“A Perfect Vow Renewal on a Perfect Anniversary in PERFECT Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum Km 55.3 | Maroma beach, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
texas
“A Perfect Vow Renewal on a Perfect Anniversary in PERFECT Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that I have stayed at numerous( 10-15) 4-5 star resorts along the Riviera Maya and Cancun. This was our 5th trip to EDM for a reason.We stayed May 15-26. I would have to strongly disagree with a previous reviewer who stated that EDM was not stylish, classy or luxurious, I realize this is all in the "eye of the beholder " : however I prefer to travel to Mexico to get away from an American, Canadian or European decor. I want to stay in a resort that personifies the beauty, style, class and true kindness and personality of the Mexican culture. If you want a HUGE, LOUD, Impersonal resort----- DO NOT go to EDM. If you want quiet, peace, relaxation, incredible beach and grounds, the best customer service you can imagine - then EDM is the place for you. We have stayed in Honeymoon suites, Swim up Suites, Infinity pool suites, Presidential Suites and Beachfront Villas during our stays. If you want luxury..look at the pictures attached to this review of the beach villas. If those dont exemplify luxury Im not sure what does.
The incredibly nice thing about this trip is when we arrived we saw 5 other couples we had met the previous May while staying at EDM. All had come back again and it was such a fun surprise.

It was our anniversary and I prearranged a Vow Renewal Ceremony on the beach on our actual Anniversary. This was so easily done with the wedding team. Everything was taken care of online. When we arrived we met with the wedding team and verified all the arrangements. It was EXACTLY as I requested. It was the most gorgeous, romantic, candlelight ceremony I have ever seen. A huge Gracias to Melissa, Adrianna, Areli, and Catarina ( Im so glad you are back at EDM ). for a truly unforgettable night.My husband ordered flowers for me through the concierge Paola and Adrianna. It was one of the most beautiful flower arrangements I have ever seen. They arrived to get us for the ceremony promptly on time, had all arrangements taken care of and had arranged for a wonderful dinner on the beach after the ceremony. When we returned to our room our hot tub was filled with bubbles and flowers and a bottle of champagne awaited us !

No Need to discuss the beach or grounds as they are gorgeous. The only comment many people leave out is that no matter how hot it gets the white, soft, flour - like sand never gets hot .We always take our snorkel gear and this trip saw many starfish and multiple species of fish right off our beach.

We ordered room service several nights. Just because its not on the menu doesnt mean you cant order it.There was a night my husband didnt feel well and they brought him what he wanted from any restaurant. Every time we ordered someone would call us within 30 minutes to make sure we got our order, that it was correct and to make sure we didnt need anything else :).

EDM property is pure paradise......but what makes this property truly heavenly are the staff. Jonas, Vital, Gaby, Victor (wait staff are incredible ). Cindy - your smiling face every day to greet us makes me happy even now. Dora, Diego and Manuel - beach waiters - always there promptly with our drinks before we even ordered. One afternoon we had a Bocchi ball tournament on the beach we 4 other couples. Cesear ( bar and food service mgr ) saw us and had a special treat brought out to us !

The bartenders are TOPS !!!! Renee, Carlos, Franklin, Luis - they can make any drink and make it well - always anticipate your need and always smile !

Trinidad and elena in housekeeping were never seen but always kept our villa clean with little towel surprises everyday. Our fridge was always fully stocked.

If you want a massage find Daniel -------ahhhhh...pure relaxation.

Just a dessert tip - Im not much in desserts but the coconut fried ice cream is fabulous.

Dont book any outside excursions until you arrive. Luis form Lomas is onsite and will help you find any excursion you could want. we met people who booked theirs prior to arrival and had to leave out of cancun instead of out of the marina 20 steps away.

Last but certainly not least - the resort manager Jose is one of the kindest people you will ever meet. Its obvious the staff like working for him. Everyone seems to love their job. He will do everything he possibly can to make sure your stay in paradise is truly heavenly.

let me end by saying I am not a member of any travel club. My husband and I work full time. The money we spend on vacation is very important to us. That is why we continue to return to EDM.

It is truly Heaven on Earth - and who complains about Heaven ?

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions about this property - I will answer every message.

Room Tip: If you have questions message me - we have stayed in 5 different category rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

My new wife and I traveled from Atlanta to El Dorado Maroma for our honeymoon from 5/21-5/27. I am rating it 4 out of 5, due to just a few things, but overall I rate the resort as Excellent and worth every penny.

Our arrival at EDM was less than impressive, we were checked in by Daniel and he seemed as if he could care less about Customer Service. We were married on 5/19, but unfortunately no one told us we needed a copy of our marriage license to receive the Honeymoon Package. We did not have a copy, but the way Daniel handled it was very poor. He made it seem as if the whole trip I booked was now null and void. After several panicked minutes he finally explained it was just for the Honeymoon Complimentary Package not the trip itself. He was not very helpful as I tried to frantically call back to the USA to try to get a copy. Anyway, if any hotel management read these reviews I hope they coach their check-in people on better Customer Service when the guests arrive.

We stayed in a Honeymoon Suite, which was perfect for us, no infinity pool, but we were not in the room very much so not a big deal. Large room, comfortable bed, great A/C, outdoor shower was GREAT; we showered out here most times. Outdoor space is fine; bed on the patio is nice.

FOOD: We ate at the Asian restaurant 3 nights (we like sushi and it was great), we did the Italian theme dinner which was nice, and they had a great singer which added to the atmosphere. Papitos is solid for breakfast and lunch, same for Sabores. Overall we were never hungry and didn't have a bad meal. Also had dinner on the beach and the Rack of Lamb was awesome!

