Our group of 2 couples stayed at the Catalonia Playa Maroma April 13-16, 2013. We have stayed at many all inclusives in the Riviera Maya area in the past, but first time at this resort. The resort is small and nice, not overly spectacular. The beach is the best part of this resort. Beautiful powdery sand beach with turquoise water. No rocks and the water is not so rough that you cannot go out pretty far in the water. The pool is very small. And unless you get up early and put your towels out, you will not get a chair with any shade around the pool or on the beach. There are also not alot of waiters and you are better off getting your drink yourself at the bar. Try the Banana Mama...very good! We upgraded to the priviledged superior room and was in building #2 and had a resort view. The room was nice and had a very large balcony. The bathroom definitely needed to be remodeled. We had A/C problems the first day and a repair man was sent immediately. It was a little colder after the repairs, but still not very cold in the room for the rest of the stay. We also had the light repaired in the entryway that did not work when we arrived. After he left, we also realized that our door lock was broke. The door locked but there was no way to lock it once we were in the room to ensure that the cleaning people could not just walk in with their card. The breakfast buffet was very good-lots of choices and hot food. The dinner buffet by the lobby and lunch buffet by the pool was not very good. Not a lot of choices and all the food was lukewarm. The Tapas lunch was great and the view is awesome! We also went to the Mexican ala carte and it was very good. The coatis running around the resort are also interesting to watch. We had a couples massage at the spa and it was very relaxing and we enjoyed it. We went to 1 show at the theater. It was a Madonna themed show. There are definitey some talented people in the cast, but the show was very cheesy. Several times we laughed out loud at some of the dancers and the show! Overall, the best thing this resort has going for it is the beach. Unless I got a great deal on staying at this resort, I do not think I would stay here again. There are much nicer resorts in the area for the price of our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma