“Lovely Honeymoon/Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
New York City, NY
“Lovely Honeymoon/Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Tripguy Travel: We booked our trip through Jen Toren at Tripguy Travel. Jen was amazing. She narrowed our options down to 5 great trips within my price range. She was extremely organized and handled everything with care. I am a very meticulous person so her attention to detail was much appreciated. I highly recommend using her for your next trip.

She booked our private transfers with American Express and both to and from were on time and smooth travels. It was about a 30 minute highway drive from Cancun. There was plenty of security between the highway and the hotel. When we arrived, we were taken by golf cart to the Preferred Club. Everyone says "Welcome Home" which is so nice to hear as you begin your stay. I just knew the service would be fantastic.

The Preferred Club: The club was located in building 26. It was across the property from our building but the property is manageable enough that it didn't matter where it was. They had snacks, a full bar with top shelf vodka (kettle one, grey goose), computers and a concierge. We enjoyed the club and used it for pre-dinner and post-dinner drinks and snacks throughout our trip. The club was always quiet so we were able to get plenty of attention by the bartender. They also had chess, checkers and backgammon to pass the time.

The room: We had book a preferred club ocean view swim up suite, but when we arrived they upgraded us for free to an Oceanfront Suite. Room 1730, Building 17. It was a (top floor) 3rd floor room right outside of the elevator at the farthest end of the building/resort. We were right on the beach and it had a magnificent view, so we found ourselves leaving the door slats open at night so we could wake up daily to the sunrise over the ocean. That alone made our trip worth it! The room was modern, well kept, cleaned 2-3 times a day and stocked with fruit juice and soda in the fridge, and pringles, m&ms and mini bottles of vodka (per my husband's request to our concierge Yannik - Yannik was awesome...couldn't be nicer or do more...he was always there ready to help us with anything we needed). We didn't use the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom or on the balcony, but there was a desk, couch area, large shower that could easily fit too, double sinks and a toilet behind a shaded glass door. When we arrived at our room there was a honeymoon banner on the door and they put rose petals and towels shaped like swans on our bed. We also had a plate of fruit and a bottle of champagne on ice.

The Beach and The Pool: We stayed 1 day out of 8 on the beach, because even though it was surely one of the most beautiful white sand beaches with an amazing ocean of baby blues that we've seen, it was a bit windy with overcast for a number of days and the pool was far more entertaining. For a more private stay, the beach is the way to go. You can get drinks on the beach without issue, but you would have to go to the pool for most of the food that comes around at lunch time.

We're in our 30s so we wanted to make friends and enjoy the pool activities. 7 days at the pool. My husband played pool volleyball daily at 12:00. The pool was heated and quite large which on those chilly low 70 days was a delight. There were floats that you could grab and float around. There was no saving floats so people were very courteous about sharing when not in use. Every 10-15 minutes or so someone would ask us if we needed anything. it was unreal. The drinks were flowing and Paulino was our favorite server. For chairs in the morning and assistance with anything all day, including constant laughter from great stories, Kevin and Paulo were exceptional staff members managing the pool. Especially Kevin. We didn't need to leave our seats.

I will say that the pool area fills up quickly so we went around 8:00/8:30 every day to ensure a prime seat. We'd grab a quick bite and my husband would go back to the pool while I played tennis with Oscar (the pro). Everyday at 9am he has a tennis clinic for beginners/intermediates. A private hour lesson with Oscar was $30, but I met a friend so we took a joint lesson for $20 each. Well worth it.

12:00 - 2:00 Lunch at the pool was a happening. 10 - 20 Waiters with trays of light bites, the bbq area with nachos, fries, veges, guacamole, bbq everything including whole snappers, and the best part of all, the carts. Being from NYC and eating sushi regularly, we did not care for their sushi so we avoided the sushi cart. However, the paella cart and the taco cart were irresistible. We had paella and shrimp tacos EVERY day.

