“Awesome Honeymoon Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum Km 55.3 | Maroma beach, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 25% Off + Credit
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Playa Maroma
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome Honeymoon Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at El Dorado Maroma! My wife and I were looking to spend our honeymoon at a smaller resort with a setting that was a bit more intamate than what you find at the average all-inclusive in Mexico. We found exactly what we were looking for!

The resort is very secluded. It's a beachfront property that sits close to 2 miles off of the main path. You're entry into the compound begins with an awesome drive through the jungle and it ultimately spits you out right onto the water.

Rooms were great! We had a honeymoon suite right on the water- the best way to wake up in the morning!

Food was great! Because Maroma is a smaller resort, they only have 3 dining facilities (Mexican, Italian, and Japanese). The food was very unique and each place had its own unique Mexican twist on the dishes. My only complaint is the selection of desserts. All 3 places had the same 3 desserts- ice cream, chocolate cake, and cheesecake.

Sevice was by far the greatest part of this trip! Excellent staff who do an excellent job of making you feel welcomed. We enjoyed meeting and interacting with the same staff members each day. We felt like we really got to know a lot about many of them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

1,408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Overall I would not recommend this specific resort to friends and family. The beach truly was captivating, and we would definitely think about staying at another resort along the Maroma beach. If we did not have the beach, it would have been a terrible experience.
My husband and I had our wedding at Secrets Silversands with over 40 guests and had a wonderful experience. We left Secrets to move to a more intimate and expensive resort to enjoy an upgrade for our honeymoon. We thought since we spent almost a $1500 dollars more, for the same duration, we would be blown away with the rooms and resort. We were sadly and horribly wrong. The room was incredibly smaller and a worst view then our previous resort. It said, "ocean view", and if you crouched down and bent back a few palm trees I guess you could kind of see the ocean. In addition, when we got to our room there was absolutely nothing done to celebrate our honeymoon. We unpacked and realized our honey moon was already off to a rough start, so we went to talk with a manager to see about an upgrade. An upgrade was an additional $600 and they would only give us a small discount. They showed us the upgraded room and it was virtually the equivalent to the room we had at secrets, with a better view. However, in total it was going to cost us a total of $2000 more for the same type of room and the same duration compared to secrets. Throughout the duration of our stay we encountered a couple other small obstacles and the resort continued to do nothing to try and make our experience any better or any type of discount. Then, they had the audacity to invite us to the concierge under the assumption that we could select a candlelight dinner on the beach or a couples massage. Once we got to the concierge we realized the only way to qualify for the dinner or massage was to attend an hour and a half Karisma presentation to become a member to the resorts. We did not attend. We spent our time between the pools and beaches which were very nice and the service staff would wait on you hand and foot. I have nothing bad to say about the bars, food, and service staff. We decided to do an excursion, and the coordinator on site did nothing to discount us since it was our honeymoon. In addition, he said it would be a noon to 4 excursion. We left at noon on time but did not return until almost 6pm. The excursion to the cenotes was amazing and would recommend to anyone who likes caves and exploring!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX - USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at El Dorado and it was hard to leave paradise! Hands down this hotel understands the importance of service. We have traveled extensively and can say that we were completely in awe of the level of service in this resort. My husband has a food allergy and I truly believe every single person working in the resort knew this fact. Speaking of food...it was far above anything we have experienced staying at an all-inclusive. They pride themselves on serving "gourmet" dishes and we loved everything we tried.
Our room was on the 4th floor (honeymoon suite) and it was spacious with a gorgeous view of the ocean. While there are no elevators, I did not mind the climb to our room. If you have any trouble with stairs, they will gladly switch your room to a ground floor though. My favorite part of the room was the outdoor shower...amazing way to start or end the day (it is completely private so no one can see!).
A special shout out to Jonas, our server most of the stay. He is truly one of the sweetest people we have ever met with such a passion for his service and country. If you are lucky enough to meet him, you will understand what I mean!
If you are contemplating staying here....just book it...you won't regret it! And if you have any specific questions, please email me. I am happy to tell you more about our experience! Cheers!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal,quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We are a couple in the 30`s from Montreal. We are exotic members since 2 years an a half and we dont regret our decision. This was our second visit, we were there from december 26th until january 4th.

The resort is small and really relaxing. You feel like your alone on the resort. We wanted a relaxing vacation, and that`s what we got. If you are the type of person that needs entertainment and lot`s of activities.. THIS IS NOT the place for you. This resort is for people who wants to be pampered and not think about anything.. just sitback and enjoy !

