“Nice Hotel but food could be better.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum Km 55.3 | Maroma beach, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
London
“Nice Hotel but food could be better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We've just returned from 10 nights at Eldorado Maroma and overall it is a very good hotel. It's a small hotel compared to some of the giant hotel chains in Riviera Maya which is nice however it is in the middle of nowhere - 45 mins drive from Cancun & 20 mins drive to Playa Car/Playa Del Carmen which are the nearest towns so beware if you like to go shopping etc. A taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen will set you back $30US dollars. The hotel runs a shuttle bus but only twice a week and once you get to Playa Del Carmen you have to spend 5 hours there before you get picked up again and to be honest there isn't enough to do to keep you occupied in Playa Del Carmen for that length of time. We paid extra for a suite with a private pool and a sea view however all the suites are on three floors so if you are unlucky enough to be on the first floor like we were you won't get to see the sea view which you have paid for due to the palm trees. This wasn't a big deal for us but it may not be acceptable to other people especially if they have paid extra for a sea view. If you want to see the sea from your suite you need to be on the third floor. The food really lets this hotel down - the resort has four hotels(technically three as one restaurant is split into Asian & Italian sections) however only three are open for diner and after spending 10 nights there I was bored of eating the same food each night. Breakfast is usually the highlight for me however at this hotel the choice was very limited and the food was below par! The evening menu is what I would call 'confused cuisine' which is neither here or there! I mean the food is perfectly edible but nothing to write home about. The beach/pool cabanas were the highlight and plenty of them so no need to leave your towels on them to reserve them early! The bar staff were regularly doing the rounds and bringing us cocktails which was great. Again the cocktails were so watered down and barely contained any alcohol - full of sugary juice and not at all what I am accustomed to here in the London. Also, watch out for the hotel concierge who will offer you a free candle lit dinner/ couple's massage if you agree to attend a presentation re timeshares (although he will try to convince you that this is not a timeshare but a way of promoting the resort). Mexico has a tipping culture and the staff are on very low wages and really appreciate any tips you give them so take lots of $1 bills with you. The beach is lovely and shallow so you could walk up to the artificial reef or go kayaking. Snorkelling equipment is provided at the resort so no need to take this with you. Overall a great hotel but the food really lets it down.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our family of 6 adults spent a week at El Dorado Maroma in early January and really enjoyed it. My husband and I are not typically all-inclusive type travellers because we have pretty high standards and don’t feel that big resorts can deliver the quality we want. We chose this resort because we wanted an all inclusive so we could just relax and hang out together, without that giant ‘big box’ feel that so many of them have, and it delivered. Our rooms were very comfortable and well appointed (great bathrooms, and LOVED our balcony with pool and outdoor bed!), the resort was immaculate and beautiful day and night. You never had to walk more than 5 minutes to get back to your room, food was quite good (some misses, but really what you would get in a decent restaurant in Canada), drinks were excellent (their house wines are actually good!), it was easy to access everything (no crowds, no lineups). The most impressive thing about this resort, however, and the reason we will go back, was the staff. Everyone is so friendly, they make you feel so comfortable, and the really do wait on you hand and foot. Diego, at the beach, was the highlight of our trip – so personable, so attentive, cracking jokes with everyone from my 69 year old mom to my 18 year old nephew. I hope they know what a gem they have with him. But all the staff - from the restaurant staff, to the maids, to the groundskeepers and entertainment co-ordinators, were wonderful to interact with.

The beach was lovely, you can walk for miles in each direction, the man made reef makes a very gentle swimming area, and there seemed to be some decent snorkelling there too (the winds were unusually strong during our trip so the visibility was obscured). The beach beds and the chairs are ample and comfortable.

Mitch from TripGuy organized our trip for us and I would recommend his services. He was prompt, got us a great price, the type of rooms we requested (we wanted 2 double bed rooms which are apparently not that common there), AND he arranged upgraded transfers with Lomas Travel that were on time, comfortable, and the stretch limo thrilled the group. It was also nice knowing that I had a third party on my side if anything went wrong (which it didn’t it was so smooth and easy). Plus he answered my many many many questions quickly and followed up with us on arrival to make sure things were okay, and also when we got home.

