“Magical place on a pristine beach. First class everything.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 307, Kilometer 51 | Solidaridad, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
25% Off Suites - Book Now
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Playa Maroma
Los Angeles
“Magical place on a pristine beach. First class everything.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I were lounging on the beach on a lovely 2-person cabana when one of the wait staff surprised us with cold fresh fruit. An hour later he was back with ice cream. The scene was unreal - too perfect to believe. The sand is as fine as powdered sugar. The water is clean and deep blue. Turning away from the beach, we headed back to our villa and enjoyed the heated plunge pool... The room is stunning: indoor and outdoor showers, enormous bathtub, seating area looking out to the ocean. I don't think I want to leave! This resort is truly magical. The drive from the main road take a couple of minutes, and during that drive we entered an oasis. Marona is first class and every detail is perfect. The food is excellent, though I would like more traditional Mexican food on the menu. "Tia" makes homemade corn tortillas and quesadillas at breakfast. You will need a nap after eating breakfast here! If you have not stayed at an Orient Express property, this is a really great one to try.

Room Tip: The villas are incredible. I have not seen any other rooms but imagine that any room would be fabulo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

758 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was the fourth visit to Maroma, for my wife and I, and i must say it was incredible! When you arrive you immediately feel like you have been transformed into a peaceful paradise away from all the worlds worries and stress.The hotel grounds are impeccably well maintained. The room was kept spotless throughout our stay.It had an elegant rustic authentic Mexican feel to it The beach sand was powdery white and clean. The water was crystal clear.It is no doubt the most beautiful boutique hotel that we have ever stayed at, and we will always rate Maroma on the top in our book.If you like a quiet, elegant without being snobbish boutique hotel,there is none better.But lets get to the real reason it was outstanding.The employees of Maroma Resort. There is a pride and a passion at Maroma that I could see in every employee. They were happy to assist in any way shape or form, and did it with a genuine desire to please. The chef Juan Pablo Loza has created a culinary program that is excellent in every way. He is extremely talented, passionate and innovative as evidenced by every meal that we ate.The foods are all about Mexican flavors and ingredients and traditions. Every meal was presented by a well trained staff who were able to give you a little history of the ingredients and the origin (region) etc. of the particular dish. By far the best meals we have ever experienced at any of the more than 30 Caribbean resort hotels we have stayed at.Breakfast was an extravaganza of freshness and variety. You should go just for that experience alone.There was a different dinner theme every night. Waitstaff, members Moses,Alfonso, Miguel and all of the rest were outstanding! Alejandro and Hector at the beach service were totally "on it". The Maroma airport drivers were great. I could go on and on.
Smiles,pleasantness and excellence in every way are the keywords for Maroma Resort and Spa. We have been travelling the Caribbean for 35 years. Believe me, if you choose Maroma you wont be sorry, but you will be back!

Room Tip: We had room #12. Third floor great ocean views, quiet and spacious.I don't think there is a bad...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This resort is such a breath of fresh air among the gaudy and ostentatious resorts of Riviera Maya. No, it does not have a 100' tall entrance. No, it does not have thousands of rooms, and no, it is not all-inclusive. So if that's what you want, the beautiful and tasteful understate gate on highway will disappoint you. But if quality and service is what you are after, then you've hit the jackpot.

We spent a week at Maroma for our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived everyone knew who we were, and made us feel absolutely special. The staff is extremely attentive without hovering and crowding you. The beach crew constantly rakes and sweeps the beach so it is always perfect. The spa is an outdoor sprawly complex and it is one of the most spectacular spas we have even been too (we've been to a lot!).

Our room (#20) was spacious and quite comfortable. Great mattress, and fabulous products. The closet was teeny, and no real storage though. I would swap out the desk for an armoire, if I were Maroma.

Now a couple of needs-improvement things:

1) Their drinks are really not that good! The bar tenders need to take a mixology class!
2) Guests leave one item on the beach beds to "hold" them, and don't show up for hours to enjoy the beach. Meanwhile there are other guests who would like to enjoy the beach but can not get a bed because of all the empty beds with an item on them. They really need to address this problem.
3) People are allowed to smoke on the property. The guest across our room would sit in front of our door and smoke, and put out her buds in the planter next to our room. We asked twice that they talk to her, and I think they did, but nothing changed. The property needs to be a non-smoking property. Period.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Last month I had my wedding at Maroma Resort and Spa. It was nothing short of spectacular! The rustic beauty of the resort, the incredible beach, amazing food and the most accommodating staff made for an absolutely amazing wedding and vacation! I've traveled to my fair share of resorts around the world and nothing quite compares to Maroma. Their attention to detail and top notch service set them apart from the rest.

My wedding coordinator, Beatriz was as sweet as can be and an absolute pleasure to work with. She made the planning process so easy and kept me calm along the way. When it came to the wedding weekend she was on call the entire time and made sure that nothing fell short of perfect. I couldn't imagine a more perfect setting and wedding thanks to Bety and the rest of the staff at Maroma. We are already planning our next stay there!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Positive: This is a lovely private, low key, exclusive resort......less than a 100 rooms, beautiful grounds, natural setting..... blends in with the native landscape. None of that Disneyland/ Las Vegas/ Palm Springs/Hawaii over the top luxury theme-park look which I hate. And no golf course, just natural vegetation which for me is a plus.
Very nice Mexican staff, highly professional..... the first-name use did not bother me as it did another reviewer, and my family loved the complimentary treats delivered on the beach.....fruit, gaspacho and ice cream offered by the beach waiters. In fact they could have come more often!