The food is a real 5 star, We eat better there than alot of restaurant back in montreal. The Chef really knows his stuff ! The 2 bars are really enough, considering the small resort. They have alot of different drinks to try and discover. The alchool is not watered down...it`s the good stuff.

The beach is the most gorgeous beach we have ever seen.. we went to the bahamas, cuba, jamaica and none compares to this. The sand is so white and feels like powder, the water is cristal clear and no waves at all. There is a marina right beside, and my wife and I loved it.. there is nothing more relaxing than listening to boats moving with the water.

Our room was perfect, nothing to say.. I will keep my room # for me, as we want it back next year :o) LOL .

To finish, the staff makes all the difference, they are professionals and looking at all the little details to please you. We want to thank all the staff for making us feel like home.. We were so sad to leave.. but cant wait to go back. I want to make a special thank to the following employees for their service, personality and for making sure we were never missing anything.

Our Personal Butlers, what Can I say... WOW.. you are the best.. You treated us like royalty and we loved taking the time to chat with you guys, when you had a little 2 minutes...

Heidi
Salvador
Alan
Manuel

I will continue with the room service provided by : Pedro and Antonio.. Really nice and professional. We ordered rooms service every day for our breakfast and they really help to start our day with a smile. Really amazing persons.

Then the restaurants: Your chef Francisco Perez is really great.. took time to talk to us, and the food was really delicious.

The waiters: Fernando, Ulises, Victor, Israel, Ismael, Ruben and Jeremias, Always working with a smile and very passionate with their work. They served us every day with a passion and we had a great time with them all.

And to finish, not to forget Guillermo at the beach, making sure we had everything needed. And Dora at the beach always making sure we were good with our drinks :o). In 9 days she was always there and we never had to get up to go to the bar.. We wanted to, but she was telling us to relax and enjoy.

Also a special mention to Luis @ lomas. We had a great time @ Tulum. And took care of all the little details to make our excursion the best possible.

I really wanted to Thank all the people mentioned in this review. They made us fell like HOME.. THANK YOU !

Cant wait to go back.. This is our favorite resort, and looking fwd to our next vacation.

Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon last week. This is a beautiful hotel with outstanding service but not everything is perfect.

PROS
Location-Beach is perfect, pools are clean and refreshing.
Food-Surprisingly good. The special Mayan night was a winner as was the Japanese restaurant(although they did make their sushi with the wrong type of rice). We are from New York, so we didn't expect much from the Italian, but it was a winner too. Great Osso Bucco. Breakfast is good.
We did the special lobster dinner on the beach and it was worth every penny. BEST service we had all trip. The waiter was great. Very romantic and private.
Rooms-We had a swim up suite. Very spacious. HUGE bathroom. Very nicely appointed. Maid service was good and efficient. Turn down service every night.
Service-Everyone was friendly and always smiling. Great bartenders and very friendly support staff(i.e., maids, cooks, pool/beach attendants)
Entertainment-There isn't a lot of nighttime activities, but that's what we wanted. We went to casino night(fun), the comedy/magician(awesome) and the fire show on the beach(amazing).

CONS
-The pushy "personal concierge" trying to sell us the club and calling our room at 9am(4 times) when we didn't come to the seminar for the Exotic club.
-Not enough servers at busy restaurant times. Service severely lacked at busy times. They remained friendly but very slow and inefficient.
-If you don't get to the beach by 8am you will NOT get a beach bed. That is a fact. People put their stuff down and sometimes don't come back for hours. The beach staff does nothing to stop this. Items left unattended for more than an hour should be put in a lost and found
-Guests, I know the hotel can't control who books a room there, but as an American I was embarrassed of my fellow countrymen. People from outside the northeast do not know how to behave in a foreign country. Disrespectful, rude and classless.
-If you book a tour expect that you will be away for longer than the pamphlet, or salesman, promises. They book the tours with so many people and the guides are not from Lomas so they don't know what time things are supposed to happen. We liked the tour, but expect a LONG day.
-WHEN YOU PAY THIS MUCH FOR A WEEK AT A RESORT THE INTERNET SHOULD BE INCLUDED!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the hot water heater in the main building. It gives off an awful smell of...
Port Hope, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We are very remiss in not sending this review sooner, as we loved our vacation, and would go back in a heartbeat. We stayed at the El Dorado Maroma last January. Life got in the way, and we neglected to do a review. Now that I am reading reviews on resorts for this year, I felt compelled to write one for our stay there. So here are the deets....

