“The beach steals the show” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum Km 55.3 | Maroma beach, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 35% Off + Credit
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
Apex, North Carolina
“The beach steals the show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon at EDM. This was our first time in Mexico and while we were blown away by the views and oceans there was still some to be desired from the resort.

ROOM 3/5:
My first tip is if you reserve an infinity pool suite, you are playing the lottery. You will either get an absolutely amazing room (read: amazing view. Most of the rooms seem to be laid out pretty much the same). It all depends on which floor you get put on. We got the second floor so we had a nice view of...palm trees. The patio is still a really nice place to relax. The infinity pool is a bit chilly but it's not unbearable and we did stay there in December. The other reason you are playing the lottery is because chance are pretty good that your room will not be ready by check in. I had read this on other reviews but I certainly didn't think it would happen to us.

We went to check in and were told that the infinity pool was being repaired and that we would be "upgraded" for the night to a swim up suite. I think this is what upset me the most was that they insisted it was an upgrade. A swim up suite, underneath ongoing maintenance (hammering and grinding), next to a maids closet (constant conversations amongst the staff laughing and yelling), at the foot of a stairwell is not an upgrade (you can hear anyone coming down or up), and in the back of the resort (next to the ozone plant = more noise) is not an upgrade. Bottom line; Room 802 is terrible. Luckily one call to our travel agency resulted in us being comp'ed for the night and the next day we were promptly moved to the infinity suite we reserved. This is where our vacation really began.

The rooms are nice and large, good sized bed, ours had a jacuzzi which was nice, and the living area with couches was comfortable. We spent a good amount of our evenings on the patio in front of our own infinity pool. The patio has two chairs, a bed, and a curtain for even more added privacy/protection from the sun. The mini-fridge was stocked daily with soda, beer, water, and some treats (my wife LOVED the Mui-bons). Once we got the correct room the only thing that would have made it perfection would have been a higher floor.

FOOD 4/5:
The food was good. I would put it on par with your average restaurant back in the States. The special dinner nights at Sabores are the exception. They were on another level. The breakfast at Papitos was awesome and you can't beat the views. All in all the choices were pretty few but it is a smaller resort so I don't really expect a ton of options. 2 options for breakfast and lunch and 3 options for dinner.

BEACH 5/5:
I can't say enough about the beach. It was amazing. The one thing that stands out for me is the sand. It is NEVER hot. I still don't understand how that's possible at 3pm in 90 degree weather. Going for a walk north along the beach made for some great photography settings. The water was beautiful. At the resort it was crystal clear above the surface but the visability below the surface couldn't have been more than 10ft. The artificial reefs are kind of an eye sore in my opinion but if they make for a better beach I'm all for it. The snorkeling at the resort was ok, nothing to write home about. There are plenty of juvenile barricuda which I found kind of neat.

SERVICE 5/5:
The service was fantastic aside from the first day and even that was just the reception desk we had an issue with. Everyone is really friendly and willing to do whatever it takes to make you happy. Any staff member you pass by will always greet you with a friendly "Hola". There's not much more I can say other than that. They were great.

All in all it was a fantastic honeymoon. My wife and I really did enjoy our time there and wouldn't mind coming back again. If you're looking for a small resort with a fantastic beach and friendly service El Dorado Maroma is definitely a good choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Almost perfect. A couple of things took away from a perfect rating.

Firstly, the food was disappointing. At this price point and being in Mexico I was fully expecting a better dining experience than Majestic Elegance in Punta Cana last year. Not so. Breakfast and lunch were ok but dinners were average at best. I wasn't expecting a 3 star Michelin experience but certainly better than what we got.

Service was outstanding from ALL staff, from housekeeping to wait staff to concierge, etc. There was always a friendly 'ola' to be had. Best service I've ever received, with one glaring exception. When on vacation I look forward to waking up at my leisure and whenever I want. Instead, we were woken by new age (but not 'zen' type) music from the Sabores bar at 7:15 every morning. We complained every morning with no results. I can't understand this! There was never anyone there at that time- just the bartender! I'd can accept maybe 8:00am but 7:15!? Drove us crazy. At least if it had been Mexican music..........At the other end of the spectrum, the resort didn't have any ginger ale for my CC and ginger. No problem, Anna Lilia (concierge) had someone run out and get a few bottles for me.

Internet access was only available for a fee. Absolutely ridiculous. In this day and age, WiFi should be readily available and included in the $2100+ price. I'm not one to be checking emails every 5 minutes while on vacation but needed to make some minimal contact once or twice during the week. At minimum, it should be free in the lobby.

Everything else is wonderful. The beach and water are fantastic. Absolute privacy with no other resorts within eyesight. Towels available whenever needed. Plenty of chairs on the beach and by the pool. Drink service on the beach. Etc., etc., etc.

