“Great view! Awful service!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Point Sebago

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Casco
Point Sebago
You added Point Sebago to your Saves list
261 Point Sebago Rd, Route 302, Casco, ME 04015   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Casco
“Great view! Awful service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have mixed opinions. It is probably the absolute best place to go for being on such a beautiful lake. The service however was terrible the Fourth of July week. Maybe one of the many employees a day was polite. I was literally yelled at for parking my bike in front of the bathroom instead of at the bike rack. I didn't appreciate being scolded like a naughty child. The front desk person also made me sound like I was stupid for asking about where to park. They enforce all rules strictly especially the pet rules (not a pet friendly campground even if they do allow them) and the rule about having only one car on the site. If you are the visitor you have to park at the welcome center which is a hike. It's cool that they offer golfcart rentals but those are overpriced and it makes it really hard to sleep in the morning when they wiz by. The bathrooms were disgusting and had mold growing in the shower. If you are going for scenic purposes though it really is one of the best campsites to go to. Depends what you are looking for really, scenic or service because you won't get both.

• Stayed July 2014
pointsebago, Public Relations Manager at Point Sebago, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your Point Sebago experience.

Bikes do have to be stored in bike racks near all major facilities so that they don't pile up in random places and block pedestrian traffic. We are sorry that you felt our Courtesy Patrol representative was impolite in his or her explanation of that policy.

In order to cater to our guests who travel with pets and those who may not want to be around animals, Point Sebago permits pets in specific areas of the property. If you are staying in a pet-friendly area, your pet must remain in that area for the length of your stay and cannot be walked freely throughout the property.

In regards to the bathroom cleanliness, our housekeeping staff cleans each bathroom at least 3 times a day, 7 days a week, but we will take a special look at the facilities since they didn't meet your standards. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope that you will visit Point Sebago again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hooksett, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great area, loved the lake, lots of things to do especially if you have a golf cart, they run 24/7 here with more parking than they have for cars! Lots of activities for kids from 8-5, family events and even a "camp" to leave your kids while you have adult time.

We have been camping for over 20 yrs and have never left a campground early...except for here. It was a last minute decision to go based on the reviews and even my three teenage boys couldn't wait to leave! There were a ridiculous amount of rules which were not enforced consistently...ex. is one car per site with the second vehicle left at the front gate (about a mile)...not a problem until you walk by 3 or more sites with 2 or more cars parked on them! Doesn't make too much sense to have a rule and not enforce it.

One of the reasons we left is we had parked our second car outside the gates according to the rules yet kept our utility trailer with our 3 kayaks and canoe in the back of the site..out of site. We came back from a day trip to find a "citation" on our car saying the kayaks needed to be placed outside the gate along with the second car or we could be "fined"....three sites down there was a boat on a trailer parked on the site with 2 vehicles as well....no note on that site.

Overall, not a great experience, bathrooms weren't the cleanest, will not be returning...found Sebago Lake State Park which is 5 mins away, less expensive, reasonable about cars/kayaks on your site...spending our money there in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your Point Sebago experience.

In order to reduce traffic on the resort, Point Sebago does have a rule of only one car parked at each site. Other vehicles and trailers can be temporarily parked at sites for unloading / loading reasons, but must have a permanent home behind our Welcome Center. Additionally, each site is designed with parking for one vehicle in mind. If multiple vehicles try to park there, they end up spilling into the road, blocking the shoulders for pedestrian and bike traffic. It is a safety issue and is enforced for every site.

Auburn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I've been reading some of the reviews and have focused on the negative ones. When I was a child my family would travel to Point Sebago every year. It was a great place and very fun. Two years ago after not going up for 19 years I took my family to Sebago and it's even better than I can remember. The last 2 years we have gone up for a week in the summer and Labor Day weekend as well. I have a family of 6 including triplets. We stayed in a Park Home and more than enough room. There is so much to do for the kids and the adults. The parent-child activies are great. I am convinced that the people with the negative reviews had to have had a bad isolated incident with a staff member or other guests that left a bad taste in their mouth. I just can't say anything negative about Sebago. If you are looking for a place to take the family for vacation I highly recommend Point Sebago.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Braintree, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Spend a week in a rented Golf Course home and enjoyed all the amenities of the Resort. 4 adults and 2 teenagers and we did not stop all week. The house was amazing, the golf carts nicely maintained. The entire property was so well maintained I was pleasantly surprised. The Tiki Bar happy hour was so much fun for the adults and the kids could be out until 11 and there was plenty of security to keep an eye on things. Pontoon boat rentals with a tube is a mandatory activity. Head out to the sandbar and bring lunch and throw out your anchor. You will not be disappointed. Everyone is so friendly and there are so many families and tons of kids. Its the perfect family destination. Parents can relax while the kids partake in some structured activities and have a great time!

