“Stunning service and food” 5 of 5 stars

The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Marine Drive, Ernakulam, Kochi (Cochin) 682 011, India   |
Ranked #2 of 17 hotels in Ernakulam
india
“Stunning service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I had a great stay with my family for 5 nights here.The food was the highlight of the stay.Chef Sinu Vijayan prepared excellent dishes for us during the stay.Paneer butter Masala was the best we had till now in any Hotel/restaurant in the world.My son likes only Paneer butter Masala and he had a blast with food during the stay.

Buffet breakfast was also good with local and international dishes.I also liked the chinese food in the speciality restaurant.

location is centralised and the complimentary boat cruise was also good in the evening.

Reception staff and house keeping Department was excellent.

Lullu Mall 30 min drive from hotel

Looking forward to go again

Room Tip: river facing rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Mr Sharma

I am also delighted to read that you found our team very friendly and helpful and that you very much enjoyed your our dinning experience. We have also designed the unique list of activities that one can do here so that the visitors are encouraged to try the different aspects that the unique culture of Kerala and the destination offers. At the same time, one would not even realize how the vacations have breezed past them. Apart from Bubble were you enjoyed your breakfast & the evening buffet we have the all new Pan Asian restaurant "Sian" which offers a unique oriental experience of Chinese, Japanese & Thai options.

Me & my team look forward to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
New Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Excellent central location, very friendly and helpfull staff. Good buffet breakfast and excellent dinner with plenty of cusine to choose from. Pity only spent a night but will use this hotel again when we revisit Cochin.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review and for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to know that you had a wonderful stay. I am also delighted to read that you found our team very friendly and helpful and that you very much enjoyed our dining experiences. Please do come back to stay with us the next time in Kochi, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

New Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We started our Kerala tour at the Taj Gateway Kochi and it was not a mistake.
Since we landed early morning i had asked for an early check in which without any delay. From what I recall I had booked a City View room but surprise surprise......my room had a wonderful view of the River/ ocean along with a city view, this was another pleasant surprise.
While this may be a half brother Taj (gateway) but the people and their commitment to guests is par excellence and maybe even beyond what one can expect at a full board Taj. The staff are very warm and accommodating, my 4 year old had a great time, he was pampered by the staff like anything...
The evening cruise was just wonderful, we skipped it the first day thinking it would just be another boat ride but when we decided to go for it on day 2 as we had some time on hand we realized what we could have missed out on .... it was truly fantastic

The breakfast spread is very good and room service food and service was delicious and wonderful.
The hotel is surrounded by commercial shops/ small malls ...food joints, and for bargains go to broadway.....all within walking distance
The rooms....yes they need a touch up, but I am not complaining, we had everything we wanted

Room Tip: take a river view....higher the better !!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am also delighted to read that you found our team very friendly and helpful and that you very much enjoyed your our dinning experience & the sunset cruise. We have also designed the unique list of activities that one can do here so that the visitors are encouraged to try the different aspects that the unique culture of Kerala and the destination offers. At the same time, one would not even realize how the vacations have breezed past them. Apart from Bubble were you enjoyed your breakfast & the evening buffet we have the all new Pan Asian restaurant "Sian" which offers a unique oriental experience of Chinese, Japanese & Thai options.

Me & my team look forward to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We and my friend's family stayed from 15th to 17th Nov'13 at this hotel. We were driving from Munnar and requested for early check in which was smilingly accepted. Evening cruise arranged by hotel was breath taking. Next day we wanted to visit alleppy for back water. Hotel suggested another option of backwater @ 35 kms away from hotel in a smaller village. It was one of the best experience of our life. Very senene ,isolated place with narrow water canals .Experienced Toddy and local snacks and tea. The guide Peter was fantastic.Do visit this place rather than going to a bigger back water places.
Evening spent is a hotel restaurant. Bets serivce you could hope for, a tradition of Taj hotels. That is the reason I always like to stay at Taj property whenever possible. What is more, late check out was also allowed without any issue.

Great value for money and you live in a different world.

My compliments to the hotel management.

Bhalchandra Ogale/Meera Ogale

Room Tip: I suppose all rooms are great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Mr Ogale

Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel. We are indeed glad that we could touch you to the extent that you were encouraged enough to do such a wonderful review for us. We have also designed the unique list of activities that one can do here so that the visitors are encouraged to try the different aspects that the unique culture of Kerala and the destination offers. At the same time, one would not even realize how the vacations have breezed past them. Apart from Bubble we have the all new Pan Asian restaurant "Sian" which offers a unique oriental experience of Chinese, Japanese & Thai options.

Me & my team look forward to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Very warm and hospitable, the staff are truly customer-centric. I remember on my first visit here I found that there were no health faucets and made a request. From my next visit onwards I was given rooms fixed with health faucets. It was nice to see this effort being taken to satisfy guests.

The restaurant is pleasant with a lovely skylight that lets in the daylight and has a glassed in view of the harbour and Marine Drive. The restaurant staff are also very customer friendly and go out of their way to make me the dishes I ask for. The food is very good and the service excellent. The upholstery of the restaurant is however due for a change.

The rooms are cosy and well appointed and the harbour side ones have a great view of the harbour. The guest really feels well taken care of.

By far my favorite place to stay in Cochin.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Mr Oommen ,

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel, Ernakulam!

This has reference to your feedback pertaining to your stay at the hotel .At the outset, I would like to thank you for your patronage of Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces. Your feedback is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests.I am also delighted to read that you found our team very friendly and helpful.

Me & my team would love to see you again at the Gateway Ernakulam and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We received an extremely warm and memorable welcome upon arrival at The Gateway. However, the most outstanding thing about the hotel is their hospitality.

I stayed there for two nights and had made last-minute changes to my three-day itinerary. The staff went that extra mile to accommodate these changes. One lovely lady in particular, Reema, was just superb. She really went above and beyond with our numerous requests even after we’d checked out.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Ms Begum,

Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel. We are indeed glad that we could touch you to the extent that you were encouraged enough to do such a wonderful review for us. I am also delighted to read that you found our team very friendly and helpful & thank you for these word of encouragement.

Me & my team look forward to welcome you to the hotel very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great hotel. Good service and very secure .Breakfast and restaurant great with live music. Great location near to public pier. Rooms clean. Only one issue swimming pool appaling. If you are staying there complain about pool and they will boat you free to their posher hotel near fort cochin. But..I think they should just sort it out

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view great
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
gateway e, Front Office Manager at The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Mr Bowden,

Thank you for your feedback and review of the hotel.

We are indeed glad that we could touch you to the extent that you were encouraged enough to do such a wonderful review for us. We have also designed the unique list of activities that one can do here so that the visitors are encouraged to try the different aspects that the unique culture of Kerala and the destination offers. At the same time, one would not even realize how the vacations have breezed past them. Apart from Bubble were you had your breakfast we also have the all new Pan Asian restaurant "Sian" which offers a unique oriental experience of Chinese, Japanese & Thai options.

Me & my team look forward to welcome you to the hotel the next time you are in Kochi.

Sumit Nayar

Been to The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam? Share your experiences!