“Another great stay at the Maroma” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 307, Kilometer 51 | Solidaridad, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% Off Suites - Book Now
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Playa Maroma
Rhode Island
“Another great stay at the Maroma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our second visit to the Maroma and we are already planning our third. From the moment you are greeted at the front door upon your arrival until you leave, the staff works tirelessly to ensure that your stay is memorable and stress-free. While the beach is spectacular, and the setting unforgettable, it is the staff that makes Maroma shine. They are friendly, efficient and make every effort to accomodate their guests. It is impressive that after a a day or two they know your name and greet you personally.

The cuisine is world class; we enjoyed several special dinners and each one was exquisitely prepared, and creatively designed. Don't miss the jungle dinner or the cooking class. Great fun! The spa is beautifully designed and the range of treatments impressive.

There is no better way to start the day than breakfast on the beach each morning, with Dalia's hand-made tortillas as a special treat.

One of the most relaxing beach vacations in the Caribbean. Go. You'll be enchanted.

755 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Salida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent 5 wonderful days at this wonderful hotel. It is difficult to decide where to start in my desire to share our experience. We are life long hoteliers, possibly not your typical guests.

First of all the staff. Honestly natural beauty, superb location and a terrific physical plant are not unique to Maroma. This resort is blessed with all three but they created something that is truly special...a superb team committed to making you the guest feel welcome. Actually better than that feel part of the Maroma family. We arrived a bit early so we had the pleasure of enjoying a walk around the property and a beverage at Freddy's. Manuel was absolutely amazing. First of all he welcomed us to Maroma. He explained that we were not simply guests but family. He then expressed a phrase that we are very familiar with, "Mi Casa es su Casa." Having managed hotels in Santa Fe, NM, we appreciated the symbolic nature of that phase, including its heart centeredness. And we felt it. Every morning we waited for his heartfelt buenos dias, and disappointed when he was off for two days of our stay. He was just one team member that worked to make our stay special. It is impossible to express accurately how many times the team knew who we were and why we had come. We truly felt among family. A hotel's reputation is created by the excellence in food and beverage and the team. In this race this resort is a gold medal winner.

In my entire hotel career and lifetime of travel I can honestly say I do not remember leaving and remembering breakfast. This resort strives for the impossible... make breakfast memorable. They achieve it in a sensational manner. From the baked goods, jugo del dia, yogurt, especialities, chocolate and of course the tortillas (We named her "mama de las tortillas). I imagined her heading home at night the happiest person on earth. She is appreciated and paid for doing something she probably did for her family for years. I am sure she pinches herself daily. We had planned to enjoy breakfast in our room on our beautiful balcony overlooking the sea. That was not to be, every morning we took a long walk on the beach then enjoyed breakfast with our friends, the hotel's team.

The special touches with the nightly housekeeping service made us smile with surprise on arrival and with anticipation each subsequent night. This hotel is the perfect place for rest and romance.
The Leadership has created a superb team and a marvelous experience. Truly one of the finest hotel experiences on earth. We can not wait to return. The beach beds are more comfortable that most hotel beds.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I selected Maroma due to its size, its reputation for quality and a personable staff, the availability of direct flights, and its proximity to a fine beach.

Our 4-day, 3-night stay took place earlier this month. Our room was an oceanfront suite.

Noteworthy plusses:
• Our suite had large windows offering panoramic views of the beach and Caribbean.
• The room, furnishings and amenities were high quality, comfortable and anticipated most, if not all, of our needs.
• The staff members with whom we interacted were friendly and cordial. It is their custom to engage in conversations on a first-name basis. This relaxed exchange was accompanied by exceptional service. Members of the hotel management team seemed ever-present and vigilant to our needs, as were just about all members of the staff.
• It is obvious that great care is given to the selection and preparation of the food offered in the hotel’s restaurants. The chef (whose experience includes postings at some of the finest resorts in North America) positively influenced the preparation of even the most basis dishes. The wine list was perfectly satisfactory, if a little pricey, yet we were able to find delicious bottles even among the more reasonably priced options.
Noteworthy minuses:
• The consistency of housekeeping during our stay was a little spotty. Nothing serious, but it was noticeable. Once notified, management took appropriate remedial action.
• The resort is nestled into a lush, verdant environment. Some of the creatures sharing the space are invited (parrots, butterflies, small anteater-like animals, iguana) and others are not so welcome (mosquitoes and ants). The resort seems to do a good job balancing the requirement to be good stewards of the land while, at the same time, doing what they can to keep the pests at bay.

