“I'm a Believer!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Methuen, Massachusetts
“I'm a Believer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I had no doubts about the Inn by the Sea being a superb get-away destination based on all of the rave reviews as well as the great things I heard about it from my fiancee's previous stays as well as the rave reviews from my step-brother, his wife and my step-sister and her husband.

What i wasn't a believer in was going to the Inn by the Sea in the dead of winter in off-season. My fiancee and I enjoyed a weekend stay over Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend about a month ago and my expectations were thoroughly exceeded.

First starting with the fact that we could bring our dog with us. Just awesome to go away with you pets! We were welcomed with a butler assisting us with our luggage as well as greeted by warm oatmeal cookies in our room. The room was amazing with the coziness of a living room, a kitchen counter with microwave and mini fridge, and then a front porch with an amazing view...although I didn't quite get the views until early Saturday morning.

I took a shower in what seemed like a luxury bathroom. I felt like royalty!

The fact that you're only 15 minutes from downtown Portland, ME is just an added bonus. And Mark is THE MAN when it comes to dining selections. While not craving Mexican food, he recommended Zapoteca Retaurante and it was nothing short of amazing as I tried ceviche for the first time and they had 1 of my favorite tequilas which was El Tosoro.

Saturday morning, we took a nice walk down to the beach with our dog and the views were amazing. There is something about a winter sunrise in Maine. After eating breakfast at The Good table down the street (complete with wild turkeys outside), we spent the majority of our day touring the streets of downtown Portland and also enjoyed Two lights State Park. We went back to our room mid-afternoon for a quick a nap and then a "quick" walk to let my dog out turned into an hour plus of sitting outside and viewing the amazing sky and sunset on the property.

We enjoyed our second dinner suggestion form a local business owner in Portland bu enjoying sushi at Miyake which again totally exceeded expectations.

We then enjoyed the evening in their fireplace lounge with our dog and had a few drinks and dessert from their restaurant.

We left Sunday morning and I STRONGLY suggest a visit to Bintliff's American Cafe - the best breakfast you will EVER eat. Don't be scared off by the area as it doesn't look promising. But I can assure it's worth the visit.

I would thoroughly enjoy another winter trip to The inn, but also would LOVE to see it in the late Spring, summer, or Fall. Very highly recommend this place to all.

Room Tip: We had a room right in front of the pool and you will be treated to a gorgeous sunrise in the mornin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn By the Sea, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Keith F,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our Spa Suite Accommodations, location and well...MARK! We are very lucky to have such a wonderful, dedicated staff member like Mark who truly enjoys what he does and it certainly shines through to our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to share we look forward to welcoming you back to the southern coast of Maine in the future. Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Kittery, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been to the Inn by the Sea and it is a beautiful Virtuoso property. I send many clients there for a quick getaway and they are all repeat guests. They have various room styles and cottages. The spa and restaurant are divine.

Room Tip: All the rooms and cottages are wonderful. It depends on what is important to the traveler, gas firep...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear advantage_12,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your business and most of all your trust in us to take care of your clients. I’m also thrilled to read that your clients are all repeat guests as our greatest compliment is to see a guest return to the Inn by the Sea for another stay! Thank you again for sharing, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Inn. Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My fiancee and I visited here in February after we became engaged. I had booked two nights to celebrate the engagement and spend a weekend away together.

Positives:
- Beautiful rooms. We stayed in the Beach Suite (they upgraded us), and it was a very spacious suite overlooking the ocean with a gas fireplace, kitchenette, and a great bathroom. Little things that I liked were that the bedroom was offset from the rest of the suite, and it since the window in the room faced west, you didn't wake up at sunrise with the sun. The bathroom was also great, with a really deep tub and large stand-up shower.
- Service was great. We don't typically stay in luxury hotels, and noticed that the atmosphere here from the staff was that if you'd like it, we will try our best to make it happen and not speculate on why you might want it.
- Breakfast was one of the best I've ever had! If you stay, make sure to get a package that includes free breakfast coupons. The breakfast is unique in its menu choices, and also just of very high quality. And it's not a buffet style. You get to order off the regular breakfast menu, and are allowed to choose a breakfast menu item, a side, and a drink (I'm not sure it's that official, but that was how it was roughly explained to us). Totally worth it and a nice way to start the day.

