“Paraiso Escondido” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa

You added Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 307, Kilometer 51 | Solidaridad, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
“Paraiso Escondido”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2004

My husband and I just returned from eight glorious days! We travel quite frequently, one of our favorite spots is Mexico, since it's such a quick flight from our home. We decided to try Maroma Resort & Spa. We're sure glad we did. It was absolutely magnificent. From the moment you arrive, the attention to detail and warm hospitality would make for a wonderful stay, even in increment weather conditions. All of the accommodations are superb. The beach is beautiful and private. We sailed with Victor and Javier on a Catamaran for a late afternoon sunset cruise, it was the best. Don't forget to dine under the stars on top of the observatory, the view is magnificent. Our thanks go to Felipe Espinoza, General Manager; Mireya and Alma, hospitality; Ruben, Antonio, Ivonne and all of the dining room staff, since we can't name them all, but all deserve to be recognized. Oh! and last Javier, Victor, and all the snorkeling and diving crew. We will definitely be visiting them real soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2004

Rain, Rain go away. Five days of rain, not the gentle type, but hurricane force weather. June. While this is not the fault of Maroma, I felt they were not equipped to handle the deluge. People were bored, the place was literally flooded. The dinners were overpriced. When we arrived they entry gate did not have our reservation so we had to argued with the gate attentant for a good 20 minutes, we speak no Spanish, before he finally let us pass through. The gym is minimalistic at best. The beach is beautiful, but the hotel is all show and no function. I was really disappointed.

Southern, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2004

We just returned from an eight day stay in Mexico. We stayed the first 4 days at Maroma. The next portion of our stay was at Secrets Capri.
Maroma was beyond words. The beach is the prettiest I have ever seen and we have traveled to Tahiti and beyond. The service was excellent. The entire staff bent over backwards to accommodate the guest. The only beef I have was the food was too prices. Upon our arrival tired and exhausted we ate at the one rest. We had a drink the waiter said was perfect. Yes perfectly expensive. It was called a Bellini. and 4 drinks were over $80. Each day our food bill for the beach was around $60 including 1 drink> We did not like the food choices and the fish appeared frozen instead of fresh. We rented a car and drove into Playa a couple of nights to eat at the Blue Lobster which was great. We also went by cab once and at 20 plus tip each way got to expensive. I would suggest if you want to see the ruins, Playa Del Carmen rent a car at the airport and drive. The roads are great and if you rent in advance you will not have to pay the 80 per day the hotel arranged. We chose to go to Tulum which was about one hour south and easy drive.
Our room was number 10. Beach direct view with a hammock I wish I had at home. The service at this hotel is spectacular but the internet did not work th entire time, but heck that is ok because I did not go to work. The drinks are weak but who cared. All you need is the beach and the atmosphere and that we got. The gift shop prices are lower than anywhere we shopped. I am always hesitant but this time they proved lower. some have commented on the bath room. The huge tub and shower accommodated 2 people. The bed at night makes you fall in love all over again. The staff again is excellent. then we went to secrets capri and nearly died. If I had not paid in advance I would have checked out and fled back to Maroma. If you want a romantic place, a perfect beach, great spa, and seclusion this is thehotel for you. We have never stayed at a place we really wanted to return to, but Maroma will be our yearly retreat from now on. Watch for the travel channels best of week and see Maroma then you will know what we mean.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2004

I am a very cynical 50 year old person in the business of management of a global beauty products company, but.......with my experience........as, I travel all over the world, every week, and have been to every continent and most of the "in" places to go as far as resorts/clubs/restaurants........ The Maroma Resort is the best run hotel/resort I have ever been to, bar none. Stayed for 5 nights in room 7, in the original part of the resort (recommended).

If you are looking to get away and have the stress-less relaxing, no worries holiday, this is the place to go.......just brilliant special place, romantic cocoon like room, homemade natural food, genuine hospitality, excellent rejuvenating spa services, clean white sandy beach, enough activities not to get bored, fast internet access if you have to, smiling and willing hospitality of the staff, convenience of small resort, etc.....don't hesitate to go there.....you will be rewarded with one of the best experiences of you life.......along with you mate's satisfaction.......what a place......paradise defined......cheers

