“Good clean rooms at reasonable price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of International Motel

International Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calais
International Motel
You added International Motel to your Saves list
276 Main St., Calais, ME   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Calais
Shohola, Pennsylvania
“Good clean rooms at reasonable price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days recently. The rooms are vintage 60's motel rooms and small but very clean. We read the reviews of prior users and agree that the walls are thin and the place can be noisy. We were lucky enough to only have "next door neighbors" on the final night. Check in was quick but not exceptionally outgoing. We were attending a festival in Calais and the motel gave us an additional 10% discount for attending and the location was very close to our festival. Our room was well equipted with a small refrigerator and microwave as well as a flat screen TV. For the price, it was a good deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Centennial
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was going to give a decent review of this place until I called the front desk to ask a question and was promptly hung up on like I was bothering the guy on duty. My question? If the room next to mine was a smoking room. Why? Because my room was a non smoking room and as soon as someone checked in next door, my room suddenly stunk like someone was standing next to my bed smoking. So, I called the front desk and asked if room #4 was a smoking room. He said "yeah" then hung up on me before I could express my concern that my non smoking room comes with a $150 cleaning fee if someone smokes in it and it now stinks just as if someone had been.

The good points of this place: The rooms are clean, the beds are quite comfy, the towels are good sized and soft, fridge and microwave in the room, pet friendly at no additional cost and even though my room was in the older section, I found it rather charming with it's burled wood paneling, vintage bed lights and 1950's tiled bathrooms. The shower was huge and there was storage under the sink.

The bad points: The walls are thin. I was privy to every bathroom bodily function of one neighbor, the continuous, borderline barfing, coughing fits of another and as mentioned previously, the wonderful cigarette smoke of the third. The front desk closes at 10pm so if you need them for anything after that, tough. You must wait until the morning. They have a rude front desk employee. They do not offer any kind of discounts (AAA, AARP, Military) and they are pretty pricey for what you get. $75 a night for their cheapest room with only double beds.

Would I stay here again? I would have said yes, but the nasty cigarette smoke and rude front desk clerk just changed that answer to a solid no. I would bring my Passport and stay across the river in Canada.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

What a pile! Very poorly equipped. No irons in the rooms. You can easily hear conversations in the next room. Walls are paper thin. The "staff" spends most of his time asleep at the front. They close at 10PM and anything you need will have to wait. The room I was in was very basic and barely adequate. I left town a day early just so I could stay somewhere else. The only good news was that people seem to observe the no-smoking policy.
I had a "river" view room. Ranks right up there with a view of the cess pool.

Room Tip: Calais Motor Inn is across the street. Couldn't be worse and stay open.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
nh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed at this motel for over 2 weeks, March 2013. The room, bedding & bath very clean and housekeeping did a good job. There was plenty of parking and the grounds were clean too. The huge problem was in the Riverview building, the noisy hot water system including the base board heat ( and someone taking a shower @ 4:30 AM). The other major noise issue was the plywood flooring above me with a hollow space between the ceiling. Everything that went on in the room above was magnified, like a large drum. Normal walking, talking and moving chairs, it was aweful, no sleep :-( . The last issue was the vent system, every smell from the bathroom above seemed to decend down the vent in my bathroom, pooper.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New Brunswick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

A bit over-priced for the age and condition. But the room was clean. A welcome experience as we had been at the Motor Inn and changed our minds due the condition of the room there.

1 king size bed with a new tv, wireless internet and lots of hot water. Had a room down overlooking the waterfront, very pretty and quiet. Had to park above and walk down to it though.

The guy at the desk was friendly and struck up a nice conversation.

Would stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: Try to get a room down in back overlooking the water - large and not quite as dated.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel was the price. It is an old 1960's hotel. The bed was awful and you can very clearly hear your neighbor. I could touch the ceiling and I am very short. The doors open into the parking lot so you have no privacy.

• Stayed November 2012
Tusket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed there on October 14, 2012...was on my way home to Nova Scotia...My sister and her husband were bringing me to meet the boat, when my sister realized she forgot her Green Card..so we decided to stay on the US side, so we stopped at the International Motel, room rate was very reasonable, clean room and great service...internet could be faster...my sister's hubby brought me to the boat and my sister stayed at the motel....very nice dining room next door too

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to International Motel? Share your experiences!