“Schooner Olad was the highlight of our family vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 14 Activities in Camden
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Schooner Olad was the highlight of our family vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

We enjoyed it so much that we are heading back for our third sail on the Olad and I thought it was about time I left a review somewhere that others might benefit from it.

I grew up near the ocean and now living in the western, landlocked, US, I really hunger for the time I get to spend on the ocean. I have always enjoyed the feeling of the wind in the sails and the sun on my face and the Olad is the perfect outlet for me to experience those things!

My sister and our husbands and kids all went out for a sail on the Olad while we were visiting Maine last summer and we had so much fun! I know there are a few other schooners but this was our second trip on the Olad and it seems like there is just such a friendly vibe from the captain and the mate. The captain seems to know everything there is to know about islands in the bay and the wildlife and other ships in the area. My kids are always full of questions and he couldn't be stumped--so he wins huge points on that alone.

I tend to get seasick on other boats, even large cruise ships, but sailing vessels are smooth and sure on the water and I got to just enjoy the trip instead of staring off at the horizon like I normally do (to ward off the sea sickness).

We saw seals bathing in the sun and a porpoise swam beside us for a brief, beautiful moment!

Hm...what else can I say? Well, I would just recommend a sail on the Olad, with your family, with your friends, with your sweetheart--or alone, since the captain is so friendly! We had so much fun, if we lived in Camden I would want to be on that boat every day.

Colorado
9 attraction reviews
“Good sailing day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

My GF and I booked this through the hotel and they did well in advise. Capt Arron and Sophie were gracious and knew how to sail. You get to help hoist sail if you wish and that day we had 25 knot winds. Perfect day to sail.

Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
66 attraction reviews
“Really fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We had a nice time sailing on the Schooner Olad. The boat is really beautiful and it was comfortable. The only thing that didn't work out well was that there wasn't much wind so we didn't actually sail very long, but that couldn't be helped. The captain and his helper, Sophie, were very friendly and entertaining. My husband got to help raise the sails and also lower them and he liked that. Sophie took pictures of us and a 5 x 7 print was given to us at the end of the tour, a nice touch.

Flemington, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
“A great time was had by all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

My family recently had the pleasure of a morning cruise aboard the Olad. Our party of 4 was joined by 6 other guests. Although there wasn't alot of wind that morning, Aaron more than made up for it by entertaining us with stories of the locals and sightings of wildlife. My 6 and 10 year olds felt very comfortable walking about the ship. Everyone was more than friendly and we were delighted to get a photo as a souvenir. I would definitely repeat a trip on the Olad!!!

massachusetts
10 attraction reviews
“First Class Cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

We booked a cruise on the Schooner O'Lad over the Columbus Day weekend. The weather and cruise were fantastic. Aaron
provided as much information as we desired as to the sights. I'm not sure if the July 29th post was actually on the Schooner O'Lad. Aaron's cruises are limited to the wind, weather, and marine wildlife. He goes above and beyond to provide the best cruise for his passengers on the two hour cruise. If you visit Camden, Maine, please book the Schooner O'Lad for a cruise. You will not be disappointed! Aaron is a first class captain and owner!