“Lovely Inn, Lovely Innkeepers” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   41 Elm Street, Camden, ME 04843   |
Ranked #7 of 18 Camden B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bethlehem, New Hampshire
“Lovely Inn, Lovely Innkeepers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We had a most wonderful, relaxing time at the Hartstone. Our room was charmingly updated with colors of the beach. We had an fabulous 5 course dinner with a chocolate soufflé filled with a warm vanilla cream . So delicious! We felt so comfortable here, I can't wait to come back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was looking for a place to surprise my foodie/loves to cook husband for his birthday. The Hartstone Inn could not have been more perfect. The Loft Rom (highly recommend this room) was beautiful, immaculately clean and elegantly appointed. The room was spacious with a sitting area, gas fireplace and large bathroom. The inn itself is only steps away from Camden center with cute shops, stores, waterfront and lots to do.

The innkeepers understand travelers and particularly people that travel to bed and breakfasts or inns. One of the things we enjoyed was their before and after dinner happy hour. For $5 you get a wonderful drink (basil martini anyone?) and can relax in their lovely sitting area while chatting with other guests waiting for dinner.

Which brings me to their dining room. The dining room was elegant and romantic without being pretentious. We enjoyed the Chef's tasting menu and it was unbelievably good. I had the best risotto of my life! It is NOT to be missed.

Lastly we took a cooking class with Chef Michael (chef and owner). He was engaging and the class was informative and fun. My husband loved it and I was officially a rock star wife for this surprise birthday trip. :)

If you are a foodie or love a foodie, this is the place for you!!!

Room Tip: We loved the Loft Room. It was spacious and a great price. The bathroom was large and there is a won...
Torrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Everything was wonderful: beautifully appointed rooms, extremely friendly and helpful staff, perfect location, and an incredibly comfortable bed. But the dining was to-die-for! This is by far the best restaurant in Camden, and is right up there with the best restaurants in Portland....not just dinner, but a fabulous breakfast, too!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Augusta, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Norumbega Inn last fall. We love Camden. It was very expensive for a one night with chefs 5 course meal, wine, cheese platter it ran us about $1000.00. It was wonderful in every way but very expensive. I tell you this because I am comparing Harstone Inn to it. (you can see my full review on Norumbega here on tripadvisor as well) Harstone was running a special for March 2014 $168 for best room available, 5 course meal also included breakfast. Wow what a great deal. Be sure to check your bank statement when you get home though. We had to call them as they over charged us $81.00 but fixed it right away. We stayed in the Sunflower room. This room is in the Hideaway building across and down the street, a very short walk from the main building. It was very private and beautiful. It has it's own sitting room with fireplace, a dinning space they use for events, they put out coffee, tea and cookies. they also have stocked refrigerator that you are on the owner system. Our room was big but had no views. The hot tub is a nice added bonus. The sleeping area is VERY big and the bed was amazing. I could have stayed in it all morning. All in all this is a nice room. The only draw back we had about it is the privacy of the bathroom area. I will post photos. The sitting area is right beside the bathroom, the door for the bathroom is made out of two old fashion doors that remind me of the old doors for changing rooms. You can see threw them and hear everything from the sitting area. For this reason I would give the room a four star not five. The way it is set up you feel like the bathroom is part of the sitting area. But for the special price and the masterful 5 course dinner (I could have licked my plats if not in public ;) and being right in Camden we will be stay here again next season when they have the special again. Once last word about the dinning area that we where put in. The tables are for two and has a long hallway feel to it, the tables are very close to each other so when talking with your partner you find your self whispering and hearing the table next to you. Only draw back about the dinning.

Branford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband and I traveling the coast of Maine stayed at the Hartstone Inn experiencing not only the accommodations but the dinner package. I compliment the chef and his wife for having a true sense on what guests are looking for. It is apparent they have done their homework.

My only suggestion would be less Art for sale through out the entire Inn. It takes away from the ambience making it seem a bit commercial.

Please don't take this as a negative comment. I would without a doubt return and tell our friends.