The Restaurants: The World Cafe had an incredible buffet in the morning. Absolutely one of the best I've seen anywhere. We had that daily. We skipped Bordeaux, El Patio, and Seaside Grill at night because the reviews weren't very good for them and the food was heavy. We kept missing Oceana (which closed every other day), I wish I would have tried it there. One night we had our honeymoon dinner on the beach. We stuck with the "silver" plan so there was no charge and it was delicious. Filet and Shrimp, bottle of champagne, etc...loved it although I needed a hoody to keep warm.

One night we ordered room service for dinner, the menu was limited and not very good...However, a great trick...if you find things on the restaurant menus you like, all you have to do is ask and they will bring you anything from anywhere. It's hush hush, but they aim to please. Needless to say, once we realized that, we ordered room service from Himitsu and Portofino quite a bit and it was great.

There is usually a 30 - 45 minute wait for the restaurants between 7 and 8. They give you a beeper so we were able to hang at the bar until our table was called. No big deal at all.

Himitsu - Habachi as well their normal Asian menu was fantastic! Had it 3 or 4 times. Everything was good there, except for the sushi.
Portofino - Had great Filet and Chilean Seabass. Also their make your own pasta was wonderful. We didn't love the rest of the menu, but sticking with what we liked, it was perfect. No complaints. We often ordered a protein and then got a side of the make your own pasta. We loved that combo.

Tipping: We brought $200 in ones with us at $50 in fives. We pretty much used it all in the 8 days were there, not because anyone ever waited for a tip or acted like they expected it (they didn't, not once), but because the service was exceptional, they work extremely hard, and a $1 to us is 12 pesos to them. It was the right thing to do and extremely appreciated by everyone. We tipped a $1 for every drink, anytime someone helped us with anything and all meals. We watched and the service was amazing even for those who did not tip, but it was well worth it to do so.

Vouchers: We received $400 in vouchers, and for our honeymoon package a free 50 minute couples massage, a champagne breakfast in the room and the romantic dinner on the beach. The massage was amazing, use either Mindy or Lucy. Both were amazing. We tipped $10 each. The champagne breakfast is automatically continental so if you want eggs, just order extra items off the menu when scheduling it. The romantic dinner on the beach was lovely. We tipped $5 for that.

THOSE DAMN VOUCHERS SUCKED...what a waste. We were supposed to get $200 for the spa, well they were in $40 increments and you couldn't combine them so in order to use it, the least expensive service was a 25 minute massage for $80, $40 out of pocket, NOT EXPECTED. The $80 wine vouchers were in $10 increments...obviously no bottle was $10 so we never used them and just drank their house by the glass wines. We, along with everyone we met, very few if not any of their vouchers and felt that it was a total sham. Do not pick this hotel due to vouchers, you'll be disappointed. We never stayed at an all inclusive before so we didn't know this was how they were broken down till we got there.

Loyalty Club (Timeshare) - We did decide to do the 1 1/2 loyalty club (timeshare) meeting for a $200 voucher to be used at the spa in full. We did a 2nd 50 minute couples massage and paid the extra $60. Well worth the time it took, especially when you do it at 8am. It didn't interrupt our day at all.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I hope this was helpful but don't hesitate to contact me if I can assist with anything else.

All in all, it was a wonderful vacation and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,912)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