All in all, we were suitably impressed on this, our initial visit. We are already planning for a return trip in the near future.

J&B

Encinitas, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

From the moment, I arrived on the land, I could feel something extraordinary! The land itself felt blessed and I could feel it's peaceful and healing energy enter into me. As I was shown around the property, and told stories of the culture and saw the love the staff had for this place, I was touched again by it's commitment to authenticity. All the while, my eyes were drawn to the amazing turquoise ocean and white sand beach that hugs this property. I later learned the beach was voted one of the top three in the world.

Feeling relaxation pour into me, I bathed it in and could feel its magic transforming me. I went first to my huge, beautiful room. Flower petals created artwork on my bed and in this moment, the feeling of being treated like a king was reinforced. Walking the property, everyone already knew my name, and welcomed me with smiles of kindness. From my room, I sat in my personal hammock and enjoyed the amazing views of the ocean from my private balcony. I unpacked to the sounds of the ocean and then headed to the spa for a massage.

At Kinan Spa, I was treated like a king again. Relaxing in the steam room, and doing a cold plunge, i prepared myself for my massage. But I was completely unprepared for what might have been the best massage I have ever had. Not only did Carmen massage out areas of tension in my body, but her hands massaged me from her heart and I felt the love she put into every movement. If you were to come to Maroma for only KInan Spa, it would be worth it.

If you came here only for the food, it would be worth it. If you came only for the turquoise ocean and powdery sand white beaches, it would be worth it. But when you come here, you receive it ALL.

Each experience I had was unforgettable. The service was unbelievable, THE FOOD, every meal was more exceptional the the one before and that one was exceptional too, the long walks along the gorgeous beach, the warm beautiful oceans water, the ability to CREATE my own experience, Freddy's tequila bar with 135 different tequilas. Nothing here is a cookie cutter experience and to have whatever you desire, all you need to do is ask.

My time at Maroma was filled with unforgettable experiences. If you have the good fortune to be one of the ones to come to this amazing place, you too will be filled with unforgettable moments.
I know I will come back to this place over and over again, because not only did it relax my body, it soothed my soul, and touched my heart.

Thank you to the land of Maroma, to the staff who are the worthy custodians of this powerful and amazing energy and to the kindness that will forever live within me as a result of my stay.

Thank you Maroma. I felt blessed to have been there !!!! And I will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just when you think you know what great customer service and luxury is, along comes Maroma and raises the bar! Well done and thank you for an unforgettable holiday. The premises are amazing and the people even more so. Nothing we needed was more than a question away and all the restaurants were amazing

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Dave,
Thank you for such an enthusiastic review! I am delighted we managed to exceed your expectations. Hopefully we can do so again in the future.
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Maroma Resort is an undeniable treasure on the Riviera Maya. From our arrival, a nine day stay, and departure, all of our experiences with the resort and staff were five stars. Our well-appointed room and private balcony loomed over the white sand and turquoise water, and the sound of the surf was only wonderfully and gently interrupted by the native fauna in the nearby jungle. Due to a staff that incredibly knew us by name throughout, we often felt as though we were the only guests on their agenda. The grounds are immaculate, and in the evening, you can stroll candlelit walkways throughout the resort. The authentic food at all restaurants was fantastically prepared and presented. We decided to rent a car, but would not do so again, as should you ever wish to leave the resort, local transportation is readily available. The transfer and taxi rates may seem steep at first, but pales when compared to car rental plus insurance/liability coverages. The wifi service in our room and throughout the resort was excellent. We would recommend the Temezcal experience, it was transcending. The complimentary sauna and steam facilities in the spa are worth a daily visit. As runners, the fitness facilities were modern and adequate. The beach is good for a barefoot jog, and extends for a considerable (miles long) distance, much of which is bordered only by the natural habitat. As one might expect from a world class resort, the high cost for some of the amenities is a bit of a surprise, but the overall value considering the completely magical experience you will enjoy at Maroma is excellent and we would highly recommend this resort to all who cherish privacy, service, relaxation, and authentic luxury.

