“Private luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum Km 55.3 | Maroma beach, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off + Credit
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Playa Maroma
Great Falls, Montana, United States
“Private luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I travel with my husband and our group of friends. Age ranges from 30's-50's.

Just returned from an 8 day retreat at the El Dorado Maroma. This is an anual trip to Mexico I take. I travel with a group ranging from 4 people up to 16. We have stayed at several different resorts in the Playa del Carmen area. This is our New Home. We search no further for the perfect getaway! El Dorado Maroma provided our group with top notch service, meals and accomidations. All the while we enjoyed the best beach we have been to in mexico. Priced just right. 5 star and diamond status treatment.

Safe and secure! I know all the hub bub about travel to mexico at this time, but I will continue to return. I have never felt uncertain about my safety at anytime. The resorts rely on tourism, it is their lively hood and the People of El Dorado Maroma treat and protect you like family. Everyone in our group drinks the water and eats the food. Have no fear, they want to keep you healthy and make you happy so you will return! They serve bottled water everywhere.

I have found in the past I sought after excursions to get away from the resorts I have stayed at in the past. This year I was so at peace with the environment at the El Dorado I did not want to leave. No reservations for dinner required. Payments are all charged to your room and handled upon checkout. No need to carry more than some cash to tip with. However....I will warn you the service is so excellent you will want to tip everyone! No trolleys or long walks to dinner. Everything you need is close to your room.

I only have one con - - I was bitten by either sand fleas or mosquitos not sure which but boy do they itch! I will bring bug spray when we return.

We have already begun preparations for our return next year. This is a small resort with larger than life treatment. A quiet romantic place to relax with friends and bond with my husband.

Room Tip: Ocean front was the way to go for us. We had the ground floor for the 1st time on a trip. We always...

1,375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Brimfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

On Nov 12 -19, 2011, my husband and took our 4th trip to EDM. The service is excellent and the beach is breath taking. After 10 years of traveling, it has become number 1 on our list. It would be hard to beat this beautiful resort.
The only issue I have as an exotic member is making reservations and room assignments. On our May 2011 trip to EDM, we reinvested into the updated jewel program with new perks. When scheduling our Nov 2011 trip, I made several calls to the reservations department in Florida. After waiting 2 days,I was told no "royal suite" was available the week we wanted. I was assured I would receive all the royal emerald benefits with our infinity pool suite due to the unavailability . When the confirmation call was made a week before our trip, I confirmed that these benefits would be available to us. This became different when we arrived at the resort. We were told since we booked a sapphire room we only got those benefits. While at the resort, I expressed my frustration with this situation with the staff of exotic travel. I was told this was an on going problem and that an emerald room was available and it should have been offered. I was given an email address to contact exotic travel at EDM directly to make any future reservations. We did not have this problem on previous trips before changing from platium membership to the new jewel program. We hope that this situation is resolved quickly so we can feel positive about our investment and not be disappointed.

Room Tip: try to request buildings 3 or 4
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma, we'd like to thank you for your comments and we are honored to be considered the number one destination on your travel list; it is truly an honor to serve you on your vacations with us.

We'd like you to know that your feedback and comments have not been overlooked and upon review, were immediately forwarded to Exotic and their Member Services Manager should have already contacted you by now.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservices@karismamexico.com should you have any other inquiries or concerns. On behalf of El Dorado Maroma, we'd like to personally thank you for choosing to stay at our resort and look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I just got back from an amazing long weekend in Mexico. Our only other experience was with a Sandals resort so we were sure what to expect. When we first pulled up to the resort I wasn't too thrilled. The lobby is small and there isn't anything fantastic about, that is until you walk inside. The people inside were so welcoming that we hardly noticed the decor. We were greeted with cool towels and a lovely glass of champagne. We were then given a brief tour of the grounds and then escorted to our room.
We booked an infinity pool room and our travel agent asked for us to be in a 4th level room with a view. Our room was everything we expected and more. It was spacious and clean, the jacuzzi tub was large enough for my husband and I to relax with the jets on. The outdoor shower was very nice but the water has a lot more pressure then the rain shower head inside the room.
The staff was super nice and overly helpful. The beach was kept clean and organized we never had a problem getting beach chairs with an umbrella. There were also plenty of beds on the beach if you wanted more shade.
Overall we had an amazing experience and we cannot wait to return!
FYI- if going in November/December, it can get chilly in the afternoon and into the evening so bringing a sweater would be a good idea.

