“Terrible food & service” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Hickory, NC
“Terrible food & service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

There are so many other great places to eat, don't waste your time going here. It's your basic bar food done bad. I had nachos & they forgot to put the chili in them. Not only my ding-bat waiter questioned if I was lying or just didn't look hard enough to find the chili, but so did another girl who was the hostess. My husband & brother-in-law both had burgers they said we're mediocre at best. We had to ask for the check twice and we waited so long for him to come back so we could pay that we finally took the bill to the bar and paid there. I would only come back here if I just wanted to have a beer. Go to the Camden Deli instead - much better food, service, & view of you sit upstairs.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

54% Recommend
Orono, Maine
“Cute little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We decided to take a drive down route 1 and we stopped in Camden. We went to Cuzzy's for lunch, and we got the buffalo chicken pizza, and it was SO good. You could taste that the crust was homemade and fresh and the cheese on top was so fresh and good too! The chicken is grilled fresh for the pizza, and you could really taste the difference.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Silver Spring, MD
“Lobster Quesadillas are a rip-off. Don't do it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Frankly I was little surprised by our experience at Cuzzy's. We had a very nice waitress who tried her best, but frankly what came out of the kitchen was disappointing to say the least.

The Lobster Quesadillas were not prepared in a way that all the sections of the quesadilla were even filled. Any by that I mean some were basically empty. When we sent our first ones back - one because of lack of filling and one was really burned, they basically sent us out a repeat of the same. The waitress tried to tell us that there was a whole lobster in the quesadilla, and then said there was only 4 oz in there. So, basically a rip-off. They want you to pay $15.99 for a quesadilla with 4 oz. of lobster. That basically makes the price per pound about $64 in that restaurant. I understand trying to make a profit, but that is pathetic and unscrupulous. Especially considering I paid $22 for 24 oz of lobster last week at Lunt's in Trenton, Me. When we were understandably upset by this, the waitress was trying her best to help, but I would suggest that attempting guilt tactics about wasting food is not the way to go. It is not my problem that your business practices encourage customers to refuse what you've prepared.

Since people expect a quesadilla to have evenly distributed contents, I made the suggestion to cut the lobster into smaller pieces so that the meat would be more evenly distributed and therefore seem like you're getting what you're paying for even if you're not. And perhaps at least people won't be so disappointed.

In addition, there was some sort of issue with the iced tea that made it taste like there was some sort of chemical in it so we had to return it too. All in all, I would not recommend this restaurant to people looking for either of these things or their nachos, which also were not good.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Christopher C, Owner at Cuzzy's Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Suecbrn,

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your lobster quesadilla while at Cuzzy's yesterday. In an effort to make sure that standards are met, and recipes and procedures are followed, I spoke with the head chef today to find out what happened. He assured me that the proper 4oz of fresh lobstermeat was used. He also stated that there was a new cook working and maybe the meat could have been cut smaller and spread about more, and maybe more cheese could have been used in your quesadillas, but the way we have been making them has been very popular.

I wish I could purchase 24oz of fresh lobstermeat for $22 !! I've searched high and low, but I cannot find anyone who will sell a quality product that cheap; maybe you could send your guy my way and I'd buy all he could produce. I pay $25/lb for FRESH TKC (tail, knuckle, claw) lobstermeat. I don't use frozen meat as many places do, and I don't use only knuckle and claw meat as many places do. If you think that my price of $15.99 is too high, and a rip off, then you just don't know much about restaurant menu pricing.

In general:
The industry standard for menu pricing is a 30% food cost. That means that the total cost of the ingredients should be about 30% or roughly 1/3 the final cost of the dish. The other 2/3 is supposed to break down to 1/3 for overhead & labor, and 1/3 for profit, but with the increasing cost of overhead, the profit portion is getting smaller and smaller.

Here's how my quesadilla breaks down:
4oz fresh lobstermeat - $6.25
Cream cheese spread - $.60
Flour tortilla - $.29
Shredded Cheddar/Jack cheese - $.37
Total food cost is $7.51
Using the industry standard formula, this dish should price out at about $22.50, but I think that is too high and I work very hard to give my customers a good value so my price is $15.99.

As far as the server telling you that the quesadilla contains the meat of one whole lobster, well, according to the Culinary Institute of America, here is breakdown of the average Maine lobster yield: Shedders yield approx 17-19% and Hard Shell yield is approx 20-24% of total weight. That would mean in order to produce 4oz of lobsermeat a sheddar would weigh between 1.32 and 1.47lbs and a hard shell lobster would weigh between 1.04 and 1.25 lbs. While there might not be "a whole lobster" in each quesadilla, there certainly is the equivalent amount of fresh meat.

I'm sure that if I were making lobster qusadillas at home I could use more lobstermeat and more cheese filling and they would probably cost less, but I also wouldn't have to figure in the cost of rent, labor, electricity, water, sewer, licensing, insurance, cable, firewood, etc.
So, before you start thinking, and publicizing that I'm ripping people off and not giving them what they are paying for, please get your facts straight because it just isn't true.

~Cuzzy
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Cuzzy's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Well, being orig. from MA/NH - had to watch the Bruins game. Cuzzy's had it playing. Had been there for lunch also, but dinner was very good. Wait staff for both lunch & dinner were super, attentive, and friendly.
would absolutely go again, next time in Camden.

Visited May 2014
Franklin, Tennessee
“Great lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stopped here for lunch and had a delightful time with great food and a super waitress. A really pleasant experience for us, we highly recommend this place.

Visited April 2014