“Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Camden” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Hot Grand Opening Deal!
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Camden
Denver, Colorado
“Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Camden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Inn this summer, and we just can't say enough good things about it. Greg and Sue have just taken over the Whitehall and are doing tremendous renovations. Their goal is to make it first class in every aspect, and I'd say they are well on their way to achieving that goal. We stayed in a newly remodeled deluxe room. It had without a doubt the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in - the mattress, the bedding, the pillows - WOW. Thick, soft towels; Aquos flat panel television - it's all top notch.

We've stayed at some high-end inns/b&b's and this was the best breakfast we've had. A nice variety is available on the breakfast menu. The first day, I had scrambled eggs with basil and mozzarella cheese - simple, but with excellent ingredients (I spoke to another guest who tried the eggs as well - she just raved about them). My husband had to fend me off with a fork to keep me away from his blueberry pancakes. I'm not normally a pancake fan, but these were unbelievably light and full of blueberries.

Dinner at the inn was also treat. They've hired a new chef from a well-known local resort. I'm sure that when Fodors, etc. visits them, the restaurant will earn rave reviews. Their wine selection was both very good and very well priced.

But the best part of the Inn is the service and the atmosphere. They provide excellent service in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. It's the kind of place where you enjoy sitting on the front porch or in the "parlor", or relaxing in the bar in the evening, and talking to the other guests. We enjoyed getting to know our innkeepers and their staff as well. I'd say they make you feel at home, but that's not quite true - this is way better than home!

We're already planning a return trip to Camden next summer and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. In fact, our enjoyment of the Inn is one of the reasons we want to come back to Maine.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Frinton-on-Sea, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed at the Whitehall Inn for 3 nights in June 2006. Camden itself is absolutely beautiful even in the rain which unfortunately we had quite a bit of whilst there! Don't worry though we were told it was an unusual year for it. The Inn is located on the High Street, although not a high street with lots of shops along it, but the most beautiful houses. It's a white clapperboard building with a long porch at the front with rocking chairs galore. Inside it is very charming and comfortable. The room we had was a standard and although small with excellent space usage for the bathroom, it was decorated beautifully and the beds are to die for, they were so comfortable that you sank into them! There is a restaurant and we were told that they had recently taken on a new chef. The food was very good, I can vouch for the baked salmon. Breakfasts too were a delight. In fact quite a lot of people who aren't staying at the Inn go there to eat either in the evening or for just breakfast. Whilst we were there it was quite busy as they had a wedding party but the quality of service did not suffer in any way. If you want to stay somewhere for a New England feel and charm I would definitely recommend The Whitehall Inn. It's location although slightly outside of the town centre was easily walkable in about 10-15 mins if that.

Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

My wife and I just spent 2 nights at the Whitehall Inn in Camden. We had a wonderful time. The owners and staff were more than friendly. Kim (behind the desk) was a sweetheart and Amanda (barmaid and waitress) actually drove to the liquor store to meet my request for pina coladas. The room we stayed in (#45) on the third floor was very well done and the bed was brand new and very comfortable. Almost everything about the Inn was fresh and new (newly finished floors, new paint and wallpaper, wonderful dining room, etc). We had just spent 3 nights in Rockport Mass at an Inn that was twice as expensive and half as nice. We are trying to figure out when we can get their again with our two teenage children since Camden has a lot of things to do. Greg and Sue (the owners) have done a wonderful job of refurbishing the inn and adding quality to everything especially the dining options. This has just become our favorite inn.

• Stayed July 2006
Lebanon, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

Truly, a fair wind has blown in from the sea and breathed new life into the venerable Whitehall Inn, located in Camden, Maine. New owners Greg and Sue Marquise have been working overtime to renew and refresh this classic coastal treasure, and for many returning guests, like us, who think of Whitehall as "Summer home," the changes are most welcome.
The Inn has an open and bright look, with floors refinished throughout, new lighting, subtle and tasteful paint schemes, new bedding, and some modern touches too, including recessed lighting, internet access in the lobby, flat screen tvs in the deluxe rooms. It's a tough balancing act to blend modern amenities with the character and tradition that Whitehall has represented for generations, but the Marquises have done it well.
The dining room seems airy and larger somehow, with new furniture and fixtures giving it a bistro look. There is a full breakfast awaiting guests, and the dinner menu has an Italian flair. The bar, too, has a new look with high and low tables, tasty pub fare, an affable and skilled bartender, and a screened side porch for after-dusk outdoor seating.
Unchanged, and best of all are the broad front porches, with their rockers and tables beckoning to all to come and sit, talk, read, share a drink, or simply do nothing at all and just enjoy the moment. So, leave the stress and tension, bring a good book, take a glass of wine out on the porch, and tell a friend--it's time to come back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2006

My family and I have been going to the Whitehall Inn for years, but we are most excited to go back again in 2006. We are so excited about all the upgrades that the inn is expecting in the next year. And from what we hear, the improvements will not at all affect the heritage which makes the inn so special. Camden is such a beautiful place and the Whitehall Inn has always been the greatest compliment in our trips there. I highly recommend staying at the Whitehall Inn to really enjoy the Camden expereince as it should be.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2004

This quaint Inn was just the " New England" we were looking for. Old Fashion charm and friendly, not stuffy Innkeepers and staff. Our Meals were delicious.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2003

My wife and I had a lovely evening dining at the Whitehall in September. It was quiet, relaxed and delightful. I had the duck, she the Filet Mignon, and we shared a nice bottle of red Zinfandel. The service was very good, (we were even greeted by the owners), and the food was excellent. The Whitehall's diningroom was elegant, and the table was set in a manner that even Martha Stewart would be proud of. I read an earlier review where someone complained about the service and noise. Perhaps these folks aren't familiar with Camden's very busy summer season, and assumed they're were the only people in town. Maybe they should come by again later in the season if they want the same quiet, serene dining experience we had. I know we'll be going back.

Been to Whitehall? Share your experiences!