“Outstanding hotel - highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa

You added Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 307, Kilometer 51 | Solidaridad, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up To $200 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersGold level
Bristol
“Outstanding hotel - highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We read the reviews and based our decision that this was no 1. I have to say it is true what an excellent hotel, superb service, all al a carte food with lots of choice, cocktails were not your cheap variety bit but amazing including corona beer in cans or on tap.. So much choice. The pool is great, sea amazing, beach has such soft white sand. I normally stay 5 star out of choice as I want to enjoy my stay and this is up there as one of the best. If I had give constructive feedback it would be that the numerous mainly American weddings sometimes have load music for a couple of hours by the pool but most people like this. The wedding locations and those on the beach are very romantic. We stayed preferred club and I wold recommend the extra as the spa is complimentary and you do get other benefits but that depends on the budget. We flew virgin and it was also a great flight which was on time both ways. The final tip was that there is no real push for timeshare but they give you some dollars but you probably won't spend them. We took 2 bottles of champagne and had to bring it back. Hot tip. Make sure you are in your weight luggage allowance coming back as they are a bit draconian. All the hotel staff are very friendly. If you do not like the excitable American may be Mexico is not for you.

Room Tip: Preferred club with bath on the balcony. Very relaxing and private. The double jacuzzi bath inside i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our second visit to the Maroma and we are already planning our third. From the moment you are greeted at the front door upon your arrival until you leave, the staff works tirelessly to ensure that your stay is memorable and stress-free. While the beach is spectacular, and the setting unforgettable, it is the staff that makes Maroma shine. They are friendly, efficient and make every effort to accomodate their guests. It is impressive that after a a day or two they know your name and greet you personally.

The cuisine is world class; we enjoyed several special dinners and each one was exquisitely prepared, and creatively designed. Don't miss the jungle dinner or the cooking class. Great fun! The spa is beautifully designed and the range of treatments impressive.

There is no better way to start the day than breakfast on the beach each morning, with Dalia's hand-made tortillas as a special treat.

One of the most relaxing beach vacations in the Caribbean. Go. You'll be enchanted.

Salida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent 5 wonderful days at this wonderful hotel. It is difficult to decide where to start in my desire to share our experience. We are life long hoteliers, possibly not your typical guests.

First of all the staff. Honestly natural beauty, superb location and a terrific physical plant are not unique to Maroma. This resort is blessed with all three but they created something that is truly special...a superb team committed to making you the guest feel welcome. Actually better than that feel part of the Maroma family. We arrived a bit early so we had the pleasure of enjoying a walk around the property and a beverage at Freddy's. Manuel was absolutely amazing. First of all he welcomed us to Maroma. He explained that we were not simply guests but family. He then expressed a phrase that we are very familiar with, "Mi Casa es su Casa." Having managed hotels in Santa Fe, NM, we appreciated the symbolic nature of that phase, including its heart centeredness. And we felt it. Every morning we waited for his heartfelt buenos dias, and disappointed when he was off for two days of our stay. He was just one team member that worked to make our stay special. It is impossible to express accurately how many times the team knew who we were and why we had come. We truly felt among family. A hotel's reputation is created by the excellence in food and beverage and the team. In this race this resort is a gold medal winner.

In my entire hotel career and lifetime of travel I can honestly say I do not remember leaving and remembering breakfast. This resort strives for the impossible... make breakfast memorable. They achieve it in a sensational manner. From the baked goods, jugo del dia, yogurt, especialities, chocolate and of course the tortillas (We named her "mama de las tortillas). I imagined her heading home at night the happiest person on earth. She is appreciated and paid for doing something she probably did for her family for years. I am sure she pinches herself daily. We had planned to enjoy breakfast in our room on our beautiful balcony overlooking the sea. That was not to be, every morning we took a long walk on the beach then enjoyed breakfast with our friends, the hotel's team.

The special touches with the nightly housekeeping service made us smile with surprise on arrival and with anticipation each subsequent night. This hotel is the perfect place for rest and romance.
The Leadership has created a superb team and a marvelous experience. Truly one of the finest hotel experiences on earth. We can not wait to return. The beach beds are more comfortable that most hotel beds.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I selected Maroma due to its size, its reputation for quality and a personable staff, the availability of direct flights, and its proximity to a fine beach.

Our 4-day, 3-night stay took place earlier this month. Our room was an oceanfront suite.

