“Excellent food in a lovely setting” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sea Glass Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Portland, Maine
“Excellent food in a lovely setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I'm happy to echo the positive comments below, and sorry for the folks who were less than pleased. My friend and I enjoyed a cocktail in the bar (fireplace didn't want to lite, alas) and then moved to the main dining room for dinner. It's a small intimate space with about five window tables (reserve early for those), but the food and service more than made up for it. I had the lobster bisque which actually comes with chunks of lobster (heavenly) followed by the Atlantic salmon with its root vegetable preparation which was excellent. Dessert was a molten chocolate cake with raspberry sorbet (they humored us and added a scoop of vanilla for an extra charge) which was also terrific. Nothing is going to blow you out of the water, but for a lovely intimate evening with excellent food and attentive service, don't hesitate to give this a try. Prices are reasonable for this level of quality.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Carrie D, Manager at Sea Glass Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you, Pen_Princess, for your recent review on TripAdvisor or Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea. Since Chef has changed the menu for the season we have received a number of great comments about our Salmon dish. I am glad that you were able to enjoy it during your visit to the East Cost Portland area. Perhaps during your next visit we will be able to get you a window seat. Carrie Dyer, Hotel Manager

Boston
“Cosi Cosi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn by the Sea this past June and were looking forward to mostly dining at the Sea Glass Restaurant. The first evening we were there we had dinner. The ambiance and views were amazing, and our server Anthony was great. Per our servers suggestion I started with the lobster bisque and was wowed - huge chunks of lobster with a broth that was brimming with flavor. For dinner I had the filet -while the cut was great it had absolutely no flavor at all, very disappointing. It needed some type of sauce to help out its sad state. The side - mashed potatoes and brocollini were both great - and full of flavor as they were doused in butter.
The next two mornings we decided to have breakfast at the sea glass as well. We sat outside both times and were mesmerized but the stunning views. Too bad we did not feel the same way about our food on day 1. We started with the fruit cup - for the price it was a modest serving and consisted of un-impressive fruit types. I had an omelet with the home made English muffin. They skimped so bad on the cheese in my omelet I was unsure if they added it at all and had to open it to double check. Yup it was there but so minimal I couldn't taste it. The English muffin to my dismay had the same issue as their filet - absolutely no flavor.
I cannot believe I came back here the next day for breakfast, but we were lazy and just wanted to walk to eat versus drive. What a difference a day and choice make. I had the best blueberry pancakes of my life! I love my pancakes thin, which they were, and packed with flavor. Fresh blueberries and the real deal maple syrup. I had to ask for extra syrup as they were a bit skimpy on this. The service both days was wonderful.
Our last night we decided to have desert on the deck and bring our pup Carmelo. We decided to go as no one was on the deck .We were conscious of this because we had our dog and did not want him to disturb anyone begging for their food. I ordered apple crisp and waited 45 minutes for it. I was trying to be patient but eventually had to go in and ask if our order was coming. They forgot to put our order in and apologized. They came out awfully fast for a crisp after I mentioned it, and to my dismay my apple crisp was actually an apple crumb, and cold to boot! I mentioned this to the server and he admitted it was very misleading on the menu. The worst part is that it did not even taste good. He took it off our bill but never offered us anything to replace it. Ultimate fail on our romantic desert on the patio.
Overall I found this place to be incredibly inconsistent for what I expected for the Inn and price.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Carrie D, Manager at Sea Glass Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor, JennaBird. I apologize that your experiences with Sea Glass were inconsistent. That is certainly not the level of service that we strive to provide our guests. I have shared your feedback with both Chef and our Food & Beverage Manager, as it is through candid feedback from guests such as yourselves that we are able to improve our products and service. I hope that you decide to give Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea another try if you happen to be in the area again. Carrie Dyer, Hotel Manager
“Delicious & Memorable Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

What stands out most was the amazing food. For dinner, I had the grilled lobster with a lemon risotto. SO delicious- it was actually one of my favorite meals of the entire 10 day vacation. The view was really nice of the well manicured hotel grounds. Service was good. Overall a great experience!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Carrie D, Manager at Sea Glass Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor, Lisamarcelle. Though we don’t serve a traditional boiled or steamed lobster, I believe that this dish is the next best thing, and it sounds like you do as well. Chef’s menu will be changing soon with the seasons, so you will have to join us again when we have more flavors of the fall on the menu. Carrie Dyer, Hotel Manager
“So good it defies words.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Everything from the food to the drinks to the view is perfect. Chefs lobster tasting menu is to die for as is the seafood paella. Great service to boot. Worth the splurge.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your recent review Syburguy, of Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor. The heading of your review is flattering, and I am glad that you were able to come up with a few words to sum up your experience. We hope that you will join us again soon! Carrie Dyer, Hotel Manager
Boston
“Fresh authentic local cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had dinner, lunch and two amazing breakfasts here over 2 days. The food was consistent and delicious every time. Crab cake Benedict was out of this world!

Visited August 2013
Dear GinDandy, thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea. I am glad to see that you are a fan of the Crab Cake Benedict. It is popular with most guests joining us for breakfast. There is just something about the hollandaise and the avocado mousse with the crab meat. It is just magic! I am sure that we will see you again for another breakfast! Carrie Dyer, Hotel Manager