.e. clean but well worn and cared for. The rooms have great views and are very large.

Room Tip: on the hotel's website each room is described in detail
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Manor Inn? Share your experiences!