Room Tip: There aren't only elevators, so if you have bad knees, I would recommend a lower level room. The...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at EDM for a short vacation November 12-16th. The all-inclusives we have stayed at prior are Sun Palace, Excellence Riveria Cancun, Couples Swept Away and The Caves. We always like to try new places and we chose EDM based on its location and it's small size ( in comparison to other Riveria Maya all-inclusives)

I'd like to preface this review by saying we had a great vacation and if someone had told me they'd already booked at this resort I would in no way try to dissuade them from going there but we felt other resorts we've visited just do it better.

THE POSITIVES:
- Service at restaurants and by the pool and beach was stellar. Every person had a smile and wanted to know if we needed anything. We have nothing but wonderful things to say about the bartenders, wait staff, etc.

-Bed was very comfortable, room was very clean. We loved sitting on the patio and being able to get right into the pool and swim around to the main pool and get a cocktail.

-The beach was gorgeous. My husband isn't a strong swimmer but loves being out in the water and the waves and tides are often too strong at other places in Mexico for him to venture out very far. Because of the sandbags or "whales", the water at Maroma Beach is clear, calm and the deepest it got was to our hips. I understand this could be a negative for some but for us it was perfect. We'd often wade out, sit in the sand and just talk about life!

-Breakfast and lunch at Sabores and Pepitas were very good. Nice variety of options.

THE NOT SO PERFECT:
-While the room was perfectly comfortable, it was rather dark. I didn't really understand what other reviewers meant when they mentioned that. It wont ruin your vacation but I often felt like I was getting ready in a cave.

-The air conditioner in our room never seemed to be at full power. It was muggier in our room than we have every experienced on any of our tropical vacations. To be fair- it was tolerable so we didn't bring it up to management or attempt to change rooms.

-I had a difficult time at the workout facility. The hours posted outside say 8 am to 11 pm but I get up earlier than 8 am and the room is never locked so I was in there every morning around 7 am. Unfortunately, I always had to go get someone to turn on the treadmills and the air conditioning. HINT- if you want to use the treadmills, there's a switch at the very bottom in the front. And they keep the remote a/c control somewhere the guests can't get to it cause the staff always brought it in, turned on the a/c and then left with the control. Again- this isn't a big deal but one of the reason I chose this resort was for the gym
and it seemed silly to me that I couldn't just walk in and use it.

-We had some minor mishaps with the front desk/conceriege staff saying they would take of something and then having to follow up on it ourselves.

-The food was defintely average for dinner and for room service. Sabores was a our favorite dinner but they paired my delicious mahi mahi with an odd banana puree. My husband liked the Japanese well enough but I wasn't fond of most of the items I tried.

Overall, there was a lot to like about EDM but when comparing it to Sun Palace and ERC, it just fell a little short for us.

Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a Monday through Friday stay at the El Dorado Maroma for our 25th wedding anniversary. Overall we were very happy but the resort missed the mark for perfect (Excellent) on 2 points. A 3rd point is not the fault of the resort and doesn't affect my scoring but I wanted to share it for other travelers like us who don't come to the Riviera Maya often.

