“Attention to detail... kind & attentive staff... a superb property.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn

You added Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn to your Saves list
Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   83 Bayview Street, Camden, ME 04843   |
Ranked #12 of 18 Camden B&B and Inns
Southeastern Pennsylvania
“Attention to detail... kind & attentive staff... a superb property.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

My wife & I stayed three nights. That's a perfect length stay to really see what a property is all about... to guage its consistency. Our stay began with a friendly welcome by JP and one of the owners, Oscar. They wouldn't let us touch our luggage (and I travel with a monster of an aluminum suitcase). That made a difference because our room was the Batavia Suite on the third floor and the Inn authentic architecture of a beautiful past era... so no elevator. The Suite was beautifully and thoughtfully appointed. We found a welcome note... and every time we would be away from the room for any significant time... a new note, fully personalized, would be waiting. A little lobster paperweight was also waiting as a small but meaningful gift. With turn down each night a pair of gourmet sweets awaited. The bed was the best we'd slept on in a long time. Great shower & Moulton-Brown amenities. The common areas displayed beautiful art. Natalie's restaurant offered haute cuisine by night and wholesome, fresh Maine breakfasts. Service was excellent. The Inn is not inexpensive but in life, one gets what one pays for. The Camden Harbour Inn is exquisite. (The town was charming too.)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

After many positive reviews, and numerous articles we, booked three nights at the Inn. Our goal was to experience Maine in the best way possible.
We arrived around 6pm, exhausted from a full days travel and looking forward to spending time at the Inn.. A young man carried our luggage from the car to our room. Thank God because we never would have managed those narrow, daunting stairs to the second floor. During our stay, we learned how to manage them and watched others go down the stairs sideways as the stair itself is narrow. Our room, Delagoa Bay was lovely! Room for our suitcases, drawers for our clothes, a convenient places to put things away. Plus a balcony with chairs and a table and an amazing view. Well worth the price. When I made the reservations, I was unable to get three nights in Delagoa Bay and reserved the third night in Cape Colony. I was assured it was the same room only without the Balcony..same great view, maybe even better! So whats wrong with that??plenty.We were shown another room as an option but chose to stay in Cape Colony..our mistake. The room is awkward with many angles, smaller bathroom and two windows (one contained an air conditioner) that obscured the view. Not worthy of the same high end price it demanded.
Service during breakfast was first class but we felt the food was not consistantly good. We had dinner at Natalie's one night. My Halibut was wonderful but my companion's lobster not great. And so it goes. One evening we waited at the bar to have a cocktail before leaving for dinner and finally just left because no one came. Plus we had the unfortunately timing of visiting when the Inn was filled with a tour group that dominated breakfast, lounge area and parts of the Inn. They were loud and enjoying themselves which is fine but that further isolated us Not only were we guests of the Inn, we were somehow uninvited guests of the group.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed three nights at this wonderful Inn with our sons. Although it took us a long time to drive up from Boston we felt very special from the moment we arrived, we were met in the car park and our bags taken to our rooms.

The Inn is on the edge of town within 10 minutes walk and up a quiet street opposite the Yacht Club so we had beautiful views all around. The rooms were just as they are on the website and there was nothing we could have asked for, from the glass of prosecco on arrival, the beds like sleeping on a cloud, the spotless cleaning to the wonderful breakfasts (eggs benedict with lobster!!). They even did our washing free of charge!

There is a laptop with free internet connection for your use and a huge library of DVD's which you can borrow. Each room has a flat screen TV and CD player.

Make sure you eat at their restaurant Natalie's, and don't be put off by the rather loud red colour, a little on the pricy side for a small town but the food was superb.

We have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and we could not fault the service, cleanliness and charm of The Camden Harbour Inn.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Ogunquit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We haven't even checked out yet, and I couldn't wait to hop online and write about the Camden Harbour Inn.

The attention to detail is unparalleled, and the comfort of the rooms and the quality of the service is impeccable. From the European style feather beds and comforters to the chocolates left for us at our "turn down service," our stay here was pure perfection.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Tulsa, OK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I just returned from the Camden Harbour Inn, ME as this B&B came highly recommended. At 400 + dollars per night my expectations were high. Upon my 5:30pm arrival the gentleman at the front desk gave off a less than welcome vibe, but it was soon made up by an eager, friendly and young bellman. I stress young as this B&B has approximately 12 outside steps to the check in desk and 27, I counted them, very small steps, (I wear a size 6 womens shoe and the steps were smaller than my foot, so caution is highly recommended at all times) up to my 3rd floor room. Thank heavens I didn't have to carry my luggage after a long flight. The room was well appointed for the most part. Bed was comfortable but I found black hairs in it and also in my tub, not good as I don't have black hair? The air conditioner which was necessary for the humidity during my stay was a floor unit on wheels with a large visible vent out the window, not a good look in my opinion. The bathroom had nice towels,robes and an assortment of shampoo, conditoner, bath gel, lotion and vanity kit, which were not replenished like most upscale properties at this price. The bathroom rug was not backed in rubber and I almost fell when I stepped on it as the floor was a slippery tile. There was a shower curtain with the curved bar which is helpful if glass doors are not available and like most B&B's the bathroom had the old sink which looks quaint but of course no counter space, so I had to rearrange all of my toiletries on the 2 shelves over the toilet, another inconvenience. Getting ready to go out for the evening was a true balancing act, with my hair dryer & curlinng iron balanced on the tub rim and trying to apply makeup with my products spread out on top of the closed toilet lid. There was no room service but the complimentary breakfast btwn the hours of 7:30 am - 9:am was very tasty. Their was a 2 cup coffe maker in the room and turn down service. The atmosphere was very sedate, snooty and inconvenient considering all the undersized stairs, with no elevator. This is certainly not a place for people who have a personality, people with disabilities or children. The man at the desk remained grumpy during my 2.5 day stay and when I asked for water in my room after descending my 27 stairs, he replied it was in the basement, to which I replied I will wait for it. For the high price of this B&B I was very disappointed. When I checked out, there was no thank you for your business or even a goodbye from Mr, Grumpy. For the exuberant price and stifling atmosphere I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
CHIcamden, Owner at Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2010
We are truly sorry to hear that your experience was not exceeding your expectations. We always strive to provide the best guest services and a memorable stay.