The beach was gorgeous. The pool was heated. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The food, on the other hand, was awful. The quality of ingredients was poor (tough steaks, frozen fish, frozen vegetables) and the preparation of overly complex recipes was subpar. House wine was generally undrinkable and cheap scotch was substituted for the requested top-shelf liquor. When I was told at check-in that we would be upgraded from a partial- to a full-ocean view, I was thrilled, but our second-floor view revealed only a tiny sliver of turquoise peaking out over the trees. I would have been angry if I'd paid for an ocean view. The terrace was, however, lovely with a cozy love seat and outdoor tub. Throughout our five days, I found myself often comparing Secrets Maroma to the Barcelo Palace, where I went a couple of years ago. I found myself longing for the Palace's restaurants, perched on the water, each one with an outdoor terrace. At the Palace I ate dinner watching sand crabs scurry on the shore as the moon rose over the water. The food there wasn't fabulous, but the filet mignon was excellent and the lunch and breakfast buffets were truly awesome. I'd chosen Secrets Maroma because it also had outdoor dining, but the terraces were nowhere near the water and the view was of the well-lit hotel. I preferred the restaurants by the also well-lit pool. Strangely, the pool and beach bars closed at five, meaning if you wanted to sit on the beach and watch the sunset you were doing it without a cocktail. At Barcelo you could also opt to sit on the lobby-bar terrace and watch the spectacular curved beach change color. The lobby bar at Secrets Maroma looked at the resort. By day the beach was great, but the pool was noisy (sometimes with two different songs blaring from different loudspeakers) and chaises hard to get. The pool design was elegantly modern, but nowhere near as gorgeous as the Palace's acres of blue with a little water massage here and some fountains there. You may come to Secrets wishing for a little adult romance (and beware it truly is a world of couples), but after each lunch at Barcelo Palace I snagged a canopied bed at the incredibly serene and beautiful adults pool. No noise, no crowds. The sand at Barcelo is not as powdery as Maroma beach, but the latter is one of many resorts in view down the coast. Overall the landscape design and architecture of Secrets Maroma is fairly boring (with wide sweeps of concrete) compared to the often spectacular Barcelo. I got my room at Secrets for a very discounted price, which was slightly more than I would have paid if I'd booked at the Barcelo Palace. They should be comparably priced, but I would never again choose Secrets Maroma.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

We were greeted with a glass of champagne and a hot towel. The room was something else...spacious, well decorated and very relaxing. The room came equiped with all the usual stuff but some things I particulatly liked were the jacuzzi bath, ipod dock and giant shower. The hotel has pretty much everything you could need pools, beach, spa etc. The beach is beautiful and kept very clean plus the waitors are very attentive and always notice when your drink is low so don't worry about having to march all the way to the bar from the beach. The beach can be quite windy which helps if the weather is super hot but if you prefer the heat I'd stay around the pool. There was always enough loungers so this is not one of those resorts where you have to get up at 6am to put your towel out. As for food the breakfast buffet will blow your mind. I guess americans are use to these huge breakfasts but as european I was not prepared for the selection and the amount of food...be warned you will put on a stone. For lunch you can go to one of the restaurants or try one of the grills either by the pool or the beach. In general the restaurants are very good in particular the japanese. With 7 you will never be stuck for somewhere to go plus you don't have to reserve a table. Throughout the day and night there is lots of stuff on. In the morning you can avail of yoga, aqua aerobics, body sculpting and in the afternoon they do things like tequila tasting, wine tasting, sushi making etc.

Honestly this is the best holiday I have ever had. This is not your usual 'all-inclusive' resort where they serve up tonnes of poor quality food and watered down drinks. In addition the staff are really nice and are always willing to chat. I would return

Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

We booked an Apple Vacations 6 Apple deal, not knowing where in the Playa area we were going to stay. To our suprise, Secrets Maroma was our hotel. This place is fantastic. We arrived around 3 and had to wait until 4:30 for our room, so we went down to the pool for lunch. We went to the beach and were amazed at the length and beauty of it. White sand, turquoise sea, and plenty of places to plant ourselves. When we got to our room, we found 1st floor rooms have a walkout to our own private pool. pretty cool!
The resort has 7 restaurants, not all open each day. However, all were first class and delicious. This is an adults only resort, and it was "quiet" by most standards. The only "downer" was the time share pitch. Avoid it or spent 3 hours listening to the pitch and receive a free spa or $100 to spend at the resort. I will come back many more times.

