“Greatest Vacation getaway ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum Km 55.3 | Maroma beach, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
“Greatest Vacation getaway ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, private and perfect; service and personnel so friendly and helpful. Best beaches, pools, gardens and the restaurants and room service were way above First Class! A wonderful vacation all inclusive and hope to return some day soon !

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have just returned from two weeks of heaven at a fabulous Boutique style hotel. The location is stunning. The beach of soft white sand was incredible. I believe there are only around 99 suites. So the resort is small and quite intimate. You get to know the staff and they you very quickly. And what wonderful staff they are. To name but a few, Oscar, Fernando, Pedro, and Jose.
All the staff were so friendly and extremely nice. The food superb in all the restaurants. The grounds were gorgeous, filled with tropical birds galore! Pelicans, Frigate birds, Osprey and red faced Vultures were daily visitors.
We thoroughly enjoyed every moment and will definitely return. Truly fabulous.

Room Tip: We had a lower priced room, number 215 which was in the most fantastic location. On the first floor...
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The staff at Maroma was what made this place great. Every person we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. We just fell in love with the hostess Brisa at Papito's, the beachfront restaurant. Her cheerful and energetic greetings at each breakfast started the day off right, and our daily waiter Oscar was funny and very helpful.

Food: We enjoyed the food. We thought the Asian and Mexican restaurants were too pretentious, serving fancy little plates instead of just good food. The food was good, but they were trying to too hard to be fancy. The Italian restaurant had many good options including the ossobucco, several of the pasta dishes and the risotto. Our favorite was Papitos, breakfast was ALWAYS great, and each day they had a themed lunch, Boutique Burger, Taco Bar, Fish Market, BBQ, Spanish Paella and The Prime Rib. And we were never disappointed, especially on Fish Market day when there were 2 whole fresh grouper layout out and the cut your serving off the fish and grilled it for you - pretty nice! At Nite Papitos served nice filet's, ribeyes, and other cuts of meat with potatoes and other sides.

Heads up, the desserts at this restaurant are no good at all.

Our room was beautiful, spacious, and like the rest of the resort, very clean.

The pools were great, and due to the size of the place, lounge chairs were always available, but the pools were a little cold for my taste.

Beach was also fantastic - clean, great sand and ocean.

This is a small, very quiet, adult only hotel. When i say quiet, I mean quiet, so if you are looking for a truly restful getaway experience, I recommend Maroma.

Saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have been travelling to All Inclusive Resorts for about 14 years & have stayed &/or toured many resorts. Partly due to my career background in libraries...I have a passion for research!! When booking our All Inclusive Resorts, it is half the fun researching for our trips! Over one & a half years ago, I became a Travel Agent. I am a huge fan & connoisseur of the All Inclusive Resorts! I have to say, I do love the all inclusive concept! But,now that I‘ve been to so many, I know a great one from a mediocre one and yes, they do vary. The El Dorado Maroma, I have to say, is over the top great!!
We stayed at the EDM Beachfront Resort from Feb. 11 for 12 nights. We arrived to a bell boy providing us with a refreshing cool, moist towels & a glass of champagne… it was a great start to a perfect vacation. My husband and I booked a swim-up suite. It was a first time, for us, to have this type of suite. Wow, it was fantastic! The suite was #301 & situated so we had a perfect view of the ocean and easy access to the beach. The suite was so large, with a full sofa, a loveseat, table & 2 chairs, King size canopy bed, a side table w/chair & big mirror. The bathroom had a oversized Jacuzzi tub, 2 sinks, toilet in a separate room, a big shower stall that opened up to the outdoor shower!! Loved it! Last year, I did a site inspection of other accommodations at EDM & they were all lovely! So lovely that I decided to take our personal vacation at this resort. This year I did a site tour of the Villas and all I can say is “amazing”!!
Resort – this is a small, upscale resort, with 101 suites, 4 restaurants, 3 bars, a small gym, 2 pools, a small store. I love the intimate size of this place, but yet, the resort is spaced out nicely, for privacy, too!
Beach – this is the best beach on the Riviera Maya - Playa Maroma!!! This is my idea of the perfect beach, with white, talcum powder-like sand, shallow & easy to walk into the ocean, with very calm waters & is located on a protected beach area - great for swimming & snorkeling. The beach has been mentioned on the web, as one of the top beaches in the world. I can see why! Lots of beach beds for shade and many loungers.
Staff – I have never been treated as well as by the staff at the EDM! This is the best staff, ever. They are all so friendly and very accommodating. They all go out of there way to say hi and make you feel so welcome here!
Restaurants – At El Dorado Maroma, they have the gourmet inclusive plan. For those of you who think you’re not the “gourmet” type, you may want to re-think it. We have stayed twice at El Dorado Seaside, with the Gourmet Inclusive plan, & it was amazing. At the EDM, it was no different, but even better, I must say!! Starting with breakfast – we always ate at Papitos, the oceanfront restaurant. What a great variety of breakfast foods, with awesome service to go with! The staff was so welcoming, from Brisa, the sweet & polite hostess to every single waiter, cook, food prep. & of course the wonderful Yvette, the mgr. Lunch was either at Papitos, or the Italian. You can’t go wrong with either choice…both are outstanding for variety, quality and service!! Again, staff was so accommodating. For dinner, you could eat at the Italian, Asian and Mexican. Wow, what great food choice and quality & the service was so fantastic! We enjoyed each restaurant, as they all had great food with exceptional service!
General comments - I want to thank all the hard working, kind & friendly staff at El Dorado Maroma. I wish I could name you all, but, here are just a few: Genaro - maitre de, Paul - Italian restaurant, Gaby - waitress/pool bar, Javier - Papitos/Italian restaurant, Jona - Papitos, Rene - bartender, Camacho - entertainment, Josue - waiter, Luis - Lomas, Eduardo - beverage & food manager, Ignacio - GM.
Please keep up the good work! I will tell my clients, friends & family about EDM!
Until next time...thank you so much!!!