We are happy you enjoyed our welcome service, including a meet and great at the car and the luggage being brought to your room. We are the only property in Camden providing this service, as we find it important that our guests have nothing to worry about when they arrive.

All our guests are sincerely welcomed and escorted to their rooms where they get an explanation of all the amenities and services we provide. All rooms are fully air-conditioned controlled. As we were experiencing one of the warmest and humid summers in the history, we thought, as a service to our guests, it would be nice to provide additional appliances to make sure the rooms remained dehumidified,cool and comfortable. We are sorry to hear that you did not appreciate the aesthetics.

Regarding the stairs, as you might have noticed Camden Harbour Inn is ADA accessible, has handicapped parking spaces and first floor ADA accessible guest-room. The inn was built in 1874 and we have tried to remain the characteristic elements including the gorgeous old staircase. However we do provide accommodation that does not require using stairs at all. We invite you to inform us about your needs next time when you stay with us

Your comment regarding our services makes us believe that you might have overlooked a couple of things

All rooms are fitted with a flat screen HDTV, DVD-player, CD player and Ipod/MP3 outlet, complimentary wireless internet, a selection of the latest magazines, fresh flowers, bathrobes, coffeemaker, iron and ironing board, lavender pillow to enhance sleeping, clock radio with relaxation sounds to enhance sleeping, separately climate controlled bathrooms with illuminated make up mirror, hair dryer, oversized fluffy towels and Molton Brown toiletries (including the lushes Xiao Joa Healthy Hair Wash, the Indian Cress Instant Conditioner, the Invigorating Suma & Ginseng bath gel, a relaxing Yuan Zhi Body Cream, milk and oatmeal soap and the sea-moss stress relieving hydro soak. Other amenities offered in the guest bathroom are ultra pure milk soap, a Fresh Mint Mouthwash, a shower cap and a luxurious travel accessories kit) and are replenished twice a day if needed. Camden Harbour Inn is also the only property in Maine providing her guests with a fully stocked mini-bar including soft drinks, wines, beers, water and a selection of snacks.

All guests enjoy a glass of welcome Champagne, a welcome gift in the room, Champagne breakfast including a small buffet, 10 a la carte choices and Champagne or Mimosa’s every morning between 7.30am and 9.30am. Other services we provide includes room service (menu’s are in the room) complimentary snacks, pastries, coffee and teas during the day, newspaper in your room every morning, turndown service in the evening with premium handmade Belgium Chocolates, bath slippers, chambermaid service and complimentary bottled water on the night stand and laundry service (not complimentary). We also have a large library with the latest movies for our guests to enjoy and complimentary valet service.

We always do our utmost to provide our guests with a friendly and professional service. Being awarded among the 50 best experiences in the world we work very hard to exceed the expectations. We are glad you enjoyed the overall experience, apologize for the inconvenience and will make sure to address the suggestions you made.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again

Raymond Brunyanszki
Owner
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Having organised a three week road trip around New Hampshire and Canada I was most looking forward to staying at the Camden Harbour Inn. I have to say that this lovely place didn't disappoint. My only regret was that I couldn't have stayed longer. The amount of detail they have put into everything is exceptional from the beautiful room to the personalised note and chocolate you receive at turndown. The location was stunning from the habour foreshore to the gorgoeus surounding old houses. Highly recommend this hotel & town to visit on a trip to Maine! Can't wait to return and stay a lot longer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

My husband and I had only one night to stay in Camden, and decided to stay at the Camden Harbour Inn. From the moment we pulled into the parking lot, it was a great experience. They have thought of all the little details, from having our luggage taken to our room while we were checking in, to having bottled water waiting for each of us on our nightstands at bedtime.The bed was SOOO comfortable. Loved the location, a short walk downtown. Beautiful views of the harbor from our room. The made to order included breakfast was delicious. Highly recommend this hotel ! Would stay again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn? Share your experiences!