First of all, the check in was easy and painless. We arrived early and had to wait a bit for our room, but we were directed to the beach/restaurant, and the concierge then came to find us to tell us the room was ready. Very considerate!

The room was fabulous! Nice and spacious with an ocean view on the third floor. There was a wonderful plunge pool on the balcony that I enjoyed every day! There is an older part called the “Hotelito”, and then a newer area as well. The Hotelito are a bit older, and are two story buildings overlooking the pool area. The newer rooms are 4 stories, and many (but not all - you have to book them!) have jacuzzies on the balcony. Wonderful!

This is a small resort, but with all the amenities you could want. A true ‘boutique’ hotel. The staff throughout the resort are friendly and welcoming. Within days everyone knew our names, and stopped and chatted with us as we wandered the grounds.

The food was very good – a nice variety rotated through the restaurants. Perhaps a few more open at the same time would have been truly 5*, but really, nothing at all to complain about.

The beach was very nice, with a nice spa hut at one end. There is also a person who comes around doing free 10 minute massages along the beach. DO THIS! It’s so relaxing! Beach beds are very comfortable, and there is beach service for drinks as well.

The people working in the tour area (excursions) were a lot of fun, and got you where you needed to go promptly and efficiently. We went on an ATV tour that was fabulous – go for the one that originates in Akumal. I forget the name of the tour itself, but it takes you up into the jungle, zip line, zoo (of sorts), and to Akumal beach where the turtles lay their eggs. A really great tour. I apologize that I’ve forgotten names – but you were all wonderful! Note to the tour company – Ties are a bit over the top for the employees to wear – I got hot just looking at them!!! Given that excursions are a ‘relaxing’ event….let the staff relax a bit too :)

All in all – we would go back in a heartbeat. Great rooms, great food, great beach – and especially great staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your review , its never to late to share your comments! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments and i'm very happy that we , at the El Dorado Maroma, was able to provide you with a Dream Getaway.

Hopefully during your next visit we will meet

Jose Portocarrero
gm@eldoradomaroma.com
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

For anyone considering a destination wedding...look no further. This is the place. Let me explain why we are passing this information onto others in our area looking to get away to get married.

Room:
Our room was 521 and had a beautiful view of the ocean and pool. It was large, with a Jacuzzi inside the room and a king size bed with rope pillars. Now get ready for this...we had an outdoor balcony that had a table, lounge chairs for tanning, and an outdoor bed. The air conditioning can be controlled by the guests with a remote control. Television with all channels as well as a mini fridge that is kept stocked. The bathroom was a plus, not only marble floors but an indoor and outdoor shower. You could actually step outside your room and shower outside with walls and thatched roof over head for privacy and weather.

Service:
The room was made up everyday with a new decoration of pillows in the shape of animals, along with rose petals put in hallways, and on the bed. One nite coming back to the room, the hot tub was filled with hot water, bubbles, and heart shaped petals put on the foam. Room service was available 24 hours a day, and if you liked a particular thing *like a smoothie made with ice,water,bananas and strawberries, I could have that delivered every morning at 07:00am.
Nothing was too much for the people preparing the meals to be delivered to you room.

Beach:
The beach had man made reefs surrounding the area, so the swimmers could go out without having jet skiers, boaters, etc. to worry about. The water was clear, warm and a lot of fish to see with your eyes without snorkeling. The beach was raked each morning so it looked top-notch by the time you hit your lounge chair or the water. Service on the beach was amazing, with waiters and waitresses coming around to take drink orders.

Restaurants:
This was one of the best features of this property. It had 3 restaurants serving wonderful dinners that you could order, all with a little different type of food. Everyone was perfect, and we had a tough time deciding which one to go back to once we hit all of them. Another unbelievable thing was, we had a delicious soup (cream of spinach bisque) at one which we loved. We told our waitress how much we enjoyed it. The next night we went to a different restaurant which did not feature this soup, however when our soup arrived, guess what....it was the cream of spinach soup we had from the first restaurant.

The gym, spa, massages all a-one. We enjoyed all the features of these and especially like the massages outside by the ocean.

The wedding planners, Melanie and Alex made everything flow perfectly. They put our mind at ease with anything we thought about before, during and after the wedding.

Another favorite was the shows at Ricks, and our server Gabby at Mio's and Franklin at the pool bar.

We will go back for sure.

To the couple that took photos of our wedding at the beach, we are enclosing our email and cell phone number in case you want to send the pics.

Thanks again,

Craig and Jill
craig.nickel@sbcglobal.net
414-870-3482

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma? Share your experiences!