“Good Resort Great Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Playa Maroma

You added Catalonia Playa Maroma to your Saves list
Catalonia Playa Maroma
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal #307 | Pto Juarez Km 360.250, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
“Good Resort Great Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here from July 17th thru the 24th. This was our honeymoon and we had a really good time.

We stay in a comfort room with the Privileged access. The room was fine. Nothing to over the top but still nice. We did have a broken TV and it took them a couple of days to come and fix it. But the mini bar was free, they have free wifi and they are provided great service so that made up for it.

We ate at all the restaurants and the buffet, food was very good. We enjoyed our food cery day every night. They also do grilling on the beach for lunch that was really good.

They alao have some amazing deals at this resort. We did two lobster dinners, which were so delicious, so beautiful, very romantic, great price!!!! Also we had an amazing massage that also was a very great price. I recommend both. If you have any questions whike your there, go to Pilar or Gudalupe, they were soooo amazing, very very helpful and very nice. Also Alice was a really sweet girl that loves to get people involvedin the activites around the redort. I was really happy with the service.

The only things that I will say that is more on the negative side is the mosquitoes are so horrible so bring a lot is bug repellent and because me and my husband like to go out and party a little, we were pretty far away from playa del Carmen and Cancun. You can take a taxi but you can't really negotiotaions on price. It's was 50 round trip to playa and 100 to cancun. So that sucked a little. But the resort was nice and the beach was absolutely beautiful and amazing. I have lived in Miami and I live in the Sarasota area now and this beach is probably the best I've been too. Very enjoyable.

I would definitely recommend this all inclusive to anyone I really really enjoyed myself.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband, 4 year-old son & I stayed here from 7/12-7/21. Because of its low price point, we did not have very high expectations and kept them low. The resort itself is a lower category (with evident need for upgrading in less visible areas like bathrooms, A/C system in rooms, certain fixtures) but there are some serious issues with maintenance and hygiene in certain areas. We were in 5 different rooms during our stay here. The first (#6118), had obviously been flooded recently due to the strong moldy smell in room, and moldy-smelling pillows in closet, as well as poor A/C. As some people who have also stayed here, we noticed our safe had been opened our first night there when we returned to our room, but nothing had been removed. After much back and forth with the "Privileged" concierge, Nina (who had an unbelievably fake "friendly" demeanor), we were then moved upstairs to a smaller room( #6217) with two-full sized bed, which couldn't adequately accommodate the three of us comfortably. Again, Nina grudgingly then moved us to room (#6218) which was the nicest room we had during our stay. The A/C worked well, the room smelled clean, and we started to relax and settle in to our room. The next day, we were contacted by the front desk (Filiberto), who said that as a "gift" to us, they would offer us an upgrade to an ocean-front view room, and they wanted our current room for a special needs family who needed to connect to the room next to it. Though happy with the current room, we made the change to the smaller room (#6222) not only to accommodate the child, but the room did have a lovely view. So we moved again, which was not fun since we had just gotten comfortable, but hoped this would be the last issue. That night, we noticed the A/C was not working well, so we called a repair person who came up and worked on it. When we came back from dinner, it wasn't much better, so we decided to call the next day to resolve. At that point, we started dealing with one of the managers named Pilar who tried to help as best as she could within her abilities, but ultimately there are many larger-scale problems with the hotel itself that have to be fixed first.
Hygiene issues that we experienced:

Flying bugs in open-air food buffet and on food.
Towels and linens that were not regularly changed after being used and put on floor to be changed.
My personal shower glove that had been left in shower smelled strongly of bleach after room had been cleaned.
Lunch Cafe Tortuga had hair wrapped around some of the hot dogs on rotary grill.