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Secrets Maroma Beach is about 2 years old (according to front desk) and has a nice blend of beautiful rooms, heated main pool, nice beach area, restaurants and nightly entertainment. This is an Adults Only resort and we never left the resort to do any sightseeing. We were there from January 25-30. This is our second all-inclusive in the past 10 years and we were not disappointed. We decided on this area because it is a short plane ride and the weather is warm. The daytime temperature was low to mid 70’s and breezy. It was overcast 2 days and was supposed to rain, but it never did. Bring a sweater because it does get pretty breezy and chilly at night..

The rooms are beautiful and tastefully done. The first two days I nearly bashed my head after tripping into the sunken level living area in the rooms. The stone floor edge is so similar to the rest of the tile floor that you don’t notice it…so be VERY careful. Once it was really bad, I almost hit the glass patio door after stumbling. The bathroom is beautiful, but in our room there was an open area from the jacuzzi tub into the main bedroom. They had a curtain between the bathroom and bedroom, but not much privacy because they did not always close well. The bathroom had full walk in shower and the jacuzzi tub was HUMONGOUS. I have NEVER seen a tub that big. It would fit two regular size people side by side. The only down side was that it was really gross and not cleaned well (around vents, spouts, etc). The tub itself was clean, but not the mechanism. I never used it, but my husband took a bath in it almost every night. He is a big football player sized guy and he fit well with room to spare. Our concierge, Alberto was very helpful and introduced himself on our arrival. We stayed in room 2221 which was located away from all the main attractions (theater and pool) so was quiet…just how we like it. I noticed the room below us appeared to be one of the rooms that have a swim out pool. It was probably to cold to use it though. The balcony was nice with comfortable seating.

The restaurants were very nice, I would say 3 to 3+ stars. Not as wonderful as the Royal Hideway (our first all-inclusive in Playa del Carmen, which was 4-5 stars), but pretty good. Our favorite was the Italian restaurant, then probably the Japanese one. If you want to sit at the Hibachi table at the Japanese restaurant, be sure to make your reservations in advance since space is limited.

There was nightly entertainment and it was quite enjoyable. We attended the Circus show (which is actually a little acrobatics, a lot of belly-dance costumed routines and at the end a short fire dance routine), Drums and Fire show (this was held poolside and it was VERY chilly that night); the Perfect Couple show which was lots of fun and hilarious. We did not see the Magic Show. The entertainment reminded me of what you would see on a cruise ship and it was nice to have that extra bit of fun, in case you wanted something else to do.

There are several pools around the resort. The main pool area is heated which was absolutely wonderful. There are towels in several locations and pool attendants who constantly ask if you need anything to drink. When you are around the pool, personnel frequently bring around little snacks to nibble on and 3 of the days there was a little “ice-cream cart”. It was like reverting back to childhood to see everyone clustered around the ice cream truck! LOL

WiFi connection was $40 for 4 days and $60 for a week. Unfortunately, it only worked in room and in the main building....it does not work at the pool or beach area.

Overall, we had a very nice stay and would recommend this resort. I think we tend to travel when there is not a large crowd around. We arrived in the middle of the week and there seemed to be an influx of people coming in on Friday. There was still plenty of room, lounges and towels. They did run out of towels a couple of times during our forays to the pool and beach, but generally they were refilled within an hour. Not sure how this would work if the resort was a full capacity.

Southington, Ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week stay at Secrets Maroma. We've been to several other AIs (Sandals and Couples resorts) but have found the service here to be far superior. Everyone is so friendly and attentive....tipping a few bucks here and there will make it even better. The only not so pleasant experience we had was at the Seaside Grill when they were apparently understaffed and frazzled. It took a long time to get waited on and the staff was not smiling from the hostess to the waiters. I ordered calamari as an appetizer and received about 5 rings of calimari coupled with a heap of salty french fries...?? did they run out of calamari? Who knows.....
Other than that, I was impressed with the food and presentation. The world cafe is your best bet for a great variety of fresh tasty food for breakfast and lunch. Service was great. We enjoyed the French.(great veal chop!) and found the Japanese and Italian to have the best food (yes, above Olive Garden quality). The steaks at the steakhouse were quite thin and the food wasn't consistently good at Oceana-tough as leather scallops and salty baby lobster but the grouper and seabass nicely done. Keep in mind at the a la cartes, portions are small so have no qualms about trying more than appetizer etc. One look at the Mexican restaurants menu and we passed, although it might have been OK.