Be aware, however, that this resort is EXTREMELY quiet with very little night time action. We were looking for quiet but this may have been a bit much. Nevertheless, we met some wonderful people and made new friends along the way.

We won't be going back only because there are so many other places to see. Otherwise, we would highly recommend this resort.

Franc and Tara
Toronto

Room Tip: If you want any sort of view you will need to be on the 3rd or 4th floor. Otherwise, you get palm t...
Alberta Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just returned from my 12th visit to my favorite resort and second "home". I truly love this resort. Why do we come here so often? Well, first and foremost, it is because of the staff, and how they consistently give the very best service. The staff, over time, have become very important to me. They are like family members. There is nothing that they would not do to ensure that your vacation is absolutely perfect. After 12 visits, I never tire of the food here. Thanks so much to Chef Francisco and his staff for providing us with top notch quality food. The ingredients are fresh, the meals are delicious giving us a taste of the various spices and sauces using ingredients that are new to us. Also, Chef Francisco, thank you for providing us with our beloved authentic Mexican meals! You went over and above, no matter how busy you are, to ensure our culinary pleasure. We absolutely loved trying out the new "Tastes Around Mexico" menu. Keep up the great work! El Dorado Maroma, you rock! You can count on seeing us often!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you once again for your visit and another wonderful review . The El Dorado Maroma is truly your second home and it is a pleasure to welcome you back time after time.

It is very special when our guests recognize our staff for their efforts and hard work; I have shared your comments with them and with Chef Francisco; Fransisco , along with his team are very happy to hear that they were able not only meet you expectations , but to surpass previous experiences.

we all look forward to your next visit , please do not hesitate to contact me prior to arrival so we can ensure that you have yet another memorable vacation at the El Dorado Maroma.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We had an amazing time at the El Dorado Maroma! We celebrated our honeymoon over Thanksgiving and from the moment we arrived, we were treated to special upgrades and surprises. To start off our honeymoon, they upgraded us to the Presidential Villa. In a word – WOW. This villa was incredible. As if that wasn’t enough to spoil us, they booked us a couples massage on the beach as well – completely complimentary! We highly recommend making reservations for dinner on the beach! The food was outstanding! Our favorite place to have breakfast and lunch was Papitos, but the food at every restaurant was delicious.

What we loved the most about Maroma was the gorgeous beach! We spent every moment we could on the beach and in the water. We couldn’t get enough of it. It was quite chilly some days so we didn’t get to enjoy the pools as much as we would have liked to, but the one day we did, we met some great people. Throughout the week we also got to know the incredible staff. There were too many staff members to list, but Edwin, Eduardo, Eva and Renee were the four we interacted with the most and they were fabulous!

The resort definitely has a laid back, quiet vibe, which we certainly enjoyed.

Thanks to Jennifer and Alison at VIP Vacations (travelbyvip.com) for recommending such a beautiful, romantic place to spend our honeymoon. We cannot wait to go back!

Dear Shannon

Welcome to the Trip advisor community and we are honored that your first review posted is about your wonderful experiences at the El Dorado Maroma.

I.m glad that you followed the reccommendation from Jennifer and Alison at VIP vacations and chose to vacation at our hotel. It was an honor to be entrusted with such a special occasion in your lives and we hope that you have many memorable moments from your honeymoon.

our Beachfront villas are spectacular , with the terrace area leading straight onto the beach , this 2 storey villa is a definately the most luxurious accomodation that can be found within the Riviera Maya! and we are happy that you were able to experience this.

I will be sharing your kind words with our staff , which I am sure will serve as motivation , and the mentioned staff will be rewarded for their efforts.

Again, thank you for choosing the El Dorado Maroma and I look forward to your next.

Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We arrived for our 7th visit to the El Dorado Maroma on Wednesday, November 21st. We headed home on December 1st and really enjoyed our 10 night visit. We were celebrating our 10th anniversary, which was on the 22nd. We are not Exotic Travel club members and just love the resort.

I had emailed with the wonderful Martina before our visit with a few items, including the room request and a dinner reservation for the first night which was Mayan night (there were a few wedding groups there and I wanted to be sure we would be able to get an earlier time after getting up early to travel). The few requests were handled perfectly – thank you Martina!!

We made it through the airport in about 45 minutes even having checked a bag, which was already off the carousel and waiting for us when we were done with immigration. There was a fairly long line for customs but it moved pretty quickly. We were out of the door and then found the Olympus desk to get our transfers. Unfortunately it took about 20 minutes for the van to come around for us but soon enough we were on our way to the EDM (we had a private transfer).

