“Items Stolen from Room” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa

You added Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 307, Kilometer 51 | Solidaridad, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Detroit, Michigan
“Items Stolen from Room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at the Maroma for five nights in December of 2011. It took me so long to write this review because the experience was so awful that I couldn't even stomach writing a review until now.

I had several big issues with this resort. The first was that both my Ipod and expensive sunglasses were stolen from my room on my last night at the resort. I left the property to have dinner in Playa Del Carmen, and when I returned my Ipod and sunglasses were gone. The Ipod had been charging in the Ipod dock in the room and the sunglasses were nearby on the counter. The resort is small so the staff are very well aware of which guests are off the property leaving their rooms empty. I brought the theft to the attention of the manager and he checked with the cleaning staff on duty. No dice. He said it was the first time anything has been stolen from the property in the entire 30-year history of the hotel. I find that very hard to be true. It was a good lesson to me that even if you are staying at a resort that bills itself as "ultra luxury" you can still have items stolen from your room. It also taught me to put absolutely anything I don't want to lose into the safe. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security there.

My other (smaller) gripe with this resort is regarding dinner at the in-house restaurant. I was ok with paying $34 for a small piece of fish - you are isolated at this resort so they get away with usurious food prices - but my companion and I were surprised to see an $11 charge for tap water that had not been ordered. We brought this to the attention of the waiter and he removed it from the bill. Not sure how many other guests are aware of this charge.

Breakfast was another issue. I ate at a different time from my companion and it was interesting that 3 out of the 4 times I had breakfast I was literally ignored after I was seated and had to go up to the hostess to request coffee. I distinctly felt like a woman sitting alone was invisible to the staff. It was strange.

I cannot recommend this resort. Rooms are blah, your belongings are not safe, the food is just ok, and the beach is the same beach you'd get at any other resort in the Rivera Maya. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Mr. & Mrs GoBlue,

Dear Thank you for taking the time to share with me and other readers your recent experience while staying in Maroma Resort and Spa, I appreciate your feedback as it provides me with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking. We are concerned about views expressed in a recent Trip Advisor submission, and hope our potential guests will be heartened to know that our resort strives for excellence in all that we do. With this in mind, we wish to respond to specific assertions made in the posting.

Regarding the food, we have the highest standards of quality in products used in the preparation of dishes; it is not our intention to surprise our guests with high prices, prices for all our services are reviewed periodically and are determined based on market studies, ensuring we are in line with the prices offered by our competitors in the destination.

I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction during your stay; I have discussed each of the issues described in your review with my executive team to put immediate attention to those areas involved. I personally have been in the Resort for the past five years and my executive team has been the same one for the past 2 years; we are proud to say that employee rotation is not common in Maroma as our collaborators feel comfortable and happy with their jobs, some of our colleagues have been since the beginning of Maroma (16 years ago).

We have painstakingly revised our files for couples and groups of friends travelling together and have not been able to find any record or your visit in December 2011 or March 2012 as you have confirmed in your post. It brings to my attention that your post confirms having talked to the Manager who declared it was the first time an incident occured in the 30-year history of the hotel. I have been in charge of the Management since 2007, Maroma opened in 1997 and I have no registration of an inconvenience of such a delicate matter. All of this makes me believe you are confusing our hotel with another one perhaps in the same area, as it has happened in the past.

