“Stay at the Catalonia Playa Maroma” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Playa Maroma

You added Catalonia Playa Maroma to your Saves list
Catalonia Playa Maroma
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal #307 | Pto Juarez Km 360.250, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
Baytown, Texas
“Stay at the Catalonia Playa Maroma”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our group of 2 couples stayed at the Catalonia Playa Maroma April 13-16, 2013. We have stayed at many all inclusives in the Riviera Maya area in the past, but first time at this resort. The resort is small and nice, not overly spectacular. The beach is the best part of this resort. Beautiful powdery sand beach with turquoise water. No rocks and the water is not so rough that you cannot go out pretty far in the water. The pool is very small. And unless you get up early and put your towels out, you will not get a chair with any shade around the pool or on the beach. There are also not alot of waiters and you are better off getting your drink yourself at the bar. Try the Banana Mama...very good! We upgraded to the priviledged superior room and was in building #2 and had a resort view. The room was nice and had a very large balcony. The bathroom definitely needed to be remodeled. We had A/C problems the first day and a repair man was sent immediately. It was a little colder after the repairs, but still not very cold in the room for the rest of the stay. We also had the light repaired in the entryway that did not work when we arrived. After he left, we also realized that our door lock was broke. The door locked but there was no way to lock it once we were in the room to ensure that the cleaning people could not just walk in with their card. The breakfast buffet was very good-lots of choices and hot food. The dinner buffet by the lobby and lunch buffet by the pool was not very good. Not a lot of choices and all the food was lukewarm. The Tapas lunch was great and the view is awesome! We also went to the Mexican ala carte and it was very good. The coatis running around the resort are also interesting to watch. We had a couples massage at the spa and it was very relaxing and we enjoyed it. We went to 1 show at the theater. It was a Madonna themed show. There are definitey some talented people in the cast, but the show was very cheesy. Several times we laughed out loud at some of the dancers and the show! Overall, the best thing this resort has going for it is the beach. Unless I got a great deal on staying at this resort, I do not think I would stay here again. There are much nicer resorts in the area for the price of our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in building #2. This building is in the middle of the resort. Same distance to front of re...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Living room
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Just what we were looking for! I was worried we were going to be surrounded by loud obnoxious drunken 30+ year old reliving the good ol' college days. A majority of the patrons spoke French followed by Spanish and Italian. It was really relaxing not to hear whinny kids and not hearing parents give idol threats. It was such a relaxing resort. The staff was multi-lingual and hard working. The privileged upgrade was well worth it!! The 6000 room block was the bomb as it was close to everything and still had privacy. This was such an awesome vacation spot!! Olympus Tours was not bad at all. If your looking to get drunk and rowdy this is not the place for you. If I had kids I would take them here so they could be exposed to other kids from different cultures. It's really a beautiful resort and would definitely go back !

• Stayed April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We just returned from the Catalonia Playa Maroma and had another great stay. We stayed here three years ago and they have made a few changes since then. The beach lounge area and privileged lunch area are nice improvements. We stayed in the privileged section and the room was very nice. We had a great view of the pool and the ocean. The beach is beautiful and the food was very good. We have no complaints. This is our seventh trip to Playa and third stay at a Catalonia. We've also stayed at the Riu Palace, Riu Playacar, and El Dorado Royale. We'll be back at the Catalonia again. The staff are wonderful. A few outstanding staff members: Adriana and Samantha at the Privileged registration, Enrique and Portfilio from the beach bar service, Brenda from animation, Francisco and Carlos from Tio Pedro, Juan from the buffet restaurant, both Cornelios from the Tapas restaurant, Amelcar from the privileged lunch restaurant, and Fabio from the buffet and tapas restaurant. I'd also like to thank Andrea from reservations who took care of the details for the special occasion we were celebrating.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Hi everyone!
Well, here's my review....
I travelled with my 2 kids (5yrs and 3 yrs) and hubby.
We booked the privileged rooms.
Just to give a small background on myself, I've travelled the world,stayed at many resorts and hotels.

First off, the location from the airport is great!! About 35 mins from the cancun airport! Our transport was a minivan!!! Which was great!! No stopping at other resorts!!
We arrived at the hotel at 10:30am-room was not ready. Finally checked in at 3:30pm!! It was a little difficult with kids since they were up so early... They got a little tired from roaming the resort and playing in the ocean.