Great place to unwind and relax, and I am happy to report there are many nice families with kids over Christmas and New Year, but the resort was always quiet, respectful and laid back.
The beach is beautiful, lots of sand, warm water.....just the right amount of waves so you could bodysurf, but never dangerous, providing you can swim reasonably well.

Downside: a fair amount of wind, so you get the sand blowing in your face when your lying on the beach.....think Lawrence of Arabia or operation desert storm. We were there for 11 days, and only a few days without wind which were truly glorious.
Sun goes down quite early and the beach is oriented so that by 3 pm, there is no more sun on the beach.
Other negative:.(maybe becuase of the wind).....there's a fair amount of plastic and rubbish, that occasionally shows up in the sea or on the beach, which takes away from the feeling of being in Paradise.

BIGGEST NEGATIVE: the hotel has fabulous queen-size sunbeds, but needs a policy for these!
We were a family of 4 who stayed for 11 days with 2 rooms.....which does not come cheap in a place like this.......nevertheless, we would arrive to the beach early in the morning and find that all the sunbeds had already been "reserved".......Guests would leave their sandals or a magazines on top, and then show up (may-be) around 2 pm......
This is inexcusable for a small, luxury hotel of this category and really marred an otherwise relaxing vacation.

Restaurant: Breakfast which is complimentary is the best meal.....A special mention to the Mexican lady who makes fresh corn tortillas every morning....this adds a very personal touch to the hotel....the Quesadillas are out of this world.

The outdoor restaurant patio is lovely but otherwise the food is ok, and very expenisve.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The moment you drive through the private gates to this super private and casually elegant resort, you know that you have arrived in a special place. The mile long driveway through the palm trees and mangrove forests puts you into the perfect mental state for an unforgettable experience. You'll love the margarita that is handed to you when you walk through the doors. The attentive staff is well trained and really interested in making your stay an enjoyable memory.

If you intend to see any of the area, you should rent a car at the airport. You will be glad that you have the flexibility to visit some of the Maya ruins and some of the wonderful restaurants in Playa del Carmen which is about 10 miles south.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

There are many wonderful, even spectacular, features to this hotel, but "paradiso" it is not. We go to Hawaii and South East Asia regularly and there you find paradise - if you choose the right hotel.

That being said, the sugar white beach with the most wonderful blue canvas beds we have ever found (see pictures) make your days lounging at the beach a remarkable delight. In all our travels we have never found such a comfortable and luxurious beach experience.Also, the view from our ocean front room was positively dreamy, and margaritas were the best we have EVER tasted.

On the less positive side, our room was quite small and the bath drain did not drain. All the rose petals scattered around each night did not make up for the fact that repeated attempts to get it fixed did not work. We ended up standing in ankle deep soapy water whenever we showered. Lots of smiles, and "Oh, so sorry" comments aside, they didn't get it to drain until our last day there.

Most annoying, however, was the hovering by the staff at lunch and the "ceremony of getting to know us by our first names". We were asked repeatedly by different wait staff what our names were. The first day when I attempted to say, "Mrs. ___", I was told, "Oh, no, I must have your first name so we can be friendly. Deliver me! My husband and I were in Cancun for a long weekend to reconnect and decompress from our hectic lives. Were not there to be chatted up by a zillion people wanting to make friends. A zillion is an exaggeration. At one lunch we counted 11 different times we were interrupted - being asked our names, wanting to know if everything was going well, whether we liked the weather, whether we liked the food. We smiled and were polite. What we really wanted to say was, "PLEASE, LEAVE US IN PEACE!...and, by the way, where is our lunch?"

The "harassment" continued on the beach. Just try to read a book when you are interrupted regularly to be offered various treats. Again, we smiled politely and said "No thank you" each time. About eight offerings , someone came by with ice cream. He did not take "No thank you" for an answer. He wanted to know "Why not?" Both my husband and I lived in Mexico as young adults and this reminded us of the vendors who never left you alone on the beaches in Acapulco. While all the treats offered here were gratis, the interruption was just as irritating. Maybe a "Do not disturb" sign for each lounge chair would be a good idea.

This hotel needs to rethink its approach to guests. At the Aman resorts you almost never see the staff. Somehow they keep an eye on you and when you need something, it (or someone) appears. That, in our minds, is paradise.

Room Tip: Each room is a different size so it is hard to tell what you will get in each category. We got a gre...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Madison,

We truly appreciate for you taking the time to share your feedback with me and our Tripadvisor readers concerning your recent experience in Maroma Resort and Spa.

I exhort and appreciate the comments from our guests as it nourishes me with important information that allows us to enhance our product and improve our service with continuous assessment.

Being in charge of the General Management of Maroma Resort and Spa, I personally looked into your feedback about the drain in your room as this is not a standard procedure, much less our idea of providing an upscale service, following up on this comment with our maintenance Manager, as well as with our F & B staff so as to review our service approach with our guests.

I only hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve.

Kind Regards,

Federico Echaiz
Managing Director

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!