We stayed at the Inn By The Sea in Cape Elizabeth June 29 - July 5 2008. A little about us - my husband and I traveled with our Labrador Retriever from Chicago, and we typically stay in nice hotels ($300-$500/night type hotels). The room exceeded our expectations, based on the photographs on the hotel's website. We stayed in a Garden Suite, and we had the unit on the end of the building, which was perfect. It had a private back entrance which lead to the parking lot, a gorgeous view of the grounds, a large deck that was partially enclosed by a railing (perfect to sit out on with our dog -the other garden units do not have the railing), the bedroom was a completely separate room and the walk in shower in the bathroom was huge - large enough to fit all three of us when we needed to rinse the dog after a day at the beach! :) We had two very small gripes about the room - the mini-fridge door was broken so it didn't shut all the way. Thus our bottles of water weren't very cold and the food we stored didn't keep. We mentioned this to the hotel the first night, but they didn't do anything about it (not that there was much they could do while we were there). The second gripe is that the bathroom only had one sink. I didn't understand that - why pay all that money for renovations, but not put double sinks in all the rooms?? Again, very small irritants.
The hotel is beautiful and the food in the restaurant is very good. The boardwalk to the beach and around the state park was a favorite morning walk for us, and our only complaint there is that dogs aren't allowed on the beach at the hotel (even on leash) from April1 - October1. But there are other beaches close by that we were able to take her to, before 8 am and after 6 pm.
All the staff are very friendly and nice and try to be helpful. I spent some time waiting for the concierge one morning, and both valets noticed that I had been waiting and approached me to see if they could help me with something. (We were looking for fireworks on the 4th, and they actually pulled out a map and gave me directions.) A couple of gripes - for being a super dog friendly hotel, we didn't find the staff to be well versed in dog-friendly activities, restaurants, etc. in the area. That would have been helpful. Thankfully we had done a ton of research before we left, and knew of some places to go. They were willing to call places on our behalf to find out if they were dog friendly, though. And the morning before we left, the hotel got crowded with people there for the long weekend. That meant more people at breakfast (but the restaurant was not full) and our service suffered tremendously. Our poor waitress seemed so flustered by having to wait on several tables. It seemed that a lot of the staff were college kids on summer break, so that could be where some of the issues come from.
There were a lot of other dogs there, and everyone seemed to be very responsible pet owners. No one let their dogs run wild, all the dogs were well socialized and friendly, and there was no pet waste anywhere in sight the entire time we were there. Our dog had an amazing time! They definitely love dogs at this hotel! We met so many wonderful people - guests and staff, and felt like we were on vacation with a bunch of friends!
All in all, we LOVED our vacation, and when we checked out, we booked the same room for next year. We are counting the days until we return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- After a multi million dollar renovation the eco luxury Inn by the Sea is Maine's premier beach destination. Located on a mile of unspoiled beach guests enjoy intimate dining in the ocean view Sea Glass celebrating Maine fare, relax in the spa or fireplace lounge. Spacious redesigned suites, rooms & cottages w oversized bathrooms, or full kitchens, or fireplaces. Child & Pet friendly! 5 acre indigenous garden,pool, bocce, fire pit, golf nearby. 10 mins to Portland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Inn By the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn By The Sea Hotel Cape Elizabeth
- Inn By The Sea Maine/Cape Elizabeth