Ocean/beach: beautiful!! Soft, powdery white sand, turquoise waters, long beach to walk!! I was impressed!!!

Pools: nice! They slope in.. Easy for kids! The kids enjoyed it.

Hotel room: we booked the privilege room. The room was kind of updated... The bedroom portion was updated, but the bathroom room portion was not. The tiles and grout are cracking, dirty.
(Parents, there is no tub to bathe kids.. Only a small shower.)
The lighting in bathroom is dim... No pressure in shower or toilet.
Towels were always clean.
It would be nice to have updated bathrooms so you feel like your on a vacation and not using the public community pool washrooms.
That was my only problem with the rooms.
Beds were comfy... Never had a problem sleeping on it.
It's set in the jungle so lots of bugs and small tiny lizards seems to get it the rooms.
Bring string to use as a makeshift clothes line on balcony.
We stayed in building 4.

Staff: cleaning staff were sweet. Always left us towel animals. (We tipped)
The restaurant staff... Not friendly. Not mean... But not friendly. Just going through the motions of their job. (We always tipped no matter what).
The animation team... They did the best they could. Alice (from the UK) is really sweet. And Jesus was cute too. They work super hard!!! All day and night!!!
The guests are exactly what the other reviews state. They are Europeans, or French Canadians mostly.
We are Canadians as well from Toronto (we dont speak french) the overall vibe in the hotel was 'everyone kept to themselves'. I don't think the Europeans are snobby... I think they came to relax. Not to socialize.
If you are looking to meet new people and party it up... Don't come here.

Kids club: it was ok. They take a 3 hr break for lunch. You must pick up your child. The week we were there, there were not many kids in the kids club. Maybe 4-5 at most. Most of the kids did not speak English, but kids always managed to communicate somehow. The kids club team was nice, only 1 spoke English. The other ones only spoke French and Italian.
It's a basic set up... Nothing spectacular.
My 5 yr old son enjoyed it everyday and loved attending. So it was fine.

Food: I'm not a picky eater. So I found they had lots to offer. It tasted fine and I was full every meal.
The Italian a la carte was the best a al carte. I guess the cater to a lot of Italians, so they better get it right!
My kids enjoyed eating whatever I put on their plate. (I'm not a hot dog and hamburger mom) they ate everything fine. Lots of fresh fruits available.

TOWEL GAME IN FULL EFFECT!!
We had to get up at 5:30am to get sunbeds under a straw hut for shade!!!
Otherwise, if you don't care for shade get up whenever... Lots of sunbeds with no shade at any given time.
By 6:30am.. All the shaded sunbeds were gone!!!!!
Another thing that peeved me was.. NO ONE monitors the privilege side of the beach sunbeds!!!
Lots of NON privileged bracelets were on the privileged side of the beach!!! It bothered me because I've payed my price to upgrade and have exclusive beach side and sunbeds!! (Maybe I didn't have to get up at 5:30am to reserve my sunbed if the non privilege guests didn't take them all).

We were on a 10 day trip there, on day 5 they put a notice on our door that we could be have a 'complimentary upgraded' to a suite at the catalonia riviera maya hotel. (30 mins away)
I assume that they were overbooked and they needed the rooms.
Well, after 5 days at this resort... We decided to take it. (We have been to catalonia Rivera maya before, the beach is horrible there but I preferred the layout and vibe there) the high winds at playa maroma beach made it difficult to sit at the beach or enjoy water anyways with young children. We gladly took their offer.