I kindly ask you to please contact me at managingdirector@maromahotel.com in order to personally follow up.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me be clear, we want this piece of paradise to succeed and it's so close to doing so. It is right up our alley - intimately scaled, secluded, exceptional and attentive service, understated, clean and elegant room designs, meandering pathways and landscaping in harmony with the natural surroundings, a perfect beach and romantic candlelight everywhere at night. It even has what I consider a highly valuable, rare and often lost art of a professional bartender in Freddie. In a resort setting, 20 miles from anywhere, having a barman who is as entertaining as he is knowledgeable of his product is a huge asset. If there is a tequila made, he has it, along with an impressively deep wine list and a cigar selection that is kept in perfect condition.
Where it needs help is the food and overall dining experience, and I am surprised that the reviews on here haven't noted it as it's what most of the other guests and I talked about during our stay. Yes it is expensive, but that isn't the main problem. When you are in the middle of the jungle with just a beach, a book and an occasional dip in the ocean, your goals are simple - breakfast, a swim, lunch, a nap, shower, get dressed up, have a drink at the bar and a romantic dinner under the stars. When the meal is the center of of your activity list, it needs to be memorable and here it isn't because the food concept isn't clear and as a result the execution is muddled and often disappointing. Perhaps this is why the best meal of the day is consistently breakfast, which, ironically is included. But, if you are in the Yucatan, a place I've been coming for 25 years, why not embrace its culture and its food instead of trying and missing with modified Mediterranean cuisine? For example, after a series of misses, my fiance ordered the Poussin, thinking simple chicken was a safe bet. It came out lifeless and grey as if it had been boiled. Similarly, a chicken burrito at the bar was so gooey with cream and unrecognizable ingredients we couldn't eat it, and a plate of penne with house made sauce was essentially $22 of flavorless stewed tomatoes strewn over pasta. Yawn. The food of this region is based on the flavors that nature offers. I have had incredible plates of cevice mixto, vibrant with lime juice, cilantro, habenero and sea salt for a mere $8 while sitting in a plastic chair on the beach in Xpuha and also nearby in playa del carmen. Here it's tiny, $17, bland and not a hot pepper to be found. Which brings me to what may be the problem - everything here is geared to not offend. By far our best dinner was the "beach bbq", because it was just grilled local ingredients (it was also $95 pp, not including drinks or the 26% tax and gratuity). We sat down excited, under the stars in the most romantic setting - and then the "band" started, which was essentially two people with a drum machine playing easy listening music looking absolutely bored. It turned a gorgeous, romantic evening under the starts into bingo night at the retirement home. The same thing happened at their festival of taco event; the food looked local and terrific, but it was staged with another wedding band which just turned us off so we passed. This area is filled with musical talent which is fun and entertaining to listen to. We'd rather have the just sound of the ocean than uninspired filler geared to not offend anyone.
Looking around we noticed that the average age of the people here were of retirement age and a few families with small children. If they want to attract a more sophisticated breed of traveler, who spend this kind of money this really needs to change. We hope it does because we want to come back and make it our annual winter escape. Until then, it's a very nice place that wont upset anyone, or inspire them with their food either.

Room Tip: try one of the newly remodeled suites which are clean and gorgeous as an alternative to the ocean vi...
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have visited the top 7 or 8 properties on the Riviera Maya and studied their offerings carefully. I keep returning to Maroma because of 4 attributes that make it unique in that part of the world.

.1. Perfect Size – The resort is small enough to provide guests with privacy and a calm,
relaxing environment but large enough to support an impressive variety of activities, excursions and hospitality. Tell me, would you rather be in a Salsa Dance class with 4 other couples or 14?

.2. The Very Best Location – I know of no other top resort that is completely beachside,
most have the majority of their accommodations inland. The beach couldn’t be more beautiful and they groom it religiously.

.3. Beautifully Designed, Maintained and Updated facilities – Something is new each time
we arrive. The gardens have been enlarged, rooms redecorated, features added. They are
always making it better.

.4. “Welcome Home” – Is how you are greeted when you arrive. This simple phrase reflects the objective of their service culture – to surround you with a staff, including management who genuinely listens to what you need and provides it with attentiveness, generosity and creativity.

Simply stated, Maroma is the best place to enjoy the many pleasures of the Riviera Maya.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My Husband and I picked this hotel by availability, reviews, and ease of flights from NY. We hit the jackpot! We arranged for private transportation from Cancun through the hotel in advance. The driver and hotel represenative were waitng as promised. After a 30 minute drive we arrived at MAroma and was greeted by agentleman and a margarita for a tour of the property and registration. Out luggage was waiting for us in our full ocean view room which was small but well appointed ( but what reserved). The next 8 days were bliss. We enjoyed a couples massage at the spa, went scuba diving with Jose ( on premise dive shop ) who is one of our "many new friends". Marco held bed for us on the most beautiful beach in the world every day. Johnny and Freddy from Freddy's bar were always there with a smile, excellent tequila, water, beer, , or whatever...We also arranged for a private dinner on the beach, ($$$$$) at the last minute decided to change it to the roof due to blowing sand)... surrounded by glowing candles ,warm caribbean breeze with beautiful views, and a meal that was chosen by myself and the head chef made for a perfect evening. Beginning with Breakfast evey morning to dinner every evening...we did not have a bad meal... Truly gained weight but no worries...it was vacation. As far as "off property" we've been to the region before, X-plor is worth a visit. Jose arranged for a centote dive which was incredible. We taxi'd into Play del Carmen for an afternoon ( could've skipped that)
There is a gym( took the week off:()
Great place to disconnect, reconnect, or chill out. We met so many guests that have been to this property and returned- some multiple times. There have to be some negative, right? very few but it wouldn't be a balances review if I didn't mention anything. They promise housekeeping to your room 2x/day, they forgot for 2 days, we called up, FIXED! The pillows were a bit too hard for my liking, and the coffee that was placed outside our room every morning was ransacked by sugar stealing turquoise and black birds, they were kind enough to take only the sugar and did not touch the coffe or newpaper. That's about all of the negative comments I have. note: that if you like tot scuba dive or have interest in getting certified, the reek just off shore (5-10 min boat ride) is the 2nd largest reef in the world and is amazing. I had a few Jaques Cousteau moments. If you like to snorkle, DO IT! so beautiful...
Also, do not go here if you are counting your pennies, it's not inexpensive...It's special and worth the price. We will return, for sure

