“wonderful place to relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum Km 55.3 | Maroma beach, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
Boone, North Carolina
“wonderful place to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was our second time at El Dorado Maroma. The service is excellent, the beach is beautiful (although not designed for swimming), and the food is very good. If you are looking for a small place to relax and be waited on hand and foot in peace and quiet, this is the place.

If you want to swim, you might need to walk down the beach a little as the artificial reef they are building to protect the beach area has created a less than ideal swimming area.

I see that others commented on room break-ins... We have not had any issues either time we stayed there. We did take advantage of the in-room safe just in case.

Room Tip: Book a Mi Hotelito room and ask for the first floor. Your patio area leads right out onto the pool...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

You couldn't pay me to come back to this place. The rudeness of the staff, the lack of security, the room break-ins, the terrible smells on the beach, the poor infrastructure. That is just to start.

The entry and road to the resort made you wonder if this place was complete. It's under construction. No offer of a cool beverage of any sort on arrival. They were offered to other couples. Instead of 'Welcome!' - I got - 'we need your credit card for an incidentals hold.' It's nice to be here too. Others in my group were not asked for their credit cards (here for a wedding), I guess it was just the person who checked me in. Also, wi-fi is not free. I have an international plan on my cell carrier, so this didn't bother me much.

I was taken to my room swiftly, only to notice, it wasn't the room I reserved. When I brought this up, I was offered another room at the Generations for a higher price. This seems to be a trend here. Pay for one room, get whatever is available, ask for what you paid for, you get a bill. I didn't take the other room as it was not at the adults only area, and a room way too large for me. So I stuck with what I was given. A room with a view of the top of a kitchen and a construction site. Paradise - RIGHT!!!

Later in the evening while out on my balcony, I got stuck. There was no handle to get back into the room. I had to call for help over the balcony.

The next morning while in the shower, some random man comes into my room. Not room service, not management, some guy in a polo shirt and jeans. He sees me looking at him and he runs out. I then realize my room has no night lock. I kindly call the front desk to report the incident - the lady tells me "Oh you are the one looking for a new room, there isn't one." I go on to explain to her that my room is un-secure, and I am then put on an eternity of a hold. Being that I am at the beach, I hang up, pack my bags, and get dressed for the beach. I take my travel documents and valuables with me. I head to the front desk to drop off my room key and safe lock, and re-explain the situation. I let the staff know I will be back later in the afternoon to get a new room and my bags are at the door. I secure my things in a friends room, and carry on about my day. We eat and enjoy lunch at Pepitos. The service was nice. The view was lovely. The tequila tastings - fantastic! Service here was spot-on!

The smell of the ocean made you want to stop eating.

There is something going on where the water and seaweed get caught up in a lagoon between the sand bar, the new construction, and the marina. This causes a seaweed buildup, and stagnant water. All adding up to a terrible smell. Many guests asked about the smell. All the time.

After lunch, I go to get my new room keys. The staff is clueless. "Did you call?" Yes. "Are you checking out?" No. "Who did you give your keys to?" That gentlemen right there. I continue to explain there is no night lock on the room, even a friend explains. The resorts response? We can move you to a room next door for an extra $186 a night. Le sigh. I will not pay for my safety. That should not be an arguable amenity. The reservations manager must have heard what was going on, as she came over and quickly dissolved the situation. I was still moved next door, but the room had a lock. Thank you! Now, don't expect for your fridge/mini bar to be stocked at any time.

The resort/building next door has no front desk staff. Like, ever. The only way to get in and out of this building is the front door - meaning the only way to anywhere else on the resort it to walk down a road/alleyway. The staff entrance is closer to everything. The water in this building is inconsistent. Plenty of showers outside since the water inside was cold.

The food is not 5 star, by far. On the day of the wedding, we sat down for lunch at the Italian place. We order. We wait. We wait. We wait. Our drinks kept coming, but no food. When I asked a manager about our food, we got partial food delivered (pizza with un-melted cheese, incomplete orders, etc). I had to leave or I was going to be late for the wedding. Another item about the food and restaurants here. They say they don't do reservations, but they do. On an evening dining with my group of friends in a restaurant, in the middle of dining, some of us were asked to move so that they could accommodate a group with a reservation. Huh? One person complied. When the group sat down, they asked to be moved since this wasn't even the restaurant they asked to eat at. Shame. The liquor is not top shelf. Not even the beer.

My package came with spa credits and wine bottles. They tried to charge me for one wine bottle, and quoted me one price over the phone for a massage, and billed me for another in person once the service was complete. This resort tries to get you for every little nickel. "Was that a sneeze I heard?" $50.

The struggle here is real y'all.

There is so much construction it is hard to find any sort of a view from any room. There are so few rooms with any view whatsoever. The rooms up on the beach are probably great for the eyes, but horrible for the nose (remember, the water smells).