Our family will return here, we would recommend it to friends. Only things they could improve upon was A) you should be able to order at least some snacks on the loungers by the pool or on the beach, B)Wireless sucks and you have to pay for it, C) stop calling some of the “Ocean view” rooms “Ocean view” when all you see is a bunch of palm trees unless you’re on a higher floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you really want to see the ocean
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at El Dorado Maroma! My wife and I were looking to spend our honeymoon at a smaller resort with a setting that was a bit more intamate than what you find at the average all-inclusive in Mexico. We found exactly what we were looking for!

The resort is very secluded. It's a beachfront property that sits close to 2 miles off of the main path. You're entry into the compound begins with an awesome drive through the jungle and it ultimately spits you out right onto the water.

Rooms were great! We had a honeymoon suite right on the water- the best way to wake up in the morning!

Food was great! Because Maroma is a smaller resort, they only have 3 dining facilities (Mexican, Italian, and Japanese). The food was very unique and each place had its own unique Mexican twist on the dishes. My only complaint is the selection of desserts. All 3 places had the same 3 desserts- ice cream, chocolate cake, and cheesecake.

Sevice was by far the greatest part of this trip! Excellent staff who do an excellent job of making you feel welcomed. We enjoyed meeting and interacting with the same staff members each day. We felt like we really got to know a lot about many of them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Overall I would not recommend this specific resort to friends and family. The beach truly was captivating, and we would definitely think about staying at another resort along the Maroma beach. If we did not have the beach, it would have been a terrible experience.
My husband and I had our wedding at Secrets Silversands with over 40 guests and had a wonderful experience. We left Secrets to move to a more intimate and expensive resort to enjoy an upgrade for our honeymoon. We thought since we spent almost a $1500 dollars more, for the same duration, we would be blown away with the rooms and resort. We were sadly and horribly wrong. The room was incredibly smaller and a worst view then our previous resort. It said, "ocean view", and if you crouched down and bent back a few palm trees I guess you could kind of see the ocean. In addition, when we got to our room there was absolutely nothing done to celebrate our honeymoon. We unpacked and realized our honey moon was already off to a rough start, so we went to talk with a manager to see about an upgrade. An upgrade was an additional $600 and they would only give us a small discount. They showed us the upgraded room and it was virtually the equivalent to the room we had at secrets, with a better view. However, in total it was going to cost us a total of $2000 more for the same type of room and the same duration compared to secrets. Throughout the duration of our stay we encountered a couple other small obstacles and the resort continued to do nothing to try and make our experience any better or any type of discount. Then, they had the audacity to invite us to the concierge under the assumption that we could select a candlelight dinner on the beach or a couples massage. Once we got to the concierge we realized the only way to qualify for the dinner or massage was to attend an hour and a half Karisma presentation to become a member to the resorts. We did not attend. We spent our time between the pools and beaches which were very nice and the service staff would wait on you hand and foot. I have nothing bad to say about the bars, food, and service staff. We decided to do an excursion, and the coordinator on site did nothing to discount us since it was our honeymoon. In addition, he said it would be a noon to 4 excursion. We left at noon on time but did not return until almost 6pm. The excursion to the cenotes was amazing and would recommend to anyone who likes caves and exploring!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX - USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at El Dorado and it was hard to leave paradise! Hands down this hotel understands the importance of service. We have traveled extensively and can say that we were completely in awe of the level of service in this resort. My husband has a food allergy and I truly believe every single person working in the resort knew this fact. Speaking of food...it was far above anything we have experienced staying at an all-inclusive. They pride themselves on serving "gourmet" dishes and we loved everything we tried.
Our room was on the 4th floor (honeymoon suite) and it was spacious with a gorgeous view of the ocean. While there are no elevators, I did not mind the climb to our room. If you have any trouble with stairs, they will gladly switch your room to a ground floor though. My favorite part of the room was the outdoor shower...amazing way to start or end the day (it is completely private so no one can see!).
A special shout out to Jonas, our server most of the stay. He is truly one of the sweetest people we have ever met with such a passion for his service and country. If you are lucky enough to meet him, you will understand what I mean!
If you are contemplating staying here....just book it...you won't regret it! And if you have any specific questions, please email me. I am happy to tell you more about our experience! Cheers!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal,quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We are a couple in the 30`s from Montreal. We are exotic members since 2 years an a half and we dont regret our decision. This was our second visit, we were there from december 26th until january 4th.