We checked in at the EDM and our request of room 207 was honored and our luggage arrived and we went to lunch so we wouldn’t miss taco day at Pepitos. We then went back to the room to get all settled and Sr. Portocarerro (the manager) came to greet us as well as Cesar (who was making sure the few requests for in room beverages were handled). After a bit of chatting we were able to get unpacked and into our swimsuits and then headed to the palapa by bar 24 that we used each day. After a few hours we decided to go to the main pool. The water was pretty cold, and I am not one who gets cold easily at all. It was pretty uncomfortable in both pools so we did not have our usual afternoon time at the swim up bars meeting fellow travelers as no one else was really in the water either.

The service that we received throughout our visit was exceptional. We were greeted by our first names by pretty much everyone on the resort and it really made us feel as if we were home. I was curious as to where Cindy was during our visit but never brought it up as I knew she was expecting another child when we were there in May so figured that she may be on maternity leave. I was shocked to find out that she had been let go just before we arrived (found this out via Facebook). She was so lovely and really made us feel special on a daily basis during our past visits. It is such a shame that they have lost a very lovely person in Cindy – she will certainly be a huge asset to her next employer!

We were lucky enough to be invited to a new special dinner which took place on the first Friday of our visit. They used to do a Dinner Around the World but had stopped doing that a bit ago. Our invitation was to the inaugural Dinner Around Mexico, 10 lucky people were asked to join on this special dinner. Chef Francisco has developed a new menu that highlights some of the wonderful aspects of Mexican dining. It was FABULOUS! I was not really a fan of the Dinner Around the World, but I did love the tomato soup (thank you Chef for surprising us with that soup on one of our nights at Kiyoko-yummy as always!); this new dinner was a huge improvement. Each course was wonderful and enabled you to explore some new tastes and combinations. Just some of my personal highlights of this dinner…There was a mole duo and one of the items was Turkey breast that had been cooked in a light mole (Chef did share that the chocolate in that was actually white chocolate and it had more tomatoes than standard mole poblano which created a lighter mole overall). I have never been a big fan of turkey but I NEVER want to eat turkey again unless it is cooked like that. I could have easily eaten a huge plate of that!  The desert was perfect, very lightly sweetened chocolate tamale; the corn flavor was still there though very subtle, with a strawberry dipping sauce. I am not a big sweet fan so the balance was perfect to me. I did keep the menu and am happy to share if anyone is interested (just don’t have it on me when writing this review).
I have seen a few comments about the beach and wanted to offer my observations. The EDM’s beach has been greatly expanded over the years and this trip it was easily the largest that we have seen. There are two main sections of chairs and umbrellas (one just off the main pool area and another just south of Pepitos) for all guests to use and it looks like there are enough chairs for everyone to have a least 2 on the beach. Just past Pepitos (south) is the newest beach area, which didn’t actually exist for our first 3-4 visits. It now has a good number of loungers and umbrellas as well as beach beds. Further south from that is the area in front of the oceanfront villas. There are not a lot of chairs down in that area but the beach is lovely (and again did not exist before as it used to have mangrove stumps and such protruding out into the water from the mangroves that are now cleared). Some may think that this area is off limits to most guests and that it is only for the villa people but anyone can be on that part of the beach and we often were.

I promised to keep a look out for how any families that were staying at the Generations would impact the EDM. There was no one booked at the EDG while we were there so some (if not all) of the staff was actually working at the EDM. That being said there was one incident with a kiddo that I want to mention. We were at our usual palapa (the one closest to the back patio of room 207, just past the hammock) one day and a couple with a toddler came over from the marina. They had been playing in the water and then wandered up to the beach bed directly in front of ‘our’ palapa. The child was having a big time, running around screeching and playing. The family were at the beach bed for over 45 minutes until I motioned to a member of staff and then finally someone came up to talk to them and they headed back to the marina. There were a few other incidents of people walking over from the marina and using loungers and even walking into the resort (one couple plopped down on the hammock right by ‘our’ palapa and were not guests at the EDM) without any of the EDM staff approaching them. While there are signs (in Spanish and very poor English) between the marina and the EDG/EDM, the lack of enforcement for people coming onto the property left something to be desired (and yes, I realize that beaches in Mexico are public). This was probably the worst I have seen in all of our visits to the EDM and of course it did not really impact our trip but it is something that I wanted to mention.

I do want to mention a few of the names of the wonderful staff who went above and beyond to make us feel so at home: Chef Francisco – you are really getting settled into your new role as head chef as the food was so much better than our last visit in May – thank you so much for everything, Gaby in Mio, Charley/Carlos in both Sabores and Kiyoko, Jonas (who should NOT be on room service as he is too much of an asset in Sabores), Maria Jesus who kept our room sparkling, Ruth our concierge, Rene (el burro) at Bar 24, Carlos at Sabores bar, Jose Luis in Bar 24 or Sabores bar, Emilio at bar 24, Alejandro at Ricks (hmmm I see a theme here), Diego and Dora as beach servers, Israel in Sabores for lunch, the lovely Caterina, Martina (though I am very sad we didn’t actually get to meet), Cesar who spoils us rotten, Agustine, Susan (we enjoyed catching up and I am waiting for those pictures) and of course Sr. Portocarrero.