The toilet in our room (#6222) failed twice and was clogged, and drainage in sink was clogged.
At our fifth day into our stay, we started experiencing GI issues and our 4 yr. old awoke at 4:30AM on our sixth day with high fever and diarrhea. We requested a room change since the toilet was not functioning and Pilar gave us a honeymoon suite (#6324) on the next floor up. We took it even though the room was much smaller and the A/C was faulty (again) because the bathroom was very new and looked cleaner than anything we had seen so far, and our son needed a toilet that functioned. That night, my son's condition worsened and when I tried to use the in-room phone to call in the local doctor, the phone did not function. I could not believe my eyes (or ears). I had to go down 3 flights to call the front desk to get a doctor. When he did arrive, he examined our son and said he believed it was a case of Travelers Diarrhea, and offered us the option to treat our son with his own meds. We were going to have him treat our son, but I conferred with a family member who is a physician and was advised to take him to the Hospitel in PDC, which we ended up doing.
At the hospital, he was diagnosed with Amoebic Dysentery and was admitted. We all stayed for two days in the hospital, had to pay $2,600 out of pocket for his care, and now we are all on meds to contain the parasite. Pilar did call the hospital to follow up on the situation, though we are convinced it was strictly to assess the situation and offered no compensation, no cab fare, nothing, other than telling us how sorry she was for our situation.
We spent one last night in our room before we left the next day, and when we were checking out the next day, the person checking us out (Willie) had the audacity to charge us for an in-room phone call (which was bizarre because our phone didn't work). Pillar came out to see us, and promptly rectified the 20 peso charge, but again no offer to do something for our horrible circumstances. She actually asked if we would consider visiting again, which made my head spin. Horrible, horrible, horrible. We are in the process of trying to ascertain exactly where the source of the parasite came from, and at the hospital were told it was definitely food-related.
We did have a day trip to Isla Mujeres early in our trip but ate at a large fast food chain, but the majority of our meals were on-site at Catalonia.
Our opinion of this resort is obviously unfavorable, but in the end we chose this resort because of its attractive low price point and location on the beautiful Playa Maroma. We have learned (in an awful way) that a bargain is not always a bargain. For what was spent in hospital stays, doctor charges at hotel, medicines, future doctor visits & monitoring since this is an extremely contagious, hard to get rid of disease, and lost time from work, etc., we could have stayed somewhere much better and of less questionable hygienic practices, but we had no way to anticipate the hell this trip became.
Hope this story helps someone who is considering a trip here.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this resort.
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PlayaMaroma, Gerente at Catalonia Playa Maroma, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. We deeply regret not meeting your expectations during your stay at our hotel. We do value and encourage guest feedback as it allows us to make improvements and helps us to maintain consistent high standards of customer service.

You make very serious and unsubstantiated allegations which we find very distressing indeed. Your statements are not backed up by any conclusive evidence whatsoever. As I am sure you will be aware, we take these matters very seriously. Therefore, I would like to clarify the following points in reply to your comments.

First, our air conditioning system is in perfect working order. We have not had any complaints regarding this matter. Please note that, with regard to Module 6 in particular, there have been no incidents of any kind so far this year. We do, of course, have a maintenance team at our guests’ disposal. We completely understand that air temperature is perceived differently by different guests. Be that as it may, we assure you that we maintain the proper standard temperature which is in keeping with the climate we experience here in the Riviera Maya.

Second, due to our Caribbean location, humidity is extremely high which may, from time to time, cause a musty smell. We do not have any mold or dampness in our rooms nor have any problems arisen as a result of these. Nevertheless, I would like to emphasize that our rooms and common areas are thoroughly cleaned on a daily basis following strict standards of hygiene. Moreover, we replace towels that are left on the floor with clean ones. We also change sheets daily unless a guest requests otherwise. What is more, we are happy to report that all of this is done according to environmental guidelines to avoid wasting any water.

Third, we would like to take this opportunity to inform you that our hotel is a member of the CRISTAL quality assurance program and, as such, we undergo monthly quality assessments where we have exceeded our targets. In addition, we have our own internal quality assurance program where we also continue to exceed our targets.

Fourth, we would like to remind our future guests that Hotel Catalonia Playa Maroma is a completely safe environment. We do not open or tamper with safes. It is an extremely serious allegation and reckless thing to suggest otherwise; all the more so when it is completely unfounded and there is no evidence to support it.

Fifth, our hotel is located in a mangrove area. It therefore follows that there should be mosquitoes, ants and bugs in such surroundings. Thus, we fumigate the hotel every day including common and perimeter areas, restaurants, bars and kitchens. We also conduct a comprehensive monthly review of every room.

Sixth, we must point out that stomach problems are common to and may be caused by many types of disease or illness. It is incredibly difficult to determine what causes gastrointestinal illness especially when guests have eaten outside the hotel, as is the case here. Thus, we cannot be held responsible for an illness whose cause cannot be fully determined, particularly when it may have been acquired before your stay at our hotel.

Finally, we would like to highlight two important issues:
• In the case of a sick child, who is a minor by definition, it is the sole responsibility of the parents to take him or her to see a doctor. It follows that we cannot force anyone to do so even if, as was the case here, it took you almost two days to contact a doctor. It is therefore not surprising that a child with such symptoms and a fever had to be admitted into hospital as a matter of urgency.
• Gastrointestinal infections require patients to follow a special diet. It is not possible to carry on eating as normal. Demanding room service is therefore inappropriate (it is not even a service we offer at present) as is ordering pizza, lasagna, pasta with sauce and other processed foods rich in fat. This type of diet will only make symptoms worse.

We deeply regret the discomfort experienced during your stay. However, we hope we have made it clear why we cannot be held responsible for a guest’s illness particularly when it could have been caused by a whole number of different factors. Furthermore, there is no evidence to support any of your assertions, therefore rendering them baseless accusations.

We very much hope this clarifies the situation.