I will cover those 3 points first before going into all the great parts about this resort. Don't discount it just because of the first items.
- Many people in other reviews reported problems about rooms not being provided which match their reservation and this also happened to us. We arrived at the hotel at 8pm on Monday to check in to our Honeymoon suite. I had called reservations the day before to confirm that we had requested a Honeymoon suite and preferred something near the front in buildings 3, 4, 5 or 6. They confirmed this was in our reservation and noted again our preference. When we checked in I didn't bother to ask about it and we were escorted up to our suite. It turns out that we were not in a Honeymoon suite but had been given a suite in a brand new building to the left side (north) of the resort. It was brand new and on the 2nd floor. I realized instantly that this wasn't a Honeymoon suite and insisted we go back to the front desk. The young woman at the desk rationalized that we were in an "upgraded" room and couldn't explain why we weren't in the requested room. It was late so she finally stated she couldn't do anything about it that night and said we could come back in the morning. My view is that the resort does not take true room "reservations" but instead treats them as room requests, this despite the fact that they charge different rates and the rooms have different amenities. Long story short, we enjoyed our newer room for the rest of the trip (more on that in the room recomendation) but the resort could have made arrival much better with a little more training by their person at the desk. Saying right up front, "I'm sorry Mr. 'Smith' but your room doesn't match your reservation. We've given you a better room but if you don't like it we can work wit you to make changes." They did all this after the fact but some damage had already been done during the first 30 minutes of our stay.
- Related to the above, we were in a new building on the far left (north) of the property which had a waterfall wall on the front, very pretty. However on 2 different nights during our stay the waterfall pump malfunctioned and began making fairly loud sounds which woke us up from deep sleep and prevented returning to sleep. We called maintenance on both occasions and within 10 minutes had come to turn it off, it seems by turning off the power. They need to make sure this doesn't happen, probably part of being a recently opened building.
- 3rd issue is not a resort problem but worth mentioning for people not used to this area. In December, the nights get cool and if there are clouds during the day (we had cloudy afternoons on 3 days) it can also be cool. Bring clothes and casual wear according. People who looked like "regulars" had sweatshirts and warmer evening attire than we had packed.

So now for the good stuff. We loved the location of this resort. The only activity on this stretch of beach is this small(ish) resort and a marina. As far as the eye can see to the north and south there is no other commercial activity. While the beach is narrow to the south, it has a wild and unspoiled look. To the north (toward the marina) the beach is wide and perfect for walking. It is roughly a 3 mile walk around a small cape before you reach any more resorts. We walked that far and encountered about 10 resorts all one after the other and beaches with hundreds if not thousands of people. By contrast we probably never had more than 30 or 40 people on the beach. The water was quite calm at our location and very comfortable to wade and swim. To protect the beach there are large sandbags off shore. (Some call them whales.) You can wade out and snorkel around the bags even if you are not an experienced snorkeler. It isn't great snorkeling but there were a variety of fish small corals (just starting) and large star fish. If you aren't inclined to go out into the ocean to snorkel at the reef it is a good option. Other than our check in "issue" the staff were friendly, attentive and helpful as so many others have noted. While we are not regulars at All Inclusive resorts (this is our 3rd one) the food and drinks were by far the best. The food was as good as many restaurants and far, far better than food we had at the other AI resorts. Drinks were also very good and not weak or watered down. We splurged on our first night on an upgraded bottle of wine but drank the house wine on the other nights and it was just fine. Don't expect 5 star restaurant level food but overall we were quite pleased with all of our meals. The grounds are small and intimate and peaceful. If you aren looking for quiet and intimacy this is a great resort to connect as a couple. Don't come here expecting a big party life. Quite frankly as a couple who was intent on being focused on each other, we preferred to stay away from the larger groups. I can see why some people were bothered in other reviews by large wedding parties, it would really disrupt the feel of this resort and its biggest strength, a paradise built for two.

Right next door to the resort is a marina with many activities: parasailing, scuba, deep sea fishing, sailing excursions, snorkeling, wave runners, speedboats. It was never loud or obtrusive. We enjoyed two excursions and loved the fact that we could walk directly over without any taxis or buses. The snorkeling trip goes directly out of the marina out to the reef about 1000 meters so it was very convenient. We happened to take a wave runner snorkeling tour which included an ocean cenote (sinkhole) it was a unique experience. Here is another hint, the resort gift shop is expensive but if you walk 20 meters over to the marina they have a gift shop with much better selection and lower prices.

Overall, if asked I would recommend this resort to any couple looking for relaxation, romance, good food and drink (great for an AI), great setting and great service.