POOL: Great pool, not as much breeze as the beach so it is a little hotter. They keep it clean, there is always someone cleaning. Swim up bar was great and Franklin always welcomed us to his "Office". We spent most of the day at the beach and hit the pool area around 3pm to cool off and have some drinks. Met some great people at the swim-up bar from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama and Boston area.

BEACH: If you read anything of this review this is the section to read. I want to start by offering praise to Manuel, who runs a tight ship on the beach. Every morning Manuel would see us step foot on the beach and he grabbed 2 towels and met us over at the beach beds, he laid out towels for us and was so helpful and pleasant. He would always stop by and check on us and others to make sure you didn't need anything. On our last morning when we got to the beach, Manuel had already put out towels on the beach bed and chairs, talk about above and beyond, he knew it was out last day and took care of us without us having to ask. Anyway, if you go to EDM make sure to meet Manuel, he is one of the great things about this resort. Beach overall is perfect, water is clear, drinks are brought to you, it is true paradise.

We will be back, already talking to some friends about a group trip for next May. Thank you to all the restaurant staff, spa staff, bartenders and of course the beach staff (especially Manuel). You all made our honeymoon so enjoyable. If anyone has questions about EDM please feel free to contact me I will give you a very honest opinion.

Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed as a couple at this establishment from 17 – 31 May. This hotel was a disappointment to us. We have stayed at many five star all inclusive hotels on the Riviera May and by comparison in our opinion this one is overpriced. This is a very low key, laid back resort and not at all stylish or sophisticated.

The good points about this resort are:
The beach is the jewel in the crown here, white powdery sand and the sea is very clear and calm for swimming. Also being a small resort it is very quiet and intimate without having that ‘crowded’ feeling, always plenty of room on the beach. The majority of the staff are very attentive and helpful, like to name the following, Jeremiah, Cindy in Pepitos, Alfredo in Sabores, and Victor in the Italian (excellent waiter).

Please be aware that although the Mi Hotelito rooms are advertised as suites they are in fact just a standard room with a walk in shower, no tub, which I have never experienced in a five star hotel. Eldorado advertise the hotel as ‘Gourmet Inclusive’ but in our opinion the cuisine was nowhere near that standard, it was not at all consistent, some good meals and quite a few not so good.
The choice of restaurants is very limited with only three open in the evening and once a week the Italian closes. On a 14 night stay this is not enough of a choice (although I appreciate this is probably not a problem for guests staying for 4/5 nights). It would also be nice to have a comfortable lobby/piano bar to have a pre/after dinner drink, because the only bar apart from Rick’s is the pool bar which is open to the weather and not very comfortable to sit in in evening attire.

When we vacation we do prefer to stay in a luxurious, stylish, classy hotel, unfortunately this is not for us and we will not be returning to El Dorado Maroma.

Bath, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed here the first time when it was first bought by Karisma and all the pools (canals) were not yet finished. I was disappointed in that. Otherwise, I have no complaints and LOVE< LOVE LOVE This place. Food, service, atmosphere - you name it it is top notch - been there twice and no regrets. NONE!

I loved the little animals made of towels by housekeeping bearing fresh flowers each day on the freshly made bed.

Luxury!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Katy, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We had a wonderful time on our little "getaway" to this resort. We needed a resort where we could just rest, relax, and recharge a bit (we have 2 kids under the age of 3........exhausting!). This was exactly what we were looking for! The resort is small, intimate, and best of all........quiet. The waitstaff, spa staff, barteners, etc. were very accomodating. Everything we needed was either there waiting for us, or a phone call away. The suites are fabulous and well appointed and the lounge furniture by the pool and on the beach is awesome! Our only reason for not giving the resort 5 stars is that
1. New construction on the marina side of the resort is a bit destracting. Our first room was on this side of the resort. The views have been compromised for those rooms and the noise from the morning construction will not allow you to sleep in. This should be only temporary, though and you could always request a room on the opposite side of the resort and be completely unaffected.
2. The food was a definately less "gourmet" than we expected. A word of advice.......order Mexican food. The Mexican food is fantastic!! Go figure, Mexicans make the best mexican food. Room service leaves something to be desired so, I would definately go to one of the restaurants if you want the best food.

All in all, I would say this is definately a resort we would return to. I would trade slightly less gourmet food for the hospitality recieved anyday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite the marina.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Do we love Karisma ? Yes ! Yes! Yes!
And El Dorado Maroma is one of our favorite Karisma resort.
If you are the couple looking for all inclusive luxury adults only vacation and DO care of the food and beach then El Dorado Maroma is the best choice.
Super maintained property, non rocky beach, delicious food, imported alcohol, cozy rooms... What else ?! Oh... Nicest staff !
Cant tell any bads, only good, best, excellent !
FlyFromUSA.com

• Stayed November 2011
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My wife and I recently returned from the El Dorado Maroma and all I can say is it is as outstanding now as it was the other 2 times we have been there. The resort - the beach - the people!! The resort is very intimate ideal for just chillaxing - the beach sand water amazing and the people - awesome!!! The service is second to none and the staff are all so friendly. Thorough out this resort everyone is so accommodating - there are too many individuals to mention, however, I would like to single out; Carlos from the Asian restaurant - amazing, Diego, Renee, Franklin from the 'beverage' service - always there, Victor and Vital from the Italian restaurant and Manuel - the 'beach concierge' all were outstanding!!! Looking forward to seeing you all again in November and enjoying the 'magic' of the Maroma once again!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma? Share your experiences!