Yours faithfully,

The Management,
Hotel Catalonia Playa Maroma
Yonkers, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I would like to start by saying that i have stayed in almost every place in Cancun and Riviera Maya in.I visited Le Blanc,Live Aqua,Beach palace,Sun palace,Excellence Playa Mujeres,The Royal in Cancun,The royal in playa del carmen,Fiesta Americana Condesa,Dreams tulum,Paradisus La Perla,Aventura Spa palace,Hard rock cancun,Grand Velas, Paradisus La Esmeralda,Secrets Maroma beach, Playacar Palace, Moon palace, Aventura Cove palace,Dreams Puerto Aventura and Iberostar Paraiso Lindo.If anybody got questions about these places ask away.I will also write reviews on these places.No im not bragging just trying to help out if you want comparisons or need help making up your mind on a hotel choice.

Okay now that i got it out of the way I was hesitant to go here based on the bad reviews and all i got to say those people are way too picky.My expectations were very low and they surpass everything i wanted in a hotel.I booked a priviliged comfort and upgraded to oceanfront when i got there which really is just ocean view.The room wasnt ready so I went to get lunch in the priviliged only snack bar.I ordered a burger and it was delicious.Please order the chocolate cake for dessert it was amazing.The room was ready at 3 and it was a nice room and the wifi works great there.There isnt any room service just in case you havent read the reviews and also no dvd player in the room.The shower doesnt have much water pressure also.

POOL: The pool is alittle warm for my liking but i managed to enjoy it.It was very hot outside so a hot pool doesnt work for me.The animation team tried there best to get everyone involved.There is chair saving here but thats almost every hotel which i hate.I refuse to wake up at 6 am for a lounger.Bring your own floats since the hotel doesnt provide any.

FOOD:The food here is very good.I ate from the ala carts every day with the italian beign my favorite.Try the lasagna it was very good and the chocolate cake for dessert ask for a scope of ice cream to go with that .You get 1 Tapas dinner if your priviliged and 4 restaurants for the week.They have 4 restaurants and they are all in the same area.We went to the buffet for breakfast everyday and except for the service it was all good.They had the typical american breakfast and other foods so you will always find something.

Beach:They do save chairs here just like the pool.I have been to beautiful beaches like Grace bay beach and Punta Cana but theres something about Maroma beach that makes me want to keep coming back.The sand is very cool and like sugar.The beach is not rocky and not alot of waves so it was perfect for swimming.

Overall My wife and I decided we will come back.The kids club was great my daughter had alot of fun and every morning we enjoyed looking for coatis and monkeys which were very hard to find compared to the koatis.Give this place a try you will enjoy the fact there is so many different people from all parts of the world and at this price I havent found a place that compares.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

It may be late, we were there in late March, it was the 1st time we in Mexico, truly loves the resort, staff is friendly, beach is great, activity is well organized. Upgraded to privileged, love the access to the lunch restaurant with the wonderful view.

There were some problems with the checkin process, we were supposed to have a towel as part of service but never got one for the entire week. Food in buffet is truly so-so, not even compared with my past trip in Cuba. Excursion guy is very helpful, it seems they accept US only, I did exchanged some peso when I pay the guy will use the USD rate to convert to peso, it is somewhat confusing. Also, we are in building 5, the resort next door host crazy party every night, impossible to sleep before that is done!

Overall is good, we will back in Dec but not this resort.

Room Tip: do the upgrade
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Torreon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in June 2013, my wife, daughter (9 years old) and son (1 year old). The hotel is nice, located on the Riviera Maya on Punta Maroma, the beach is great, and it is cataloged as one of the best in the world. Services and installations of the hotel are the average of an all inclusive hotel. Only problema is distances, from room to restaurants you walk a lot (specially the breakfast restaurant).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for one week back in October 2012 which was booked in a package with the flight and transfers inclusive. At first I was a bit aprehensive as I do not normally buy these sorts of packages, so investigation on hotels took me forever.
I have finalyl decided to go for this hotel as it was not too big and was located in Maroma beach (A paradise!).
The complex really surprised me. Overal its a really nice All Inclusive resort featuring a very good restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Considering what the price I thought food was quite reasonable. Perhaps a bit more variety on the buffet would be appreciated, however when you check in for a week you are also entittled to have 1 meal at every thematic restaurants they have (4 in total), which makes your dinners a bit more varied.
Our room was quite spacious and was painted in bright colors. The bathroom however sometimes would have a bit of a smell.
The only downside was that during my stay my room facade was being painted and there were actually men walking in my balcony (who could have easily open the door and come into my room). all this without any previous warning! This did not help my stay at the hotel.
Despite this problem, everything was just great. The hotel faces the beach and Maroma beach is just incredible!
I highly recommend this hotel if you manage to get it included in a good package holiday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Catalonia Playa Maroma is an excellent resort. I liked the fact that is not too big of a resort. It's perfect for families, my daughter had lots of fun swimming at the pool and found friends to play with. Clean resort, good food (we particularly liked Toscano restaurant for dinner). Transportation is very expensive :Taxi driver charged us 100$ for a roundtrip to and from Playa del Carmen, about 20 minutes away! ( it was a van and there were 7 of us, but still).
Better rent a car if you plan to take few trips around.
I would recommend this place to anyone. And yes get, if you can, the privilege package.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!