Room Tip: Recommend upper (second) floor with ocean view.
Dear Paul,
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend us to anyone seeking an authentic Mayan experience in complete luxury. Many Thanks for sharing your comments and we look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been to Mexico many times - in the Cancun and Riviera Maya areas at different resorts - but absolutely nothing compares to this undiscovered paradise on Maroma bay. This is luxury and quality at its finest...and with that comes an appropriate price tag. Many who have reviewed Maroma Resort and Spa have acknowledged that while it is truly wonderful, it is unbelievably expensive. This was my main concern when we decided to go here - after also considering the Viceroy, Mayakoba resorts, and the Royal. While prices are indeed high - they are no higher than any 5 star resort you would find in the US. The outstanding quality of the food here is something I have NEVER experienced in Mexico. And the service and surreal beauty of the grounds are worth every penny in my opinion. I will give some examples of pricing - and hopefully that will help everyone make their own decision. But you definetly have to be prepared to spend money. We were, and so we could relax and really enjoy the astounding beauty of this place.

Arrival: We rented a car for about $15/day and drove the 35-40 min straight down the Rt 307 which the resort is located right off of. They do not have a specific sign, but when you see the sign for Priveleged Beach/Secrets Maroma....turn there. There is free valet parking at the resort. Although we rented a car, thinking we would go into Playa del Carmen...which is about 9 km away and approx $25 cab ride one way....we never left this paradise for a minute. Renting a car is a great option if you want to save some money on transfers to/from the airport, as well as getting into town - and it could not have been easier.

Once on the grounds, they greeted us with a Maroma Marguerita (yum!) and took us on a tour of the grounds, and explained the restaurants, etc. Bags were delivered immediately to our beautiful ocean view suite and we were on the beach about an hour after we landed in Cancun airport.

Room: We had booked an ocean view suite with a deal they were having on-line. It was amazing! A wonderfully comfortable bed draped in mosquito netting and with bouganvilla petals scattered on it....looked directly out onto the ocean. We watched the sunrise and the moonlight on the water right from bed. The room had AC but we never used it once....the ocean breeze was fantastic. We also had a sitting area with radio/ipod player (which came in handy since we forgot our iphone charger) and a balcony with 2 chairs and small table where we enjoyed our morning coffee. You choose what you would like (tea, hot chocolate, or coffee) and what time you would like it delivered, along with a USA today (free, or other papers for a cost) They leave it discreetly outside the door and don't knock in case you sleep in. The coffee service and breakfast (which was awesome!) are included in the room price.
Also found in the room are umbrellas, rain parkas, and Off bug spray for mosquitos. Luckily we didn't need any of them, but nice that it was available. Everytime I come to Mexico I usually come home with a million mosquito bites, despite the resorts spraying toxic chemicals in the air at night. Here, in paradise, I seriously never saw a mosquito. Not one. AND they never sprayed anything in the air. Only lit tea light sized candles in the rooms.
Maid service was twice a day - and we would come back from dinner to a beautiful candleabra lit with real candles to greet us. Beautiful.

Beach:
Here is the real crowning gem of the resort. It is absolutely stunning. Maroma bay itself is gorgeous and the resort is right on the best part of the sands. Gorgeous white sand with plenty of space to not worry about high tide. There are no resorts to the left for as far as you can see. To the right is Secrets Maroma - but when we were there, it seemed empty and was never a problem. The beach seaweed is cleaned up every morning and there are plenty of beach loungers and chairs for everyone. The beach service is wonderful - very attentive and you can order lunch dleivered right to your spot. They also come around at random times with complementary fresh apples, a small glass of ice cream, frozen grapes, etc. When we took a walk I was amazed at how much space along the beach the resort has....for just 65 rooms/suites. Which is probably why we felt like it was almost a private resort for just us.