Room Tip: Swim Up Suite
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We just returned from a very short two nights at EDM. Overall, we had a great time and would definitely return. I’ll break up the review into a few categories.

ROOM:
We arrived at the hotel to find that our room category (Honeymoon Suite) was located nearby some construction, so we were offered a room in the “Generations” property next door. We agreed to the room after being assured that there were no kids currently staying on property and were given a HUGE two room suite with two full baths which overlooked the Generations pool. I’m not sure why, but there were indeed no kids on property during our stay…actually, there was not much of anyone on the Generations side! (In fact, there was hardly ever anyone staffing the reception area, which seemed a bit odd.) So unfortunately I can’t really comment on the rooms on the adult side of the resort, but I can say that our room in the Generations side was great.

PROPERTY:
The property is small, quiet and generally seemed well-kept. Very pretty landscaping along all the pathways. It’s true that you don’t get the grand first impressions that you get from the impressive lobbies of some of the other AIs, but that’s not particularly important to us. I was under the impression that the Generations resort was “next door” to EDM (like with some separation), but really it’s all one property (with two different reception areas and just a gate with an “adults only” sign to designate where the property changes from Generations to EDM). The pools are nice and each has a swim-up bar. You can definitely notice areas where updates are needed…for example, some of the outsides of the buildings are looking a bit old and weathered. Again, I really wish I’d seen the inside of the rooms at EDM so I’d know whether those were showing their age as well. Not sure where to include this, but I do think WiFi should be included with the price of the hotel and not $15 per day extra.

ATMOSPHERE:
Being such a small resort, I really think the atmosphere depends a bit on the crowd that’s there during your stay. When we first arrived, I felt like we were among the youngest people there (we’re in our 30s), and it was mostly couples. It was VERY quiet around the beach and pool and especially in the evenings. We like quiet, but it was borderline TOO quiet! On our last day we noticed more groups arriving (maybe for a wedding?) and it seemed to make the atmosphere a bit more lively!

BEACH:
Amazing. Clear water and you could walk out forever and it was still shallow and calm. Powdery soft sand that never got hot. We saw a few different types of fish, and we saw someone find a starfish. Yes, the marina is next door, but we didn’t find that to be a negative. It was nice to watch the boats coming and going and we weren’t bothered by the noise. There are plenty of loungers on the beach, but be prepared to get up EARLY if you want a beach bed. They were all claimed before 7:30 each morning that we were there. But you don’t need a bed to enjoy the beach. I’ve traveled to Mexico 15+ times and this beach was my favorite.

FOOD:
Breakfast was great, especially the buffet at Papito’s. Good variety, everything was fresh and tasted delicious, and it’s awesome to get to enjoy breakfast and a mimosa while overlooking that beautiful beach. We were there for lunch for two days and ate at Papito’s both times. (Again, can’t beat a meal with that view!) The restaurant offers a different theme for lunch each day…one day the feature was fish (salmon was excellent) and the next day was burgers (a whole list of different kinds). These features were in addition to the standard buffet fare…honestly, I could have made a meal out of just the chips, pico, and guacamole. So delicious. As for dinner, we had one good meal and one okay meal. Good meal was at the Italian restaurant (risotto was great). Okay meal was at the Mexican restaurant. I ordered a poblano stuffed with seafood and the seafood inside was cold. Everything else we ordered at that meal was okay, but definitely not “gourmet”.