The room-nice decor and comfy beds. Ladies, you don't have to bring your own hairdryer-they offered a powerful Conair where you don't have to keep the button pressed to maintain it working (unlike the advice I was given-maybe they changed the dryers).

Grounds.....spotless and lush-picture perfect. We certainly would've enjoyed the beach more if we didn't have such a cloudy week and the ocean wasn't so rough. Keep in mind only the pool with the swim up bar is heated-this area became quite crowded and where there is an endless supply of liquor, there's always going to be a group of people who get louder and occasionally more obnoxious throughout the day. The larger beautiful infinity pool was not heated and thus nearly empty- a shame. I thought the chairs around the pool area were a bit smooshed together and if you got stuck next to smokers or loud (aka drunk) people, it was less than relaxing. The beach was gorgeous but could have used more loungers. Poolside as well as beachside drink/appetitzer service was excellent.

Entertainment: they offered shows at nite and we attended 2 of them-the American Idol show (fun and entertaining) and a Rock of Ages show which was excellent-the 'house band' was great and played many hits from the 70's and 80's. We never made it to the disco. There always seemed to be a lull between dinner and the nightly show-not much to do but be a lounge lizard. The hotel shopping was pretty bad, but it is a small resort.

Overall, the resort is very nice and we might possibly return but definitely at a time when the liklihood of nicer weather is increased. I'm also glad we didn't shell out several hundred more for a preferred club room. We were in building 15 (close to everything in the resort) and had a beautiful view of the ocean from the 4th floor. We did pay for internet service which was reasonable. I never witnessed anyone using their swim-up rooms-they just didn't look appealing and as I've read those first floor rooms can get musty.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

My wife and I are cruise people, and we decided to finally try spending a few nights at an AI resort. After a month of research, I finally decided to book at Secrets Maroma. We stayed 5 nights, and could not have been happier, and will probably go back next year!

Our package included transfers from the airport, and had no trouble finding our rep, and only had to wait a few minutes before heading to the resort. We arrived around noon, and knew that the room would only be available after 3pm. We checked in which only took a few minutes, then went to a restaurant to have lunch. After exploring the grounds, we went back to the check-in desk a little after 3pm, and our room was ready for us. We stayed in a JR swim out room. It looked exactly like the brochure, and we loved it!

Our days all followed the same pattern:

We would wake up early and go to the pool to get our chairs....as with everywhere else, if you want a good spot you need to go early! Between the beach and the large pool area, there are plenty of chairs, but if you want a spot in the middle of the action, go early.

We would then go eat at the breakfast buffet. The buffet was incredible - there were 2 omelette stations and a crepe station. You could get eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, hash browns, pastries, breads, fruits, juices, fish, Mexican fare, pancakes and a lot more.

After Breakfast, we would relax by the pool. We would then have lunch at the pool area grill. They served burgers, fish, hot dogs, chicken, & ribs. there are also a bunch of different "sides" you can choose from. The rest of day would be spent outside either relaxing or participating in whatever was going on - beach volleyball, pool volleyball, football, bingo, aerobics.....

For Dinner there are 7 restaurants to choose from. On our short stay, we only tried a few of them and liked the Italian the best.

The entire staff gave us incredible service. Everyone had a smile and gave you an "hola" while passing. I am used to getting great service on a cruise, and I was pleasantly surprised to get even better service in the resort!

Our goal was to relax in the sun and to see how an AI compared to a cruise. Having just come off of a 7 day Princess cruise, we got extremely lucky with 2 weeks of sun, and could not have had a better vacation. We love cruising, and we loved our Secrets Maroma experience. I would not hesitate to go back to Secrets, and will try to do a short cruise mixed with an AI stay going forward.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!