We stayed at the playa maroma from 14 nights from the 6th December. We had upgraded our room to a honeymoon room as we got engaged earlier in the year and wanted to treat ourselves. The room was beautiful with an amazingly comfortable bed and the jacuzzi on the balcony was wonderful, the shower was a good power shower and the room was always cleaned well. We did find that the tiles in the bathroom were looking rather old but this didnt really bother us as long as it was all clean.
We did find that compared to other hotels we have stayed in this did lack some of the personal touches we like, little things but we never had nice little towel animals and my night dress was never folded and put on the bed it was just thrown on the side. The bar team in the lobby were great and they worked very hard, the beach bar was good also however there was a girl that sometimes 'worked' in there and she really was awful very rude and hardly did anything!
The food was good and for us the Italian restauant was the best with fab service and lovely ambience, and nothing was to much trouble as many of the pasta dishes were vegetarian but i asked for the chicken with the pasta and yep it was done.
The entertainments team mainly spoke, Italian, french or spanish so didnt have much interaction with them and they knew we were British so made no effort to talk with us, the one girl from portugal was lovely and she worked so hard all the time making effort with everyone. There was a British girl Alice, that worked there but we found she was more interested in talking to the young french canadian boys than interacting with the only British people there!
We loved Mexico and would definetely return however not to this hotel, we very much felt that we were dropped off and then just left we saw our rep once who we booked our trips with and that was it! If we had had any major problems then we would have had to ring someone and deal with Thomson over the phone not great when you have paid so much for your holiday. The beach was truly incredible and luckily for me and my fiancee we dont mind each others company 24/7!
Please note this hotel does not except American dollars anywhere! We didnt know this before we travelled and we only took a minimum of money in Paesos which meant we couldnt use the Spa or the Shop or anything in the grounds of the hotel that was for an extra charge, they do a bereau de change in the hotel but the exchange rate was awful
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, MexVax, Tingo and Venere so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.