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2004

My family and I have just arrived home after spending 10 days in one of the most fantastic places in the world.From the moment you drive through the gates of maroma,you enter a different world. our ocean front rooms overlooked the best beach i have ever seen.So lay in the hammock and enjoy! Everything around is a joy, the staff are the most friendly and helpful,nothing is too much trouble. the gardens are just amazing,the only one i have seen to compare is the Villa Cimbrone Ravello, in Italy, The older part of the hotel is the place to be. Orient Express have done an amazing job to extend Maroma but it will take a while to gain the lushness of the original building and surroundings. Things that are must dos- Massage on the beach,the Temazecal, a trip with Victor on his boat..Go to Coba (early!) and climb the pyramid.eat dinner on the candlelit beach.and take factor 400 sun oil! I read the reviews on this site before i went and reading them now,im astonished any body could dream of critisizing! Idid see at first hand the kind of people who do complain, and would suggest maybe a cruise next time! The only thing to be wary of is to check the bill at the end of your time,the accounting can be as laidback as the place,but is easily resolved by the great staff in Hospitality. My respect and thanks to the staff who will make your stay unforgettable,Just go see!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2004

We just returned from Maroma yesterday and had a fantastic time. We stayed three nights in an ocean front room and though the rate is higher we had a view of ocean and the lush lawn/garden and could enjoy the breeze. It was only a few steps to our palapa so you could go back and forth from the beach if you needed to. We took a snorkeling trip and a "jungle walk" with a guide to explain the plants, animals and local ecosystem. The dinners are expensive in the restaurant but you can also order something from the room service menu and eat on your own lovely patio. Staff was very friendly, room and furnishings are locally constructed and very beautiful. We stayed in the "old" part in Room 3. Certainly not the cheapest place in the area but if you want a small, intimate feel with no crowds and the ability to do nothing if you want, this is your place! We'd definitely recommend it.

Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2004

5 years ago we stayed at the Maroma for 3 nites and it was one of the most wonderful places. Beautiful beach, property and excellent service. After staying there we raved about this place to all our friends saying you must go there. Last May while celebrating my 50th Birthday, although we could not get a reservation for a room at the Maroma for the dates we were in Mexico, my wife wanted to suprise me and have my birthday dinner at the Maroma restaurant. Well, first of all as we entered the grounds I noticed it was a bit more shabby than I had remembered. But I looked past that figuring it was the time and elements of being near the ocean. When we were greeted by the hostess, she said that shorts were not allowed at dinner. NO problem my mistake, so I went to the boutique and purchased some $80 pants (which I will probably never wear again, they looked fine for the Caribbean, not San Francisco Ca). When we sat down for dinner we mentioned to the hostess that it was my 50th Birthday dinner, and we have stayed here before and loved it. but we have about 2hours30 minutes for dinner since we had to pick up my sister in law at the Airport at 830PM. As we were sitting at the table, toasting my birthday, I noticed a couple being seated and the gentleman was wearing SHORTS! I did not want to make a big deal out of it , but I asked the hostess why I was not allowed to wear shorts and he was allowed. Her response was that he was ordering from the lunch menu. I looked at my watch and said it is 6PM, and it looks like he has the same menu we had. So I then asked "why were we not offered the "lunch menu", and why I had to buy $80 pants to have dinner and not him ??" She did not give me any answer. Well after dinner, which was expensive and not very special as it was 5 years ago, we asked for the check knowing we had a few more minutes before we had to go to the airport. It took a long time to get the check, so I left to bring the car around to the restaurant while my wife paid. I was still waiting. My wife finally got to the car and I asked her what took so long. She said they overcharged her by about $200.00 and she had to straighten it out. I felt so bad for my poor wife who really wanted to make it a special dinner for me, but we were treated so poorly it was one of the most insulting dinners we ever had. We were lied to, and as I figure it overcharged about $280.00 We have been to many to restaurants and hotels in Europe, Caribbean, Hawaii, and other places in the US. Not to mention we live in the SF Bay area, which we have our share of top restaurants and hotels. And we have also been to simple hamburger joints and "mom & pop" taquerias, but we have never been treated so poorly. And to top it off, I wrote a letter to the Maroma to tell them of my experience. They have never even responed!!!! I know this place sometimes gets mentioned in the "Best Beaches /Best Resorts" lists in travel magazines and on the Travel Channel. BUT unfortunately if they continue their slide in service I think their days are numbered for any "Best" list. For the prices they charge, especially for Mexico, you would think they could hire or train for better service. We will continue to tell our friends about this place, but now we will tell them you must NOT go!!!!

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!