The pool is cold. Since not much sun gets to the water. There are a lot of palm trees. This means the pool is FREEZING before the sun goes down. The pool is however, a nice size for the resort.

One evening my friends and I decided to head to downtown Playa del Carmen. Before we could leave we had to have our pictures taken. I was NOT pleased about this at all. I kicked up quite a stink. When we returned, the security guard was asleep at the gate. Once we woke him out of his slumber, he told us WE had to wait to get on the resort. But I PAID to stay here. It wasn't until after some of the party started to walk down the crocodile infested 1.5 mile long road were the gates opened. Just disrespectful on SO many levels. You're sleep, so we have to wait AFTER you wake up?

Another issue with security, they followed us EVERYWHERE. We even started to make a game out of it. They weren't even discreet. It was laughable.

The upsides? The rooms were clean. Hugo was the best person you could ask for to be at a resort. He gets it. He really really does. The room service was usually pretty good, just slow. I got a bad order of french toast once - and some cold stuff, but when I requested for a re-make, it made it swiftly. There is one gentleman who works late in the call center who was an absolute delight! He even called me back to offer additional items that weren't listed as available. Ahhh - a bright spot.

Overall, I would not recommend this resort, nor would I return here. There are several other true all-inclusive resorts close by that are not under construction. If you have been to another resort in the past, you would easily be able to tell the difference. Much improvement is needed.

Room Tip: Best tip for a great room is another resort. No matter what room you request, you will be placed wh...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I read the review by Manastacio, and I echo that review entirely. My biggest disappointment with EDM was the artificial bay. I don't mind that they are trying to protect their beach with the obstructions in the water--they should. What I do mind is that the bay used to be a beautiful blue. Well, it was stinky and smelly and the reason is that EDM is building Bora Bora type suites on the water, which is good for them.

Unfortunately, this will last for about a year (from what I was told). However, I never would have stayed at this hotel while the bay stinks the way it does. I agree with Manastacio that the reason to go to the beach is to be able to go into the water. In four glorious days, we never went into the water in front of EDM--we had to go elsewhere. And this is too bad bc we loved the place otherwise, to the friendly staff to the extremely clean facilities to the food (and for the reviewer who said there were small portions, order two!). We did not like the overpriced spa--even LaBlanc (cancun) or Four Seasons (Maui) doesn't charge as much as they want for my wife's pedicure, which she pointed out to me--or having to pay what EDM wanted us to pay for Internet, which should be included at the prices we paid.

In the final analysis, this is a temporary 3 star hotel until the issue with the bay is, literally, cleaned up.

Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We are a married couple with no children. We have been going to the Karisma resorts for about 2 years now as timeshare members and we have loved all of them. This one is our FAVORITE so far. The beach is beautiful, the staff very friendly, and the grounds are lovely. We stayed in the hotelitas and we loved it. It is one room with plenty of closet space, and large bathroom and a balcony with an ocean view. The food was definitely gourmet. If you like a small, intimate all inclusive this is the place for you.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Laura M.,

Thank you very much for having stayed at El Dorado Maroma and for your preference to Karisma Resorts. We feel very honored that you consider us as your favorite one!

I´m very glad you had a great stay with us and that ou enjoyed of the intimacy of this beautiful resort.

We hope to have the chance to host you again soon!

Houston, Tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My sister got married at this hotel so the whole family stayed and my wife and I were excited because of the great reviews. Unfortunately, our experience was one of the worst we've ever had and we don't think we'll ever stay at an all-inclusive again.
When we first arrived, it took about 30 minutes to even check in. They told us they upgraded us but once we got to our room, we actually realized they downgraded us from a suite to a normal room. They claimed it was a beach front view so it was an upgrade. It was a "huge trees blocking any kind of view" room though. We decided to go have lunch right after by the pool. Not only was the food mediocre, but the red wine my wife ordered was very hot. When we told them about the wine, instead of apologizing and getting a new one, they told us it's just because they store the wine outside at the pool bar. Any "gourmet" resort should know better than that.
The day of the wedding, we went out for lunch and got back to the hotel around 2 to take a nap before we had to get ready. When we got back, our room still wasn't cleaned so we asked if they would clean it while we sat by the pool so we could at least start getting ready by 4. We got back to the room at 4 and it still wasn't cleaned - after they promised they would. This was irritating since we didn't have time to wait any longer since the wedding was at 5. We also knew they had been in our room at some point for something because they left a packet of paper on our dresser that had everyone's personal information who was staying at the hotel. That's right. We had full names, room numbers, phone numbers, etc... Talk about lack of security.
The best part is that when we got back to our room after the wedding, we had rose petals everywhere, a towel swan on our bed, and champagne to basically apologize for all that had happened. But it was so late and we were so tired that we didn't even want any of that.
A 20% discount off our rooms was decent compensation, but nothing could really give us back all the headaches and stress we incurred staying at this hotel. We will never be back and we won't recommend this place to friends. The only reason I give it 2 stars is because the property is beautiful and the staff was very nice. They just need to learn how to properly run a hotel if you're going to pay that much for the trip.