Room Tip: We ended up in a new building on the north of the property, room 1014 on the 2nd floor. It is in a...
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I had our were married in Playa and stayed at the Maroma for our Honeymoon. Granted the weather was nasty and out of the staff's control but we had the worst service ever. From the minute we walked in the staff dropped the ball. We brought our wedding cake and they offered to refrigerate it while we checked in. Poof! We never laid eyes on it again. Immediately we were hounded to attend a "presentation". Once we decided to not attend the sales pitch our concierge vanished. Several requests for simple items such as ice, candles and umbrellas went unfulfilled. We were eventually evacuated to another property due to inclimate weather and didn't have a pleasant experience there either. Our complaints seemed to fall on deaf ears. Only after emailing our travel agent did management listen to our concerns while we were there. We understand many people are at this property to celebrate a wedding, anniversary or honeymoon but we still expected some consideration and received none. We attempted to have these complaints addressed after our trip but were not offered any compensation or even an apology. If you're celebrating something special such as your Honeymoon, I suggest you book a different property. I would hate for someone else to have such a poor experience to begin a life of matrimony.

• Stayed October 2011
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle,

On behalf of El Dorado Maroma, we'd like to apologize for what seems to have been a disappointing stay for you both. I'd like you to know that your feedback has been reviewed by upper management, guest feedback is very important to us. Upon your arrival, we did receive a small wedding cake from you that was sent for refrigeration. We are very sorry that this was not delivered to your room prior to your unforeseen departure from the hotel. After carefully reviewing your experience with our Customer Service department, we do feel that we did our best to make this up to you during your time at the El Dorado Royale.

Unfortunately, due to Tropical Storm Rina, it was necessary to move all guests at the El Dorado Maroma to the El Dorado Royale. To ensure the safety and well being of our guests, we planned for the worst case scenario and this is how we made our decisions for guests and staff during this time.

We know to encounter such experiences whilst on vacation is not ideal. We do feel that we did our best to maintain our high standards in service and accommodate our guests under such unpredictable circumstances. However, we know that this does not change your experience with us and for that we are truly sorry.

We hope that you will give us the chance to host your holiday once again so that we can show you firsthand, a level of excellence that surpasses all expectations.
Lufkin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Arrived on Thanksgiving day. No trouble with transport from airport. Upon arrival, we were shown a gorgeous huge suite, but it did not have our full ocean view suite ready yet....so we advised that we had booked the ocean view room and were prepared to move to another hotel if necessary. We were promptly moved to first floor, ocean front, Room 1002 and it was absolutely fabulous. Had our own small pool right off the patio that had a double outdoor bed and gorgeous view. At first I wasn't sure if it was all it was promoted to be but by the 2nd day, felt that I had discovered paradise...by the third day, was absoloutely in love with the place. Guys, this is a total hassle-free vacation with no pressure and no big decisions to make. Walk from any room 100 feet and you are on the ocean. Walk another hundred feet and you are at the main pool with the swim up bar that is not crowded. Another 100 or so feet and you are within reach of a restaurant or bar. This is especially good if you are older or have a physical disability as did my friend. But be assured that the younger and more active guests likewise had plenty to do! The conversations of others and music are not intrusive at all. The staff is all very interactive and attentive, without being bothersome and they seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs and pleasing the guests. I love to explore new towns and resorts in Mexico, but can say that my exploration stops here as it would be difficult to find a more perfect place if you are looking for a beautiful, clean, tranquil absolutely stress-free vacation. I will definitely be back as soon as I saved enough pesos to go. Finally, we stayed at this resort four days and then left on Sunday to rev it up a notch before leaving Mexico where we then transferred to the LeBlanc, the number one ranked 5 star spa hotel in Cancun for our last two days. It was likewise awesome with a whole different atmosphere...much more upscale and gourmet like a California resort. Saw many of the rich and famous these last two days. While it would be difficult to choose which one would be considered the best experience, if given only one choice, I would forego the glamour and little bit better gourmet food offered at the LeBlanc and opt for the beautiful little treasure called El Dorado Maroma. And yes, you party animals would probably be happier at one of the larger sister hotels, but it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with this little beauty. Do have the sky massage, dinner on the beach after dark and see the Michael Jackson show. All things you will walk away from being glad you did! The only recommendations I would have is for the resort to provide a little better house wine (remember, when we like our wine, we tip much better!) and for these prices and a five star resort, wi-fi and computer access/long distance should be included. Thank you!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma? Share your experiences!