Noteworthy plusses:
• Our suite had large windows offering panoramic views of the beach and Caribbean.
• The room, furnishings and amenities were high quality, comfortable and anticipated most, if not all, of our needs.
• The staff members with whom we interacted were friendly and cordial. It is their custom to engage in conversations on a first-name basis. This relaxed exchange was accompanied by exceptional service. Members of the hotel management team seemed ever-present and vigilant to our needs, as were just about all members of the staff.
• It is obvious that great care is given to the selection and preparation of the food offered in the hotel’s restaurants. The chef (whose experience includes postings at some of the finest resorts in North America) positively influenced the preparation of even the most basis dishes. The wine list was perfectly satisfactory, if a little pricey, yet we were able to find delicious bottles even among the more reasonably priced options.
Noteworthy minuses:
• The consistency of housekeeping during our stay was a little spotty. Nothing serious, but it was noticeable. Once notified, management took appropriate remedial action.
• The resort is nestled into a lush, verdant environment. Some of the creatures sharing the space are invited (parrots, butterflies, small anteater-like animals, iguana) and others are not so welcome (mosquitoes and ants). The resort seems to do a good job balancing the requirement to be good stewards of the land while, at the same time, doing what they can to keep the pests at bay.

All in all, we were suitably impressed on this, our initial visit. We are already planning for a return trip in the near future.

J&B

Encinitas, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

From the moment, I arrived on the land, I could feel something extraordinary! The land itself felt blessed and I could feel it's peaceful and healing energy enter into me. As I was shown around the property, and told stories of the culture and saw the love the staff had for this place, I was touched again by it's commitment to authenticity. All the while, my eyes were drawn to the amazing turquoise ocean and white sand beach that hugs this property. I later learned the beach was voted one of the top three in the world.

Feeling relaxation pour into me, I bathed it in and could feel its magic transforming me. I went first to my huge, beautiful room. Flower petals created artwork on my bed and in this moment, the feeling of being treated like a king was reinforced. Walking the property, everyone already knew my name, and welcomed me with smiles of kindness. From my room, I sat in my personal hammock and enjoyed the amazing views of the ocean from my private balcony. I unpacked to the sounds of the ocean and then headed to the spa for a massage.

At Kinan Spa, I was treated like a king again. Relaxing in the steam room, and doing a cold plunge, i prepared myself for my massage. But I was completely unprepared for what might have been the best massage I have ever had. Not only did Carmen massage out areas of tension in my body, but her hands massaged me from her heart and I felt the love she put into every movement. If you were to come to Maroma for only KInan Spa, it would be worth it.

If you came here only for the food, it would be worth it. If you came only for the turquoise ocean and powdery sand white beaches, it would be worth it. But when you come here, you receive it ALL.

Each experience I had was unforgettable. The service was unbelievable, THE FOOD, every meal was more exceptional the the one before and that one was exceptional too, the long walks along the gorgeous beach, the warm beautiful oceans water, the ability to CREATE my own experience, Freddy's tequila bar with 135 different tequilas. Nothing here is a cookie cutter experience and to have whatever you desire, all you need to do is ask.

My time at Maroma was filled with unforgettable experiences. If you have the good fortune to be one of the ones to come to this amazing place, you too will be filled with unforgettable moments.
I know I will come back to this place over and over again, because not only did it relax my body, it soothed my soul, and touched my heart.

Thank you to the land of Maroma, to the staff who are the worthy custodians of this powerful and amazing energy and to the kindness that will forever live within me as a result of my stay.

Thank you Maroma. I felt blessed to have been there !!!! And I will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just when you think you know what great customer service and luxury is, along comes Maroma and raises the bar! Well done and thank you for an unforgettable holiday. The premises are amazing and the people even more so. Nothing we needed was more than a question away and all the restaurants were amazing

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Dave,
Thank you for such an enthusiastic review! I am delighted we managed to exceed your expectations. Hopefully we can do so again in the future.
Kind Regards,
Federico Echaiz
Managing Director
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Maroma Resort is an undeniable treasure on the Riviera Maya. From our arrival, a nine day stay, and departure, all of our experiences with the resort and staff were five stars. Our well-appointed room and private balcony loomed over the white sand and turquoise water, and the sound of the surf was only wonderfully and gently interrupted by the native fauna in the nearby jungle. Due to a staff that incredibly knew us by name throughout, we often felt as though we were the only guests on their agenda. The grounds are immaculate, and in the evening, you can stroll candlelit walkways throughout the resort. The authentic food at all restaurants was fantastically prepared and presented. We decided to rent a car, but would not do so again, as should you ever wish to leave the resort, local transportation is readily available. The transfer and taxi rates may seem steep at first, but pales when compared to car rental plus insurance/liability coverages. The wifi service in our room and throughout the resort was excellent. We would recommend the Temezcal experience, it was transcending. The complimentary sauna and steam facilities in the spa are worth a daily visit. As runners, the fitness facilities were modern and adequate. The beach is good for a barefoot jog, and extends for a considerable (miles long) distance, much of which is bordered only by the natural habitat. As one might expect from a world class resort, the high cost for some of the amenities is a bit of a surprise, but the overall value considering the completely magical experience you will enjoy at Maroma is excellent and we would highly recommend this resort to all who cherish privacy, service, relaxation, and authentic luxury.

Room Tip: Recommend upper (second) floor with ocean view.
Dear Paul,
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend us to anyone seeking an authentic Mayan experience in complete luxury. Many Thanks for sharing your comments and we look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards,
Federico Echaiz
Managing Director

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!