Stayed August 2014
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I traveled to El Dorado Maroma for a wedding last month and felt very disappointed with the trip as a whole. We were very excited to be heading to the Riviera Maya for a wedding and decided to spend the extra money on the Infinity Pool Suite. When we arrived, we were told we had been "upgraded" to a suite on the lazy river. When we booked the trip the rooms on the lazy river cost significantly less than the infinity pool rooms. On top of that, we specifically did not want to be on the lazy river because they provide no privacy. After giving us a difficult time about the room, they finally said they would move us to the suite we requested, although we had to wait 2 hours for that room to be ready. Turns out, many people in the group ended up in rooms they did not request. Once we got into the room- the room itself was fantastic. It was very clean and comfortable and the cleaning staff did a wonderful job having the room cleaned every day. The noise was not bad considering we were overlooking the main pool. However, our air conditioner never worked properly and the room was VERY hot. It was finally fixed our last night.

I did very much enjoy the food everywhere we went. Papitos has a nice breakfast and lunch menu and the wait staff was very attentive. We ate at the fancy Mexican restaurant one night and while the food was excellent, the portion sizes were VERY small. I think we all ended up ordered two entrees just to fill up.

The pools and beach are very clean and were fun to hang by and they offered all sorts of options for activities in and off the resort. We went deep sea fishing one day and had a nice time. Also, they did a wonderful job with the wedding. Everything was beautiful and very well run.

My main issue came when one evening at 10 pm my husband went back to the room to get a cigar and found a maintenance man in our room. The hotel gave us NO warning that someone would be entering our room at 10 at night. We complained to the manager and she said they were trying to fix a lamp cord and did not want to disturb us. When we explained that it was unacceptable for someone to enter our room that late at night they refused to apologize and kept explaining there policy to fix things before they became a problem. When we mentioned we had complained about the air conditioning on day 1 they did not have an answer. After about 45 minutes they finally offered us complimentary massages but we had the wedding that afternoon and were leaving the next day. I just do not find it acceptable that this happened. I am thankful it is my husband who walked in on him and not me.

This was my first experience at an all inclusive in the Riviera Maya and based on all the reviews and the steep price, I expected alot more from this resort. I will not be visiting El Dorado Maroma again in the future.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Kate S.,

I would like to thank you for the opportunity you gave us to be part of your vacations.

it is disappointing to read that you rated your experiences as average and we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion, I appreciate your comments and you can be sure that we will take care of them.

I apologize for the bad points and I hope to have another chance in the future to show you the improvements.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Traveled here with my adult family (4 couples). From arrival at the airport and transferred in Lincoln navigators to check-in and tour of the property everything was seamless and smooth. I have traveled many places and this staff is by far one of the most friendly and detailed oriented staffs I have ever come across. They not only remember your name, but they also remember your drink order, where you are from...the list could go on and on.

The activities staff Amy, Vicky, Alfonso, Camacho, and Adan were awesome. Played volleyball everyday, bingo, did some kayaking also. They were friendly and made the days a lot of fun.

Oscar at Papitos was great, as was everyone there (can't remember everyone's name).

Daniel at the spa was wonderful. We did a couples massage on the beach and it was great. He came by everyday on the beach and was genuinely such a nice man. Always so happy and friendly and not pushy like some spa people at other resorts. He definitely stood out to me.

Our beach butlers Kenneth and Karen were equally as great. They were always there to help us with anything and everything. Nothing was out of the question and they were both great people and always had a big smile on their face.

Luis from Lomas travel set up some horseback riding and scuba trips for some of my group. The trips were great and the staff at Maroma adventures dive shop were class acts. Great dives and safe and top of the line.

The liquor is top shelf...just name your liquor and it will be poured in the drink. I am not the biggest fans of all inclusive's, but this one hit it out of the park. The food everywhere we went was great. The Asian restaurant was our favorite, but they were all good. Late night room service of chicken quesadilla was amazing. Even if they don't have something for you on the menu they will make anything you could want. Just ask!

We will most definitely be back!!! I highly recommend this resort!!

Dear Ryan B.,

I´m glad you enjoyed your stay at El Dorado Maroma, for us it has been a pleasure to host you and your family on this getaway trip.

Thank you for your preference and for all your comments, we hope to see you all very soon!

Kindest regards,

Alejandro López

Been to El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma? Share your experiences!