SERVICE:
Overall, it was great, with a few misses. Check-in and check-out were very quick. The restaurant hostesses were always very friendly and asked whether anyone in your party had food allergies, which I thought was nice. Service at the restaurants was good, and the beach servers were attentive as well. Housekeeping staff did a great job on our room. We were never approached about a time share. We did inform the reception staff upon arrival that we were celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary, and nothing was done to recognize that during our stay…which is totally not a huge deal, but would’ve been nice. The safe in our room was broken, and after calling twice (and waiting 45 minutes after each call), we just gave up and carried our cash, passports, etc. with us everywhere we went (seriously, through the buffet lines, for walks on the beach, everything). This was pretty inconvenient but we don’t travel with many valuables and we were only there for two days, so we didn’t want to spend another minute waiting around for maintenance to come fix the safe. We wanted to be on that beautiful beach!

BOOKING:
I usually book trips myself through Funjet or through the hotel itself, but as we were splitting our stay this trip between two resorts I enlisted the help of a travel agent. Mitch from tripguy.com arranged everything right down to private transportation between the two resorts and it all went off without a hitch. It was nice to not have to worry about any of those details myself.

OVERALL:
We’d go back for the beautiful beach and friendly service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ignacio l, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the staff working at EDM I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to serve you.

I am glad that you had an excellent experience with us. Thank you very much for sharing this experience with others.

As you said our staff is very friendly, beach amazing, maids, servers, and everybody is working with the only commitment of make your stay unforgetable.

Regarding your comments, opinions and suggestions I have taken note and shared all the information with my team in order to use it to keep improving.

Thank you very mcuh for your confidence and support.
Please let us know when you come back.

Ignacio Lazaro
Hinsdale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I don't think I've stayed at another resort where the staff seemed so genuinely happy to serve you and make you feel at home. This is a quiet resort and wouldn't appeal to everyone if you're looking for lots of activities, pools and entertainment. The entertainment offered was very good considering the size of the resort. Overall the resort was extremely relaxing and laid back but that might not appeal to everyone.

The resort never felt crowded although the end of our stay it seemed a little more crowded than it did in the beginning. The beach is beautiful with the whitest, softest sand I've seen in a long time. The only downside about the water off the beach is there seemed to be some sewage smell from the neighboring area on the other side of the pier. It wasn't the El Dorados area but I really don't like the smell of sewage when I'm swimming in the ocean. If you went beyond the sand bar there was no smell.

The rooms were nice and clean and the infinity pool on the balcony was a first for us and it was bigger than we expected. I found this a fun feature. While there wasn't a good view of the ocean but I'm ok with this since when you're at the beach you don't have a towering hotel behind you which is a plus to me. More comfortable lounge chairs on the patio/balcony would be good because they aren't easy to get out of. We were always able to get a cabana somewhere which was nice and pretty private.

I thought the food was good and I'm from the Chicago area and we have many excellent restaurants. Was it as gourmet as a $200.00 restaurant? Well no it wasn't, but the food was good and inventive enough to be interesting and not boring and the quality was good. I had only one dish I couldn't eat which was some dried out fish but other than that everything was good everything else was well prepared and delicious. I liked the smaller portions served because most restaurants serve too much and you can't eat it all anyway. If we were still hungry we could always order more but never felt we needed to order two entrees. I didn't miss the mediocre buffet food you get at some resorts. There didn't seem to be too many issues with getting a seat for any meal. A few restaurants were full at prime time.

The pools aren't huge but that is because it's a smaller resort so it didn't come as a surprise to us. If you are wanting a large diverse resort this one wouldn't be for you but as far as the staff all I can say is anyone that feels they are getting bad service at this resort must not be happy anywhere.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ignacio l, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear guest,

I really appreciate your very kind comments regarding your stay with us. I shared your words with our staff.

I am very glad your experience was nothing but excellent and unforgettabe and you enjoyed the beach, room, pool, activities, etc.

Thank you very much also for share your experience with other travelers.

We hope you will choose us again for your next vacation.

Warm regards,

Igancio Lazaro
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Many reviews have already pointed this out, but for the money this place costs, you don't get what you're likely expecting. Will start with the positives - the setting is very nice - beach is clean, resort is well laid-out, rooms are comfortable and servers are exceptionally nice. On the flip side, the service is slow, and the food is close to awful. "Uninspired" would be an understatement. Lack of flavor, lack of creativity. We tried each of the three restaurants for dinner, and none impressed. Lunch and breakfast were better in that fresher, more flavorful options were available. Drink service was mediocre, but the drinks themselves were fine if weak. If you're drinking beer, get ready to order a lot of them because the glasses are quite small. If you're drinking cocktails, order doubles if you want a buzz, or get ready to drink a lot of juice. If you're ordering wine, by all means, stay away from the house red!
Overall, given the cost of this resort, we expected more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for your recent review, I'm truly very sorry for what seems to have been a disappointed stay. It is very disheartening to hear that , despite our efforts , we were unable to fulfill expectation and for this we apologize.

your feedback has been given careful consideration and will be used construtively.

Best Regards

Ignacio Lazaro
gm@eldoradomaroma.com

Been to El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma? Share your experiences!