Dining: In response to the complaints about menu prices, Maroma now has a "Dining plan" which is $80/pp per day. You can eat at any of the restaurants and it includes a 3 course meal at both lunch and dinner. It does not include drinks. We opted to do this and felt much less restricted about what to order. To get this quality of food back home, we would have easily spent $160 on just dinner alone, so for us, this made sense. In terms of pricing, lunch appetizers were around $10 and entrees were $15-25 approx. Dinner was slightly more....apps and salads around $15 and entrees $25-40. Drinks were about $12-15 for mixed drinks, wine was around $9/glass and I can't remember for beer. The drink menu itself was very impressive and creative--even a beet martini! It also had an extensive list of tequila from which Freddy (at Freddy's bar) would give tasting flights.
There are 3 restaurant options: El Restaurante (brkfast, lunch and dinner) El Sol (dinner only---mediterranean tapas and entrees) and Freddy's bar (ceviche, salads, lunch items) We tried them all and enjoyed Freddy's for casual lunch and the best ceviche I have ever had. Oh - and the lobster tacos!!! For dinner, El Sol was nice, but we enjoyed the menu better at El Restaurante. Excellent tortilla soup and fish entrees. Additionally, you can dine out on the patio which is right on the beach - or inside. We had the entire patio to ourselves one night....with the moon shining on the water, it was perfect. A sommelier was on hand to assist with wine choices and was very knowledgeable.
If dining with only a few other tables is not private enough, there is the option for a very romantic private dinner on the beach. The set up is gorgeous....lanterns light the path to a table for 2, bonfire afterwards,etc. However practically speaking, you are sitting right in front of El Restaurante (so the whole restaurant is watching you have your private dinner - though it is dark) and it is very windy on the beach. Cool idea, but with almost every table feeling like a private dining experience, I doubt it is worth the money. We did meet a couple who had dinner up in the Mirador tower and worked with the chef to create their own menu - which did sound pretty amazing.
There are also theme nights for $80/pp extra which includes one beverage. They had a taco night near the pool, and a beach barbeque. I can't eat $80 worth of tacos, so we skipped those.
There was also a night of tequila and local beer tasting along with a traditional Mexican dinner at La Cantina on Saturdays. Freddy is in charge of this - and we really wanted to go, but had already booked a massage at the same time.
The amount of different dining options for a such a small resort is really astounding - you will not be disappointed.

Spa/Gym: Wow! It is so beautiful and surreal...especially walking back at night when every pathway is lit up by tiny candles lining the walk. We really splurged here and had 2 massages - the Deep Tissue and the couples Hot Healing Poultice. Deep tissue was good, but the Hot Healing Poultice was amazing! Artemis was my massouse - and though she is small she has incredible strength. My boyfriend's massouse was Bruce and for 90 minutes we were massaged into a totally relaxed pulp. My boyfriend is always unhappy with massages because the pressure is never strong enough for him--but could not get over how great a job Bruce did! We were both very impressed. At $245 per person, it was pricey, but worth the splurge. They have a very extensive list of treatments in all price ranges. I think the Deep Tissue was an hour for $135 - which is in line with many places. They have a sauna and steam room, but interestingly no hot tub - which I really like before a massage. I think that is my only negative of the whole trip.

They also offer free yoga classes at 9am and 5pm. I meant to get to one of them and unfortunately other activities prevented this. We did do a Mayan Boot camp one morning with Arturo--wow did he make our thighs burn. Squats on the beach, burpies, etc. It was very challenging, but great! This was also complementary. The gym had other classes for an additional fee.

Other activities: We did go on the snorkeling trip that is included in the room cost. Our guide was able to point out an octopus and some other sea life - but it was very rough the day we went out, so for me, it wasn't very enjoyable. Under different conditions, it would have been great. The reef is said to be the second largest in the world.

Conclusion: We spent only 4 days in this little paradise - and left feeling so relaxed and rested it is unbelievable. Yes, it is a splurge, but every penny was worth it for us. The staff all know your name and go out of their way to help you with anything and everything. For this level of luxury, I will never consider going anywhere else. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad room - but the ocean view suite was fantastic.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MaromaResortandSpa, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear ciaobella6375,

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic and incredibly detailed response! We have shared it among our staff and in particular passed your kind words on to the spa staff mentioned. We are delighted that you had such a great time here and managed to fit so much into four days, and as you know there are plenty more new things to do next time around! Hopefully this proves very useful for potential visitors as your review will have answered many questions that they may have and helped them allay possible fears over pricing. We are glad that you concur that are prices are appropriate and represent value for money. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Managing Director

Been to Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!