“Great beach, but muchas problemas!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Generations Maroma, by Karisma to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Generations Maroma, by Karisma
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun - Tulum, Km 55. 3, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen, Mexico (Formerly El Dorado Generations)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 57% Off + Upgrade
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Playa Maroma
Bakersfield, CA
“Great beach, but muchas problemas!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Wow. We just got back from a seven day stay at El Dorado Generations, Maroma. Let me be absolutely clear about this particular resort. This resort is very new and that is why there are few reviews. That is also why I want to explain so much because there is very little information about the place online. It sits directly next door to the El Dorado Maroma. The El Dorado Maroma is a much larger, adults only, resort. The adults only El Dorado Maroma resort has been around for a number of years and has apparently been relatively successful. They added the El Dorado Generations for a place where familes with children could stay. The entire El Dorado Generations resort consists of only 30 rooms. They describe it as a "boutique" hotel resort. It has three buildings. I will refer to these buildings as the front building, the rear building, and the restaurant. I was told the front building only opened to the public about 3 months ago and the rear building about 1.5 months ago. The front building has the majority of the rooms (25 rooms), the lobby, and the kids club. The kids club is basicly a tiny daycare area that is open from 9am to 9pm. The kids club is complimentary unless you want after hours care. The kids club primary purpose is so you can take your kids there if you want to go to the adults only areas or enjoy a massage, romantic dinner, etc. I would not want to just dump my kids there for the whole day but its okay for an hour or two. The rear building has the remaining five rooms, all of which have a great ocean view. The rear building sits right up against the beach. The three upper level rooms of the rear building have their own private plunge pool. The lower level rooms have a shared ground level pool. The restaurant and main pool sits between the front and rear building. Both of the El Dorado resorts have a private beach. The El Dorado Generations private beach is ridiculously small, only about 100' wide, but its sits next to the public beach so you can use both and its is no big deal. You just can't go into the adults only private beach with kids. Sorry, this is all a little confusing! I will post pictures of the property on Trip Advisor so that you can get an idea of how the property is laid out. Let me put it to you this way. The entire area of Maroma Beach is all owned and operated by the same people. It is divided up into three sections. The public beach and marina, the private beach and resort of El Dorado Generations, and the private beach and resort of El Dorado Maroma.

While I was planning this vacation, I knew I wanted a really nice beach. I looked online at resorts all over the world, including Hawaii, assorted Carribean Islands, and Mexico. The main reasons I was attracted here were:

1. Nice Beach (one the nicest in the world per Travel Channel which I agree)
2. Nice new rooms
3. Quiet, no crazy party "spring break" atmosphere
4. Marina onsite available to take snorkeling, parasailing, fishing tours, etc.
5. Good food and alcoholic beverages included
6. Kids allowed

Now I will tell you, the beach is awesome! I was not disappointed with the beach at all. The hotel rooms/grounds were very nice. Actually, this place could easily be a 5 star awesome place if it were not for the problems that I will now go into. And I should also mention, everybody else we spoke with (many families staying there) had similiar problems.

1. We pre-paid for this entire trip in full. I booked the room directly through the resort (Karisma) website. I did not use a travel agency of any kind. To me, it was very expensive. Maybe to other people, this is just chump change. For a family of four, it was just under $7000.00 for seven nights. That was not including airfare and the excursion/tours we chose. By the way, my kids are 6 and 7 years old. When we arrived at the resort on a Wednesday night at about 8:30 pm, we were told that our room that we had already pre-paid for was not available because they were "overbooked". How does this happen when I have paid in full, in advance?!?! We were supposed to have a one bedroom, family, swim up suite. We were given a smaller room with an ocean view and they told us that we should feel lucky because it was an upgrade and is usually only for their "elite" customers. I had to get over it because I didn't want it to ruin our trip. A manager (Oscar) moved us to a bigger room for our last two nights, gave us a $250.00 resort credit, and two bottles of liquor. This was a nice gesture but didn't exactly make up for the problem.