Overall, this hotel is ok. I wish trip advisor allowed half stars ratings... Because I'd give a 3.5 rating. But I gave 4.
If you are a beach person... Definitely come here. If you're looking for an overall great vacation go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013
Canyon, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was our third time staying at this GREAT resort and although we have always been very happy with the food , service and rooms, we noticed several improvements Loved all the new seating around the beach bar..I really dont understand all the negative comments in other reviews.The Catalonia is the perfect size, not too small but it does not take you 4 days to find your way around. The walk to the main buffet is not really very far. I have been to other resorts where you have to take a shuttle around. We stayed during a busy time and we never had to wait for more than 5 minutes to be seated at any of the restaurants. The Italian was our least favorite on previous stays but this time it was the best, including the service of the entire staff. Our waiter Victor was the best.... We stayed in priveledge superior and the air conditioning worked great. Drinks on the beach our served with a big smile by Enrique who works very hard. The animation team was the best ever. Alice and Brenda were very friendly and took time to sit and talk to us each day and they were both wonderful in the shows. I had one small issue with getting more water in the room and Pilar, of guest serices took care of it immediately and was very happy to help and was truly concerned about making sure we were taken care of. Thank you Pilar..... This is not an elegant, fancy resort. It is a beautiful tropical beach resort with beautiful landscaping and palms trees all around, including on the beach. Rooms are not perfect, but again, they are beach rooms. Pretty, Clean and Comfortable. Some suggestions to hotel-self serve coffee and water at buffet, better top shelf liquor available for an extra charge, a reception for returning guests. ( They had one in 2011 and we really enjoyed meeting with the staff and learning more about the resort.). GREAT RESORT,TRULY BEAUTIFUL BEACH, GREAT FOOD,GREAT STAFF, GREAT FUN AND GREAT VALUE. THANK YOU TO ALL. ESPECIALLY PILAR, ENRIQUE,ALICE,BRENDA,MARIA FROM HOUSEKEEPING. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Stoughton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Catalonia Playa Maroma in the Privileged Section of the resort. From the moment we checked in, the staff was very attentive and easy to work with. The moment we saw the beach, we knew we would love it here! The beach bar is perfectly situated with some ample seating with comfortable couches and chairs to drink and enjoy the view. rooms are very nice with the same theme of authentic Mayan decor throughout the whole resort. There is everything available to you here - best beach in the Riviera Maya - great food - great service - nice shops with souveniers - fund Anamacion team. The percentage of English speaking guests was about 10% to 20%, and many of the staff do not speak English. The staff members who did speak English took great care to pay attention and spend time talking with us. One staff member named Brenda was so thoughtful every day spending time chatting and giving us information on the resort. All in all, I highly recommend this resort for families, couples, and anyone who loves a fabulous beach. You can walk for very long stretches on this beach back and forth. The drawbacks for some people might be that there is no swim up pool bar and the pool is good, not great. The resort is not new and not fancy, so if you want fancy, this isn't for you. There was a bit of a musty odor in the rooms, but it was not overpowering. I would recommend that if you are American, you would book the Privilege section - the best part is the spot you have at the beach. I will return to this resort, maybe get an oceanview room so I can look at the beach non stop! I look forward to returning to this resort again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had my doubts about this hotel because of the bad reviews, Unfortunately (and come to think of it now fotunately) my vacation plans where to take place during high season and there weren't many options. I decided to go to CPM mainly because of the beach. Once we got there we where very surprised, the hotel was charming in every way, almost all the bad reviews where so wrong. First of all we received an amazing treatment by our concierge Ninna, she was amazing! we reserved a privilege superior room and it was so nice, we had an ocean and a swimming pool view from our balcony (Room 6222), not luxurious but it was so comfortable and lovely. The beach was incredible! no picture can capture the beauty you experience when you get there. The beach alone makes it worth it but there is so much more. The swimming pool is great, the bar at the beach was great also and served a delicious cappuccino. The other thing I just loved was the jungle corridor, I can't believe there are people who would complain about this! It might not be for you if you have disabilities or are very lazy because there is some walking but it is less than a 5 min walk. They are fixing the road up to the hotel so you will provably not experience the dirt road leading up to the hotel from the main highway, but if you do, it's no more than 5 min in a slightly bumpy road. There where some bad things though, but In perspective not such a big deal, food was so-so with some delicious exceptions, the bath area of the room was very dated, I hope they do remodel these bathrooms soon, that would have made my trip absolutely perfect, but still every thing else was amazing and I appreciate the hard work of everybody that works in this resort. Also, I liked their FB page and for that they gave us a T-shirt and a plate of fruit in our room which was so nice.
Basically I found that all those po-pooers are people who should not leave for vacation outside the US. If you want all the comforts of home please stay home and leave the wonderful Riviera Maya alone, it's in the jungle, it's in Mexico and it's the most amazing place to have an unforgettable adventure.

Room Tip: Did not get to see the standard rooms but I would suggest the Privilege Superior in building 6, it...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Playa Maroma? Share your experiences!