“My Dream Birthday” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Pavo Real by the Sea is an intimate, magical restaurant at the edge of the best beach in the world. You will come for the gorgeous view, you will come back for the incredible food prepared by Chef Guillaume Raynal and the attentive service and excellent wine list overseen by host Etienne Gondran. Enjoy cocktails in the open-air bar at the edge of the beach, then choose a table in the garden or in the cozy salon decorated with original art, sit back and let us serve you a meal you won't be able to forget. The menu includes fresh foie gras, local fish and seafood, rack of lamb, beef tenderloin, bouillabaisse...and more. For a really special occasion, reserve a private romantic dinner on the beach. We look forward to your visit.
Owen Sound, Canada
“My Dream Birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my third visit to the Pavo Real and I wanted to share it with my friends as a birthday treat for myself. This visit I wanted to see the restaurant and the beach by day, so I reserved early. I ordered in advance a fruit and cheese tray which was fantastic. It allowed my friends and I an opportunity to relax by the beach, drink champagne and enjoy. We all selected from the menu,lamb,risotto,chicken/shrimp was the selection. All was cooked to perfection with a bottle of white wine and my sister and I had the house red. Very good wine selection at the restaurant. I was encircled by the staff singing Happy Birthday in Spanish and English with a lovely chocolate dessert. We stayed well into the night and I am looking forward to my next visit. Thankyou to chef Raynal and the staff of Pavo Real for a Dream Birthday.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Fort Worth
“Some Meals Take You Away.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Chef Raynal offered to cook my wife and I a dinner of local Red Snapper - and of course, we agreed : ) The night we came for that - the platter of four snapper, surrounded by fresh vegetables - was amazing. The fish was very well prepared, JUST the right level of cooked and the seasoning at JUST the right level to tantalize - and keep you digging! We had evening meals at this beachfront restaurant many nights during our two weeks staying nearby - we just kept going back. I found the wines a solid selection, reasonable for a resort area, and Jose, Joshua and our hostess were quite attentive and delightful to interact with. I believe when you go to a resort area that is 5 star - and you find a gem like this so easily accessible - price does not really matter - but I found the resort pricier - so I was quite happy. Chef Raynal is quite talented and willing to 'custom' a meal for a patron. Why? Because that is what professional and talented chefs do - because they love to create. Lamb, lobster, fine steak and local meats and vegetables. You cannot lose here. The view? - well - right on the beach and only outpaced by the service and atmosphere.....don't miss this one! I have had many meals and only ONE took me away to a place - this was the second in my life that has done that. A place of contentment...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Pavo Real a real Turkey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having read the other reviews, maybe we hit on a bad night.
Great setting! Must have a drink outside overlooking the beach. The restaurant is lovely. The food selections unique (NOT KID FRIENDLY THOUGH). Prices are high, Diner for two with a bottle of wine over $250. We had the waiters recommendations, the tuna and the stuffed squid. The tuna had the texture of being frozen, not fresh and it was overcooked. The stuffed squid was not fresh either. One squid was not edible, tasted bad You know what I mean if you ever had a bad clam/oyster. If the food was quality that night was up to the price point then the review would be favorable, but is just was not their that night. The restaurant offered free transportation from our resort, very nice. We did return back to the resort with another party and asked them about their meal. The ones who ordered the Tuna were disappointed as well, same comments. No one in the other party had the squid.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
maromero, Owner at Pavo Real by the Sea, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your visit to our restaurant and your comments. All suggestions are welcome in helping us make it the best in the Riviera Maya. We have talked with our chef and we know that he and our hostess visited your table as is their custom, and you told them about the tuna but didn't mention any other concern. We are very sorry that the dishes you chose didn't meet your expectations, and we are gratified that you enjoyed our beautiful setting and personalized service. We would love to have the opportunity to get a five-star review from you on your next visit. We created and operated Maroma Hotel and now with our family we are creating a new handmade hotel to accompany our restaurant, and your input is much appreciated.
NOTE: Our prices are average for a fine-dining restaurant and we have a very nice selection of good wines, many at moderate prices. A couple can enjoy a wonderful dinner and a bottle of wine without breaking the bank.
Sally Shaw Moreno, Owner
Lafayette, California
“Don't miss this one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We found Pavo Real online because we were looking for a special place for our anniversary dinner. We really need a break form the food at El Dorardo Maroma as well. The Pavo Real we found out, is only just up the beach and they would come and pick us up and bring us back. We had a wonderful diner. They had great wines by the glass, the house red blend, Zip, we just kept ordering instead of getting a bottle. Also being from CA, I was able to get Foie Gras and it was treated perfectly. The rack lamb was cooked perfectly as well. The staff was great, they knew it was our anniversary and made a special desert and a really nice cocktail. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and we are surrounded by great places to eat. I would put Pavo Real's food in the same class as many of the best in the bay area. The setting is really nice, the restaurant is in a small building and has a great patio leading down to the beach. It feels really comfortable and relaxing. There are only 7 tables, and it is quiet and intimate. A great place for a special dinner. If you are in the area at one of the resorts, do yourself a favour and come to Pavo Real and enjoy a relaxing special intimate dinner. The staff will make it happen and the chief will make food that might be the best in the area.

Chicago, Illinois
“Intimate, upscale meal with stellar beach views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We came here for our anniversary dinner. I made the mistake of not specifically requesting an outdoor table, but we ended up with one when someone cancelled. This restaurant is almost worth it for the views and intimate setting alone. Service was very slow, but it appeared to be an oversight on the waiter's part. I had surf and turf. It's almost unfair for me to rate the beef coming from Chicago, but I would rate it as average. The lobster was HUGE and seasoned well (although I thought I tasted some Lawry's, LOL). The price was reasonable, and the lobster was much more than I would have expected. My wife got the lobster and loved it. The waiter brought us a complimentary dessert for our anniversary which was very nice. Including tip, I paid just shy of $200 USD which included two mixed drinks, two appetizers, and a glass of wine. It was worth the money and we both enjoyed the experience. I would definitely come back, but would come a little earlier so we could thoroughly enjoy the view of the beach and leave around sunset.

The restaurant also provided free transportation to and from our hotel which was a nice touch.

• 4 of 5 stars Food