“Very Special!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Pavo Real by the Sea is an intimate, magical restaurant at the edge of the best beach in the world. You will come for the gorgeous view, you will come back for the incredible food prepared by Chef Alfonso Gonzalez and the attentive service and excellent wine list. Enjoy cocktails in the open-air bar at the edge of the beach, then choose a table in the garden or in the cozy salon decorated with original art, sit back and let us serve you a meal you won't be able to forget. The menu includes fresh foie gras, local fish and seafood, rack of lamb, beef tenderloin, bouillabaisse...And more. For a really special occasion, reserve a private romantic dinner on the beach. We look forward to your visit.
Los Angeles
“Very Special!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Very Special!

We had such an amazing experience at this lovely restaurant, I’d give it 6 stars in all categories. The food was delicious, atmosphere beyond words beautiful and the personal attention of the wait staff and chef made us feel very special.

Being on vacation from Los Angeles where we have so many outstanding restaurants - owned by world renowned chefs - I didn’t think we should expect such sophistication in this tropical paradise. But what a pleasant surprise, I was wrong. The menu was so fantastic I had a difficult time choosing so my husband and I returned after our first dinner for a second and third evening before leaving Mexico. My husband and I ordered different dishes so between the two of us we’ve tried these and all were amazing: Appetizers and soups: the leek and scallop soup, sweet potato and saffron soup, foie gras, salad of the sea. Entrees: Fresh of the day Fish (we had both grouper and red snapper), Risotto with black truffles, Beef Tenderloin, Grilled Lobster with mashed yam and butter sauce and rice.

The setting is really beyond words but I’ll try. The outdoor tables sit on a stone terrace overlooking the pristine white sand and the water’s edge about 20 yards away. We were there on three different nights and each night there was this lovely continuous soft breeze. This aspect was important to me and in contrast to the other evenings we had dinner in Playa Del Carmen. Playa’s outdoor restaurants had no breeze, and the food not comparable to Pavo Real by the Sea.

The Pavo staff greeted us with such joyful smiles, remembering our names. Of course they are smiling... they get to be here everyday! Top notch food and really, it’s so beautiful you have to pinch yourself ☺. We can’t wait to return.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank karen C

New York City, New York
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

A heavenly setting, exceptional cuisine and superior service!
Thank you Pavo Real by the Sea for many unforgettable memories...

1 Thank Pandora C
Alberta, Canada
“Awesome With a Capital A.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

A wonderful way to spend an Anniversary dinner. A perfect Lobster dinner on the beach.
The waiter was very attentive and the French Manager was very friendly and made us feel very welcome.. :-)

2 Thank Thoroughbredlady
Los Angeles, California
“A Foodie's Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Talk about ambiance! We arrived just as the full moon was rising over the water, giving this wonderfully romantic and private restaurant an other-worldly glow. Within minutes I was drinking what turned out to be perhaps the best piña colada I've ever had. (They also offer an incredible selection of wines.) The menu - created by their French-trained chef - is filled with all sorts of local seafood and veggies. My wife and i enjoyed the mushroom risotto with truffle oil as an appetizer - and just thinking about it still makes my mouth water. My fresh-caught red snapper entree was equally delicious. At times it felt like we were dining at a top-rated New York restaurant - at least until the sea breeze wafted over us. The Mayan wait staff was wonderfully professional and our bill was surprisingly less than we expected. Will undoubtedly return here at least one more time before heading back to civilization.

1 Thank johnny d
Manhattan, New York, United States
“Sublime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have returned after a year and the exquisite setting and menu are truly a treat for the eyes and palate... A guaranteed sublime evening!