My husband and I have traveled to Mexico many times. We try to take three to four trips a year. We have stayed at many different resorts. (Palladium, Riu, Princess, Bahia, and Oasis) We would rate the Catalonia Playa Maroma at the top. Our favorite remains the Catalonia Royal Tulum, but the Catalonia Playa Maroma is a close second.
If you are going for the beach experience. CPM is exceptional. Plenty of lawn chairs, No nasty towel cards necessary, plenty of shade, beautiful long stretch of beach. *****stars.
If you are concerned about the rooms. I wouldn't be. We stayed in Bldg. 2. It was just fine. Bed was soft and comfortable. (we always worry about beds as we have had some really hard ones) The rooms were a little dated tile wise in the Bath, but TV was a flat screen, Internet reception was good. The walk to the beach wasn't too far, actually it was nice. I feel like any building would be great. Plenty of water and refreshments in fridge. (Sol Beer in fridge) We leave the maid a few dollars, daily. We put a couple of ones in the fridge and ask for the amount of beers and waters. It works. We always have plenty.
The Buffet was excellent. We enjoyed the a la cart dinners.
I read reviews about staff being distant, or unfriendly to Americans, Not so for us. They were very friendly and helpful.
The Beach Bar was a little crowded, and they do not offer top shelf liquor. We were ok with what they had. We usually stop at duty free on our way into the country and buy our Vodka. We have happy hour in our room. So if you are big drinkers, (hard liquor) you may be disappointed in the bar. We are big drinkers and have learned to take care of ourselves:)
My husband and I traveled with 5 other people. They placed us in adjoining rooms. 3 of the people had limited to no Mexico Experience. They all had a great time and said they would return.
My husband didn't have to wear pants to the dinners. He wore shorts, sandals, button down shirt.
Snorkeling wasn't that great. Water was calm, but there just wasn't much to see. We walked down the beach to the light house and found some good snorkeling. But you had to go out a ways, and there were boats in the area. So if you go down to the Lighthouse bring a friend to detour the boats.
Lots of kids, all pretty well behaved, Not much nightlife. A quiet resort.
Had a great Message in spa:)
We had a very nice time and we will return to the Catalonia Playa Maroma. We Rate it #2 on our list. Remember folks, You are in Mexico. Not America. Things are different there. Our American standards are pretty high. The bed you sleep in may not be as comfortable as home. The food you eat may be a little different, They don't have peanut butter, They may move a little slower, but that's Mexico. That's why we go. Hope you give the Catalonia Playa Maroma a try.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Hotel
- Catalonia Playa Maroma Del Carmen
- Playa Maroma
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Playa Maroma is situated in the Mayan Riviera, at only 35 kilometers south of Cancun and 20 kilometers north of Playa del Carmen. Regarding to the Travel Channel, Playa Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches of the world. The typical Mexican decoration with its vibrant colors and palapa roofs surrounded by the native jungle make this resort the perfect place to spend a wonderful vacation. The Mayan World has to offer a lot to its visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Playa Maroma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.