I had no doubts about the Inn by the Sea being a superb get-away destination based on all of the rave reviews as well as the great things I heard about it from my fiancee's previous stays as well as the rave reviews from my step-brother, his wife and my step-sister and her husband.
What i wasn't a believer in was going to the Inn by the Sea in the dead of winter in off-season. My fiancee and I enjoyed a weekend stay over Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend about a month ago and my expectations were thoroughly exceeded.
First starting with the fact that we could bring our dog with us. Just awesome to go away with you pets! We were welcomed with a butler assisting us with our luggage as well as greeted by warm oatmeal cookies in our room. The room was amazing with the coziness of a living room, a kitchen counter with microwave and mini fridge, and then a front porch with an amazing view...although I didn't quite get the views until early Saturday morning.
I took a shower in what seemed like a luxury bathroom. I felt like royalty!
The fact that you're only 15 minutes from downtown Portland, ME is just an added bonus. And Mark is THE MAN when it comes to dining selections. While not craving Mexican food, he recommended Zapoteca Retaurante and it was nothing short of amazing as I tried ceviche for the first time and they had 1 of my favorite tequilas which was El Tosoro.
Saturday morning, we took a nice walk down to the beach with our dog and the views were amazing. There is something about a winter sunrise in Maine. After eating breakfast at The Good table down the street (complete with wild turkeys outside), we spent the majority of our day touring the streets of downtown Portland and also enjoyed Two lights State Park. We went back to our room mid-afternoon for a quick a nap and then a "quick" walk to let my dog out turned into an hour plus of sitting outside and viewing the amazing sky and sunset on the property.
We enjoyed our second dinner suggestion form a local business owner in Portland bu enjoying sushi at Miyake which again totally exceeded expectations.
We then enjoyed the evening in their fireplace lounge with our dog and had a few drinks and dessert from their restaurant.
We left Sunday morning and I STRONGLY suggest a visit to Bintliff's American Cafe - the best breakfast you will EVER eat. Don't be scared off by the area as it doesn't look promising. But I can assure it's worth the visit.
I would thoroughly enjoy another winter trip to The inn, but also would LOVE to see it in the late Spring, summer, or Fall. Very highly recommend this place to all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- After a multi million dollar renovation the eco luxury Inn by the Sea is Maine's premier beach destination. Located on a mile of unspoiled beach guests enjoy intimate dining in the ocean view Sea Glass celebrating Maine fare, relax in the spa or fireplace lounge. Spacious redesigned suites, rooms & cottages w oversized bathrooms, or full kitchens, or fireplaces. Child & Pet friendly! 5 acre indigenous garden,pool, bocce, fire pit, golf nearby. 10 mins to Portland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Inn By the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn By The Sea Hotel Cape Elizabeth
- Inn By The Sea Maine/Cape Elizabeth