Room Tip: We loved the LOFT because it was located more in the back of the house and was quiet.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Charm, elegance, comfy bed, fireplace, world-class chef, world-class hostess. After the winter we have all endured, my wife and I (and three other couples) took a chance that the Hartstone would provide the relaxing weekend we all needed so badly. We are pleased to report that it was everything we had hoped for...and much, much more. Set in a lovely, mid-coast Maine setting, The Hartstone was a wonderful retreat from the hustle and bustle of our suburban Boston lives. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with welcoming smiles and "how can we help" attitudes. Our Paris room accommodations were quite comfortable, and the complimentary morning breakfasts were fantastic. The specialty happy hour drinks (for just $5) with accompanying hors d'oeuvres was the perfect way to kickoff our evening adventures. We had Saturday night dinner at the Inn and the 5-course meal prepared by accomplished chef (and owner), Michael Salmon, was a highlight for us all. During the daytime hours, we drove up coastal Route 1 and stopped in at Windsor Chairmakers in Lincolnville, and had lunch at Darby's in Belfast. Both excellent finds. Some of us even experienced the thrill of going down the Tobaggan Chute at the nearby Camden Snow Bowl. Exhilarating, fun and very safe! Kudos all around to our hosts and owners, Mary Jo and Michael. And special thanks to staff member, Brianna, who took good care of us during happy hours and meals. She was a delight. Thanks for a great time. We'll be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

What a lovely stay we had at the Hartstone Inn... My boyfriend planned a winter weekend trip to Camden for us as my Christmas present, and boy was it one of the best gifts I have ever received... We arrived at the Inn very late on a Friday evening because of insane traffic we had heading out of Boston. We came in around midnight to find it incredibly quiet with a note welcoming us and providing us with keys to our room. Our room was absolutely lovely. It was not spacious and we had everything we could have wanted or needed- we had a nicely sized bed, with a small sofa and a large arm chair and a television all in our room. We had a nicely sized bathroom and amazing jacuzzi just off our bedroom. We were welcomed with a bottle of wine and chocolates in our room, plus a binder and much information on the Inn and on Camden. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the sheets were some of the softest I have slept on, and the pillows were memory foam, plus we EACH had three pillows! We both slept so well during our two nights at the Hartstone,

Upon waking up the next morning, we awoke to the incredible smell of homemade breakfast (even being on the third floor, two away from the kitchen!) We enjoyed a lovely two-course breakfast with our choices of teas or coffees and fresh squeezed juices each day. I am a vegetarian, and the staff knew this before I even had to say anything-- they were incredible accommodating and everything we ate was wonderful. I consider myself a somewhat picky eater, but I was very pleased with the food at the Hartstone. I enjoyed being surprised by breakfast each morning rather than having choices-- i found this this be part of the experience and it's too bad to see that people writing bad reviews reflect so negatively on this lovely part of the inn.

After breakfast we spoke with the owner, Mary Jo, about places to go and things to do in Camden. She was so sweet, welcoming, and helpful. We enjoyed a great day out in Camden exploring and came back to complimentary homemade cookies (very good-- and I used to be a pastry chef, so I can tell you these were homemade!) and tea.

We had the pleasure of dining at the Hartstone for dinner one of our nights and it was incredible. I was full after the first two courses of five... but managed to continue eating because it was all so yummy! Again, great with vegetarian options for me here. The highlight was definitely the Lemon Poppyseed Souffle with Vanilla Creme Anglaise sauce. I truly have never had a dessert like this one before, and I have had many desserts! I consider myself a "dessert" person-- I will skip a meal to eat dessert-- and so I have had my fare share of amazing desserts. This one was so fresh and homemade, so perfect for a cold winter night. It was absolutely divine. We went out for a walk and explored the adorable town after dinner. The Inn is in such a great location, walking distance from everything in town. Our only one complaint was that the wifi was not very strong in our room on the third floor and we happen to love watching movies on Netflix on our laptop at night. Completely understandable considering I always have wifi issues in my own apartment, but that was the only negative thing we have to say!

It makes me sad to read the negative reviews of this Inn. People can be so harsh and these negative reviewers seem to see everything in a negative light. There will never be any place that is absolutely perfect and pristine, but the Hartstone seemed close to it in our eyes. Perhaps we are less picky. We are young professionals and do not splurge on trips like this hardly ever. To us, this was absolutely amazing and a perfect stay, from the important things like food and room comfort, down to the tiny details we would have never thought of ourselves! We will DEFINITELY be coming back to the Hartstone as soon as we are able to splurge on a weekend like this again, and we can only hope that it will be as lovely as it was our first stay. Thank you to everyone at the Hartstone Inn who made our stay so wonderful!

-Alex and James

Room Tip: Didn't have any issues with noise and we happened to be on the Route 1 side where most of the no...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hartstone Inn & Hideaway? Share your experiences!