So, our trip this time was MUCH better than our visit in May. The pool water being too cold to really enjoy was the only real ‘complaint’ that I have from this visit. Sr. Portocarrero did state that they would be installing heaters to the two pools in the very near future, they are currently working on the pools at the EDR and then will move to the EDSS then then EDM, so that should not be an issue for much longer. He also stated that construction should start very soon for the new bar and restaurant that will be above Sabores and will off a quieter venue for the evening. We haven’t decided when we are going back but we will certainly be visiting the EDM again soon – just not in May!  Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Once Again , Thank you for yet another wonderful review and it was an honor to host you for your anniversary celebrations. Being your 7th stay , this alone show us that we are doing things right and providing our loyal guests with superior vacation experiences leading them to return year after year.

It was my pleasure to meet you on this vacation and it is great to know that this visit once again, lived up to expectations. we are very proud that our staff are loyal to the El Dorado Maroma and the majority are long standing employees. unfortunately , one of employees,cindy, mutually parted ways with our company and is no longer working at the hotel.

Recently, in the El Dorado Maroma, our Head of Food and Beveragde , along with the Executive chef have designed menu and innovative menus for our eateries. These creative menus are a fusion of local dishes, the very best ingredients and unique combinations. we are very happy that you enjoyed your Gourmet dining experiences.

I appreciate your comments with regards to the El Dorado Generations; I will be sure to review the signs and reinforce our policies.

Once again , thank you for returning time after time to the El Dorado Maroma and I am sure that this will continue to be your hotel of choice for many years to come.Please do not hesitate to contact myself or Martina prior to your return and we will ensure that each stay just gets better and better.

Hurst, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We chose EDM on the advice of Mitch from TripGuy.com and his description of the resort was 100% accurate. The BEACH is WONDERFUL (even the with the artificial reef) as a matter of fact the reef is what makes the beach SO nice.

We had the Honeymoon Suite and it was great but turned out to be more room then we really needed. The next time we go we will just get the Mi Hotelito room. It was centrally located to everything and you are ground level or just one floor up. Don't get me wrong the view from the 4th floor was awesome but we wanted to be on the beach not in our room.

One good thing about the Honeymoon Suite Room category is you have your own Butler to help with any questions or issues you might have while on your vacation. Our Butler was Edwin and he was a great guy. He would come find us each day and make sure we where having a great time. He decorated our room one night while we had dinner. We had a few issues while on vacation like one bad meal and one day the keys just stopped working but it all got fixed.

As for the food like I said we had one bad meal. It was our first dinner and while that did kind of stink by the time we had 5 more great dinners we kind of forgot that even happened. Our two favorite restaurants where Kiyoko (Oriental) and Sabores (Mexican and Caribbean) we ate at both of those twice and we also ate at one of the Specialty diner nights the Italian night and it was great.

We have been to A LOT of resorts in the Cancun/Mayan Riviera area and this is the first time I have felt like the place had everything I wanted so I felt the need to post a review. What we wanted from this trip was an awesome (swim/floatable) beach, updated room, great food and a low key atmosphere and EDM was all that and more!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Roxanne

I'm very happy to hear that you took the advice of Mitch at TripGuy.com . We know mitch well and he always selects the perfect hotel for his clients.

Each one of our room categories has different features, some have oversized balconies with beautiful views , others are ground floor with direct access to the pools from the terrace. The Mi hotelito rooms are very popular due to their prime location, just steps from the Ocean. I'm gald that you enjoyed our personalized Butler service and that Edwin attended to all your needs.

I'm sorry to read that you had a hiccup with our food on your first night nevetheless I'm happy to hear that each meal after this was a great dining experience.

As you are a seasoned traveler , I truly appreciate your kind words and appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experiences with the trip advisor community.

I hope to see you again in the near future at the El Dorado Maroma

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Just back from 5 days at El Dorado Maroma and had a wonderful time. I cannot say enough postive things about this resort and must specifically mention that the service was impeccable and the food was great. Maroma beach is absolutely beautiful...

Dear Toni

Thank you for your review of your recent vacation at the El Dorado Maroma. We are constantly looking for new and creative ways to provide superior experiences to our Guests.

I will forward to your next visit to the El Dorado Maroma.

gm@eldoradomaroma.com

Been to El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma? Share your experiences!