Negatives:
- Really nothing, except the cost. We stayed in the offseason, and it still isn't cheap then by any standards. Not sure how much it goes for during the busy season. But to be honest, it was totally worth it, especially in the offseason. There isn't as much to do outside (we stayed during a blizzard), so it is great to stay in a place with beautiful lodging, a high quality restaurant, and a pretty view.

Overall, a great experience and I would absolutely return.

Dear RyanS,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our new Beach Suite Accommodations, Sea Glass dining experience and our warm and friendly staff. I’m overwhelmed at how many wonderful comments we receive on TripAdvisor regarding our top notch staff and believe me, it’s truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn sometime in the near future. Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Some things could be improved, but when you're looking for a lovely, clean, luxury resort with access to the ocean and super pet friendly, it doesn't get much better. To get the 'minuses' out of the way: The dog-friendly garden suites don't have much insulation from the noise overhead. We heard every voice, sound and kid stomping above us. The restaurant/lounge served good food, but all dishes are priced the same ($23-28 with no sides or extras). Some are excellent (paella) and well worth the price; others are way overpriced. The towels are stiff and tired. The TP could be upgraded. Now on to the reason I rated this 5 stars: The bed--mattress, sheets, bedding--are awesome, uber-comfortable and luxurious. The bathroom, with it's separate soaking tub and shower, are to die for, and the L'Occitane toiletries are delicious. The staff and service are prompt, friendly, professional and nurturing. To get to the beach, you walk down a wooden boardwalk (5 minutes) and you and your dog are in nirvana. Also, the staff is amazing, really. We got advice about where to eat in Portland. I wanted oysters and got several excellent recommendations. The place we chose was closed, so we called the front desk again. Eva was patient and helpful and told me to call back if we still needed help. Not necessary, as we went with her first recommendation--Eventide--which is THE place to go in Portland for oysters. And did I mention the dog bowls, poop bags and mat in the room? Really great R&R weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear JGandC,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor. I’m disappointed to read that you feel we missed the mark in some of the areas of our accommodations and Sea Glass dining experience but we do appreciate the 5 star rating for our beach and well trained staff. I’m glad to read that their dedication to serving our guests truly makes a difference. Thank you again for taking the time to share and we hope to welcome you and your VIP (Very Important Pet) back to the Inn sometime in the near future. Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Maastricht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had a chance to stay at this beautiful hotel for the night after our marriage. If we had more time and more funds, I could have stayed a LOT longer. I would love to come back in the summer/fall to experience the beach (it was difficult to stay outdoors in early February in Maine). The restaurant was delicious, impressive to foodies like ourselves, and the server was very friendly, knowledgeable, and not pretentious at all. We stayed in a Spa King suite, and enjoyed the bath, shower, and room service for breakfast. It was pretty, and sparkling clean.
I only have one opportunity for improvement (which may not be applicable in the summertime): The bathroom heater controls weren't very easy to figure out, or weren't working properly (or maybe it was just too cold to get it comfortable). We never quite managed to get it as toasty as we would have liked.
Loved the fact that the front desk knew who we were when we walked in!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a view.
Dear colleniem,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our Spa Suite accommodations (less the heating issues) Sea Glass dining experience, efficient housekeeping staff and our top notch team at the front desk. Our staff strives to make each guest experience unique and I’m glad to read your comments and many others about our amazing team members at the Inn. Again, thank you for taking the time to share. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn sometime in the near future. Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Really nice place though obviously summer and fall would be better since the grounds and beach are pleasant. Very friendly staff. Rooms very clean and attractive. Access to beach when the weather is right, though the beach is different and cold but enjoyable even in winter as the waves freeze as the water recedes.

Room Tip: Especially nice in summer and fall. Grounds are lovely.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn By the Sea, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Mjhjcl,,

Thank you for your recent review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our accommodations, beach and most of all our warm and friendly staff who strive to make each guest experience unique. We appreciate you taking the time to share and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

From the moment we walked in we were blown away. The hotel staff was so accommodating and the inn itself was exceptional. I can be hard to please but our suite was beautiful! We could have stayed in our suite the whole time but ventured out to enjoy the grounds and with our spectacular view we had to visit the beach. Even on a cold February morning we walked the beach and planned our next visit!!!

Dear Pam C,

Thank you for your recent review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our accommodations, grounds and most of all our accommodating staff who continue to exceed our guests expectations time and time again. We appreciate you taking the time to share and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Inn By the Sea? Share your experiences!