2. The all inclusive aspect of the place is a joke. All inclusive resorts are supposed to offer food and entertainment activities included. This place offered no included entertainment unless you count the pool and a ping pong table. It was very obvious that they keep track of whether you tip or not. This will drastically affect whether they wait on you, ask you if you want a drink, etc. I mean I don't mind tipping but when it gets to the point that you are almost paying for the drinks, it ruins the point of all inclusive. I spent over $200.00 just tipping for food and drinks alone. The fact that they call it "Gourmet Inclusive" is actually hilarious. This place makes me hesitant to ever go to an all incusive resort again. The food is not good. It was not good at either resorts because I even got desperate, left my kids at the kids club, and tried the food at the adults only resort. The items I found the most tolerable to eat were the omelettes, chicken fajitas, shrimp tacos, chips, salsa, and guacamole. Ironically, most of the mexican food was gross. The room service is very slow. They often told us it would be an hour to bring us coffee and cereal. The room service containers were random. You never knew if you would get milk with the cereal, how much there would be, and what it would be in. Very inconsistent. Same thing with the cream for the coffee. Sometimes we would call for room service and they would not even answer the phone. Service at the only restaurant was equally bad. You would seat yourself and nobody would acknowledge you for 30 minutes or longer. There is nowhere you can go to get food or drinks for yourself, besides a very small (useless) breakfast display. You are at the mercy of the poor restaurant service and room service. By the way the restaurant, room service, and bar are all operated together. So if you eat at the restaurant, your waiter is constantly leaving to deliver room service to rooms. This really needs changing. The one restaurant has one bar. It is a swim up bar that is located inside the restaurant. If you want a drink, you have to get in the pool and swim up to the bar for a drink. Or you can go into the restaurant and just awkwardly stand there and wait for a drink. Oh yeah, the bar and restaurant closes at 9pm. So if you want a drink after 9pm, you have to walk to the adults only resort. Don't forget to tip when you order the drink there because they will ignore you next time if you don't. It was difficult to get a drink during our whole vacation. They are supposed to be waiting on you if you are laying around on the lounge chairs but that rarely happened. It is the hotel's policy that room service will not deliver any alcoholic beverages to your room. This place really should have a 24 hour staffed bar. If you like to drink on your vacation, I would bring your own alcohol. Your in room "mini-bar" (a.k.a. fridge) is stocked once a day per hotel policy with average 14-16 beverages. It contains canned beer, canned soda, bottled water, and occasionally juice. By the way, their orange juice, milk, and cream for the coffee on the resort is disgusting. The milk all comes out of a can or box. Like what we buy at the store on the baking aisle. The orange juice is an orange-tan color and I can't even describe the way it tastes. My kids put up with it and still had their cereal and milk in the mornings.

In conclusion, I would most definitely recommend spending a day at Maroma Beach. The activites at the marina were expensive but fun. For the money, I would not recommend staying at either of the resorts (El Dorado Generations or El Dorado Maroma). I really regret that I made the choice.

Room Tip: You probably won't get the room you request anyway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Maroma, by Karisma, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your review of your stay in 2013 , we would like you to know that we have taken note of your comments and experiences . we truly feel that we have learnt and improved since your stay ,making the Generations Maroma a top choice for family who desire the same level of high quality as adults only resorts.

Best Regards
Ignacio Lazaro
gm@eldoradomaroma.com

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Exton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Background: We are seasoned travelers who have been to many many all-inclusives with or without our three children. We have three girls 8,9, and 10 whom we have taken all over the world. My wife and I were looking for a family-time vacation just to slow it down and immerse ourselves in family. We have stayed at a Karisma hotel in the past (AZUL Beach) and had the " bait and switch" room problem there but still enjoyed the vacation. And this is where we begin....

We arrived and were put in an ocean front room which was very very nice but not what we reserved. After about an hour it dawned on me that this was not a one bedroom family suite that we paid for. I went to the lobby desk and was given a run-around that it was an upgrade and asked repeatedly if I didn't like the room.(our entire stay was this same maneuver with other guests). Hannah, the manager, arranged for us to go "look" at a one bed room family suite and there was no comparison despite losing the ocean view. As for the room, our minibar was only stocked once, the made service was so slow that the room make-up took us past 4pm each day. We had one turn down service and were only contacted by the concierge on next to the last day of being there.

