“Avoid the Calais Motor Inn” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Calais Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calais
Calais Motor Inn
You added Calais Motor Inn to your Saves list
293 Main St, Calais, ME 04619   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Calais
MA, USA
“Avoid the Calais Motor Inn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

On a road trip to Canada, we overnighted at the Calais Motor Inn, and it was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. You are better off staying elsewhere or just crossing the border to find a place in Canada. This Inn was unsafe and noisy.

After we arrived, we went down to the "fully licensed restaurant" which was a drinking hole. The disgusting smell made us turn around and immediately exit. We went down the road and found a wonderful seafood place instead.

When we returned and went to our rooms, there was an overwhelming smell of pot as we went down the hallway. Entering the rooms, they were dingy and felt unclean. There were stains and cigarette burns on the carpet and furniture.

At one a.m., the 'fully licensed restaurant' closed and the patrons moved their drinking and smoking to the parking lot where they remained until 5am - except to noisily go down the halls when they needed to go to the bathroom. Around 2am, I placed a call to the front desk and received no one. I went down to the desk a half hour later and to my shock, there was no one there. This hotel does not have any employees minding the business during the overnight.

In the morning, I talked with the front desk person when she arrived at 6-6:30am and told her about the experience and lack of sleep due to it from the night before. She shrugged her shoulders and said it happened all the time. She told me that if I had a problem with the other patrons that I should have confronted them.

I did get the name of the owners, John and Christie Marchese, and was told to call back later to the same front desk if I wanted to talk to them. I also left my number requesting they call me. I have attempted several times over the past couple months to contact them, each time leaving a message. I have yet to receive a response.

When we left that day, the parking lot was loaded with beer cans and drug paraphernalia. We paid decent money for our rooms and did not get any rest. Even if the place was dirt cheap, it is still not worth the safety risk. The absentee owners and no one watching the place in the over-night makes it even riskier.

Room Tip: None of the rooms that our group had were nice, quiet, or free from the disturbances of the bad elem...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2015

if you are looking for a new york city, big time hotel this is not it. if you are looking for a clean, friendly, comfortable place with good food, then this is the place for you. we stay here every year with our cat, going back and forth to nova scotia. will continue to do so for at least the next 10 years.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Charleston, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2015

The hallways smelled of old smoke and were dark and not very clean, The room was straight from the 60S needs to be updated. The restaurant ws good and service was very friendly as there were only a couple of us in the place, good prices good food.
The pool was out of service at the time of my visit. But it was in January...
In town for work. Very blue collar stay.Had to stay somewhere. The Restaurant make this a better stay then the international...but not by much.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
John M, Owner at Calais Motor Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2015
We are new owners of this property and have been able to do some much needed renovations! However, in the winter months our renovations are at a slower pace. Our main building is entirely smoke free. Despite signs on every door & a strict no smoking policy we are constantly enforcing these policies. We apologize for this and hopefully during your next visit you will see more positive changes! Thank You!
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014 via mobile

If you need a basic room. Nice staff, room has what you need - fridge, microwave, free wifi. Free coffee in the AM. Tip: there's a Dunkin Donuts up the street. It's a small town. Seemed like a lot of people on my floor but it was pretty quiet. Off the street a bit so vehicle noise was low. And yeah, no pool so if you're looking for that, call and ask them. The staff is very straightforward, laid back, and pleasant. I'd been on the road all day and that was a pleasant surprise. I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

Checked in late one May evening with another couple. They had two rooms...gave the larger room to my brother and his wife and we took the smaller room in the main building. Their room was spacious, but old and tired linens greeted them. We had the same issues in our small room, but for us, our window overlooked the AC systems and the view consisted of bird excrement...piles and piles of it. Not a pleasant sight. Overall, this is not a bad accommodation. Ample and well-lit parking lot...closr to entrances. We were in a pinch, and it met our basic needs. I would not plan to stay here, but if the same situation evrr arises (as we are in this area often), I would definitely stay at the Calais Motor Inn.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Riverview, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

There is a pool advertised on the webpage. Too bad its closed. We booked here with a child to go swimming. 80 a night plus tax totally not worth it drive across the border or go to bangor. The rooms are old and outdated no elevator so be prepared to drag your luggage upstairs. Air conditioner is loud and annoying. Cant find the tv remote. The room is stale old carpet we kept our shoes on. Did I mention no pool? Beds are ok but next time ill know better.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Let's face it. Calais is a place that the modern decorating world has left behind. You won't find ANY accommodations that even come close to a holiday in express. This place is the best of the bunch. They try hard to meet your needs and have a large selection of clean, safe room. Amenities vary by room...as expected with a mom and pop owned motel. It's still very dated and can be dirty at times. Many of the bathrooms are dated and need to be replaced. The shower heads looks like your grandmothers garden hose nozzle. Food is really good in the attached pub. Pool was closed when I was there. Oh, and "spa" was a bit of a stretch.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Been to Calais Motor Inn? Share your experiences!