Room Tip: if you get an ocean view room, be prepared to wake up witht the most beautiful sunrise every morning...
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I have had the good furtune to travel to Maroma many times and just returned recently. It is our favorite beach resort we have ever been to. The staff is fantastic! As you check in you are offered a fruit drink or the famous "Maroma Margarita", given to you by the famous Jose. The rooms are wonderful. You only need to decide your price point and whether or not you want beach or garden. The nightly events are well done and we enjoyed each one we attended. Cantina night, cooking class, tequila tasting, Louis and Chef Don Pablo, all were wonderful. Breakfast each morning is beautiful and served until 11:00am. We love the eggs benedict and the woderful tortillas that Dalhia serves. That is really nice since it was part of our package. The beach and beach services are wonderful with a couple of different treats brought to your beach bed every day. Don't miss an evening cocktail at "Freddy's Bar" before a wonderful meal. If you have to much sun or beach, then head to the famous Kinan Spa! We have had the couples chocolate massages before. Awesome! Also there are 2 cozy pools to relax by. There is a decent fitness center, which is new and a very nice shop on property. To me Maroma is about it's people, the staff and the feeling of family. Everything else is the cherry on top of a magnificent sundae!

Room Tip: All the rooms on the north side are very quiet. There is a large all inclusive that borders the sout...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

There are so many wonderful aspects of this place that it is hard to know where to begin. From the moment you arrive you can tell that Maroma is a special place. The staff is there to greet you by name and hand you a delicious Maroma Margarita to start your vacation. The property is so unique and beautiful, impeccably maintained and thoughtfully arranged. Not too big and not too small, Maroma gets it just right. The hospitality staff immediately puts you at ease and takes you on a tour of the grounds while your bags are whisked up to your room. Once again, its hard to describe how fabulous this property is. The beach is gorgeous - as beautiful as any we have been to in Turks & Caicos or other Caribbean island destinations. The sand is as soft and white as those in Destin and parts of northern Florida and the water is a spectacular blue. The rooms are beautiful, and well-maintained, and of course the staff decorates the beds each night in rose petal and leaf designs that are really creative and special. The restaurants are terrific, with great food, great drinks and great service. If you dont see something you want on the menu, just ask your waiter and they will try to make something for you, but with plenty of delicious things to choose from on the menus, i doubt you will have any trouble. As I said already, the rooms, the grounds, the pools and the beach are spectacular, but what truly sets the Maroma apart is the staff and the level of service. Every employee we encountered was happy, smiling and genuinely interested in ensuring that you every need is met and that the resort is exceeding your expectations. And I can assure you they will! They go out of their way to leave you notes each night with helpful information about upcoming activities, such as the Super Bowl party or Grill Night, as well as to as about other ways they can make your stay their special. I dont think I have been to a hotel or resort that gets it as right as the Maroma. I recommend this resort as highly as possible - perfect for any special occasion with your spouse or for the most relaxing vacation imaginable. We enjoyed every aspect of the Maroma, with the hotel staff making it a truly distinctive vacation experience. We will be returning to the Maroma next year, and (like so many others we met) may have finally found the Caribbean vacation destination we return to year after year. Perfecto!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have been to Maroma 5 times in the past 10 years or so, with our first trip being before it became an Orient-Express hotel. The first time we visited, it was a small, simple and very special place. Orient Express has maintained all of the best parts of the original Maroma and improved it to a point where it is quite possibly the best beach hotel in North America, including all of the Carribean and Mexico. The beach is nothing short of spectacular. The service is the best I have encountered anywhere. The food is absolutely excellent and seems to get better with each visit. Finally, we have stayed in almost every room category from garden rooms (not recommended) to the the one bedroom ocean front suites (used to be called the Sian Nah suites but looks like they may have changed the name). Honestly, the ocean front one bedroom suites are very nice (get one on the second floor) but they are really not necessary here. Given the spectactular beach and views, all you need to make sure is that you get a room with an ocean view. One thing to note, the rooms are not fancy and do not have TVs etc, but the simplicity is what gives them their charm. Overall, Maroma is just a very special place, with wonderful staff, wonderful food and a beautiful beach. It is not to be missed.

Room Tip: Anything that is ocean front (avoid garden rooms)
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!