The restaurant was absolutely horrible. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner always cold and consistently bad.(Mind you, I don't go to Mexico looking for world class cuisine--Venice yes. So my expectation on the food is to be edible average). For us to say it is bad means IT IS BAD. This is the furthest thing from an all-inclusive. No snacks, no mid day eating, no bar unless you were in the restaurant. My middle daughter asked if we can eat where the "first class people eat". A nine year old perspetive enough to realize the exclusion and how bad this place was. Oh-my children are not chicken finger and french fry eaters, they eat big people food but were governed to the that nasty kids menu because the regular menu was worse.

There is ABSOLUTELY no form of entertainment except for a ping pong table. The kids club was appropriate for maybe just maybe 7 and under. It is unreasonable and illogical to stuff your children in a tiny room and "go next door" to dinner if you have children the relatively same ages as ours.

The beach is absolutely beautiful. About the only thing good this place has going for it.

Whenever I see a review that mentions money, I immediately discard it because people have an expectation in there heads that is relative to what they can afford. BUT I have to say that this place was very expensive and an absolute rip-off for an all inclusive. I am considering disputing the charge on my American Express card.($11,000.00+ (includes airfare) for Wednesday the 27th to Monday the 1st).

Room Tip: Don't go with your children.
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were booked for a family vacation (9 people, 3 families) at Azul Fives and found out 18 hours prior to departure that Azul Fives was overbooked and 4 of us were "upgraded" to El Dorado Generations Maroma. We relied on the representations of our tour operator (Air Transat) that this was 1) an upgrade; 2) that it was only a 5 minute walk to Azul Fives (so we could still be with other members of our family); and 3) that we would be able to use the whole facility of El Dorado Maroma (which is an adult only hotel) as a "special exception" as we were "bumped" from Azul Fives.

The representations by Air Transat were totally and utterly false. The hotel is a 20 minute drive from Azul Fives, it certainly was NOT an upgrade and there was no "special exception" made for our family to enjoy the El Dorado Maroma.

If you have children and actually want to spend time with your children (we were offered to use the nanny so that we could go to El Dorado Maroma), this is not a great place to be. The pool is tiny. There are no activities. The beach is limited to 30 feet because kids are not allowed on the El Dorado Maroma property AT ALL. There is only 1 restaurant. There are no other amenities at all. No lounge, no gym, no water sports, no volleyball net, no evening entertainment. Nothing. There was not even a fully functioning front reception. Finally, the food was average at best. Same breakfast and lunch menu every single day. The grounds around this part of the El Dorado were terrible. It adjoined a tour operator with ATV's and poorly maintained grounds. Crowds of people visiting the tour company next door came and went all day long. The ATV's roared through the property endlessly. We have been to Azul Fives the past 2 years and there is just no comparison. We were very disappointed with the resort.

The only positive are the workers. The servers were amazing and since we were forced to eat 21 meals at the same restaurant, they got to know our names and tried their best to entertain our kids. Special thanks to Ismael, Emelio, Eduardo. They are genuinely nice people and were the highlight of our stay there.

I think the other review on this hotel is actually for the El Dorado Maroma, not El Dorado Generations Maroma. This Generations hotel is new in 2012.

I am blaming this entire mess on Air Transat Vacations for the misrepresentations, but I am also terribly terribly disappointed in Karisma and Azul Fives for overbooking. Do you not realize that people spend thousands of dollars to come to your resort? This would have been our third year at Azul Fives. Very very disappointed.

Room Tip: Book another resort if you have kids.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of your stay in 2013 , we appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry that you have had such a disappointed stay. This is definately not what we like to hear from our valued guests and we can assure you that your comments have been carefully considered in order to make improvements to our hotel , service and features.

please feel free to contact me personally

Best Regards
Ignacio Lazaro
gm@eldoradomaroma.com
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our 5th visit to this hotel in as many years. At first we were disappointed to see that it had grown with 2 new buildings and there was some disorgaization initially with our room. However, the staff was wonderful and worked very hard to ease and erase our disappointment and they did a wonderful job. Our room was upgraded to a fantastic room and the entire staff could not do enough to ensure our comfort and overall very positive experience. Our only hope is that they continue to focus on excellent customer service as the resort grows to include families

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Generations Maroma, by Karisma? Share your experiences!