The resort is small and really relaxing. You feel like your alone on the resort. We wanted a relaxing vacation, and that`s what we got. If you are the type of person that needs entertainment and lot`s of activities.. THIS IS NOT the place for you. This resort is for people who wants to be pampered and not think about anything.. just sitback and enjoy !

The food is a real 5 star, We eat better there than alot of restaurant back in montreal. The Chef really knows his stuff ! The 2 bars are really enough, considering the small resort. They have alot of different drinks to try and discover. The alchool is not watered down...it`s the good stuff.

The beach is the most gorgeous beach we have ever seen.. we went to the bahamas, cuba, jamaica and none compares to this. The sand is so white and feels like powder, the water is cristal clear and no waves at all. There is a marina right beside, and my wife and I loved it.. there is nothing more relaxing than listening to boats moving with the water.

Our room was perfect, nothing to say.. I will keep my room # for me, as we want it back next year :o) LOL .

To finish, the staff makes all the difference, they are professionals and looking at all the little details to please you. We want to thank all the staff for making us feel like home.. We were so sad to leave.. but cant wait to go back. I want to make a special thank to the following employees for their service, personality and for making sure we were never missing anything.

Our Personal Butlers, what Can I say... WOW.. you are the best.. You treated us like royalty and we loved taking the time to chat with you guys, when you had a little 2 minutes...

Heidi
Salvador
Alan
Manuel

I will continue with the room service provided by : Pedro and Antonio.. Really nice and professional. We ordered rooms service every day for our breakfast and they really help to start our day with a smile. Really amazing persons.

Then the restaurants: Your chef Francisco Perez is really great.. took time to talk to us, and the food was really delicious.

The waiters: Fernando, Ulises, Victor, Israel, Ismael, Ruben and Jeremias, Always working with a smile and very passionate with their work. They served us every day with a passion and we had a great time with them all.

And to finish, not to forget Guillermo at the beach, making sure we had everything needed. And Dora at the beach always making sure we were good with our drinks :o). In 9 days she was always there and we never had to get up to go to the bar.. We wanted to, but she was telling us to relax and enjoy.

Also a special mention to Luis @ lomas. We had a great time @ Tulum. And took care of all the little details to make our excursion the best possible.

I really wanted to Thank all the people mentioned in this review. They made us fell like HOME.. THANK YOU !

Cant wait to go back.. This is our favorite resort, and looking fwd to our next vacation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon last week. This is a beautiful hotel with outstanding service but not everything is perfect.

PROS
Location-Beach is perfect, pools are clean and refreshing.
Food-Surprisingly good. The special Mayan night was a winner as was the Japanese restaurant(although they did make their sushi with the wrong type of rice). We are from New York, so we didn't expect much from the Italian, but it was a winner too. Great Osso Bucco. Breakfast is good.
We did the special lobster dinner on the beach and it was worth every penny. BEST service we had all trip. The waiter was great. Very romantic and private.
Rooms-We had a swim up suite. Very spacious. HUGE bathroom. Very nicely appointed. Maid service was good and efficient. Turn down service every night.
Service-Everyone was friendly and always smiling. Great bartenders and very friendly support staff(i.e., maids, cooks, pool/beach attendants)
Entertainment-There isn't a lot of nighttime activities, but that's what we wanted. We went to casino night(fun), the comedy/magician(awesome) and the fire show on the beach(amazing).

CONS
-The pushy "personal concierge" trying to sell us the club and calling our room at 9am(4 times) when we didn't come to the seminar for the Exotic club.
-Not enough servers at busy restaurant times. Service severely lacked at busy times. They remained friendly but very slow and inefficient.
-If you don't get to the beach by 8am you will NOT get a beach bed. That is a fact. People put their stuff down and sometimes don't come back for hours. The beach staff does nothing to stop this. Items left unattended for more than an hour should be put in a lost and found
-Guests, I know the hotel can't control who books a room there, but as an American I was embarrassed of my fellow countrymen. People from outside the northeast do not know how to behave in a foreign country. Disrespectful, rude and classless.
-If you book a tour expect that you will be away for longer than the pamphlet, or salesman, promises. They book the tours with so many people and the guides are not from Lomas so they don't know what time things are supposed to happen. We liked the tour, but expect a LONG day.
-WHEN YOU PAY THIS MUCH FOR A WEEK AT A RESORT THE INTERNET SHOULD BE INCLUDED!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the hot water heater in the main building. It gives off an awful smell of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma? Share your experiences!