Room Tip: I stayed in a private residence on the Golf Course. There are 1 and 2 BR small homes and double wid...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Merrimack, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Point Sebago's Murder Mystery weekend is one of my most favorite weekends of the year!
I have been going for over 10 years and each year the staff give us a fresh new show. It is definitely a weekend for adults (leave the kids at home) with some risqué humor but if your okay with that, it is a riot! Our group laughs all weekend long interacting with the characters, running (or using our golf carts, ha ha) after clues, trying to figure out who did it and dressing up for the costume contest. They always do at least one major pyrotechnic display which is one of the weekend highlights (one year they blew up the batmobile!). Besides the fun, they provide great meals all weekend long including a lobster and roast beef dinner on the last night, if you go hungry it is truly your own fault. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in a fun adult weekend away.
I cannot wait to book my spot for next year and I already have a group ready to go!
Heather D.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sandwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We went with two other families (total of 6 adults and 7 kids). We got park homes on the island. They were small and perfect. I LOVED them. Two tiny bedrooms, a small kitchen/living room and bathroom. Considering the small size, it had AMPLE storage. I was very surprised by that. I adored living in the little home for the extended weekend. No I am not being sarcastic, I really enjoyed it. The kitchen had all the utensils, plates, glasses, silverware, cooking pans/pots that I could need. A microwave, fridge, small oven/stove (4 burners), toaster and coffee maker. They provided dishwasher detergent, a sponge, toilet paper and I think a roll of paper towels (can't recall as I brought my own). We had to bring shampoo/conditioner, soap (hand and body), toiletries, food and if you don't have a linen package, then linens as well. There were TONS of pillows (probably around 12 for my park home) so you can find one you like. The linens were just fine. I had brought extra in case, and blankets too as it was Columbus day weekend and chilly but it was perfect. There is heat in the little units and it was perfect. Nice and toasty. There is also a window a/c unit that I am sure works just fine.

As it was Columbus day weekend, we were told there are not as many activities going on. But honestly, we enjoy spending time with our kids and since we can as 3 families, we tended to spend our time together doing various things (fishing, biking, ceramics which you do pay a minimal fee but kids loved it, riding the golf carts, video arcade, playground, hay ride). The kids had so much fun they did not want to leave. And the adults had many laughs and so much fun that we plan to make it an annual trip. My kids want to go for a week in the summer next time as they want to try out the zipline.

I agree that at night it can get a bit loud/raunchy at some sites (didn't notice it elsewhere but we didn't stray too far) because adults are drinking. As another person wrote, we tend to separate our family time with our adult time so we stayed family friendly until the kids went to bed, then we drank and got a wee bit loud.

The only negative I have was the food. It was horrible. We did NOT get the food package as it required you to pay for Friday-Monday and we weren't able to get there until Saturday. We went to dinner Sat night with our friends and the buffet was SUPER expensive. At night, for 2 adults and 2 kids it cost us $64. We are not cheap and are happy to pay that for a DECENT meal but this food was horrendous. Barely warm, not very much taste to it, poor choices. It was really not worth any money. Next time we go we plan to hit the Hannaford and pack up the fridge and just cook ourselves. Will be 100 times better! Since it was our first time we weren't sure what to expect. Even breakfast was outrageous, $38 for 2 adults and 2 kids. It is a buffet but the bacon is barely cooked, the homefries were cold and just overall NOT a very good food experience. The other thing I disliked was there was no fresh fruit (wait, there was a tiny bowl of mixed fruit at breakfast) and no milk availale at dinner? Only ice tea, lemonade, water. My kids always drink milk at dinner? I found that very odd. And if you wanted soda, you had to pay even MORE! CRAZY. They really need to fix the food situation that would get a terrible rating from me. Even though the other families paid for the meal plan, we still went to lunch daily (because the food was so awful). We did Buck's Barenaked BBQ one day (AWESOME) and a place in Naples the other day (wicked awesome!). Aside from the food, we loved Point Sebago and plan to come back every year with our friends. Great memories!

I want to say how amazing ALL the staff were. I did not meet a single person who worked there that I thought had a bad attitude. The checkin was amazing and super quick. Perhaps because it is off-season, we were able to check in at noon and get our park home right away. We were pleasantly surprised by that. Everyone was so friendly!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Salem, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We rented out the Island Lodge and many cabins at Point Sebago and they were perfect for my friends and family. Everything ran smoothly and we had the greatest time ever. Thank you to Ruth for facilitating such a great weekend. We all want to come back again and again. Volleyball an hour before you get hitched is an awesome idea!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Point Sebago? Share your experiences!