“Beautiful Resort with Superior Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun - Puerto Juarez | Km 306.5 S/N Punta Maroma, Playa Maroma, Playa del Carmen CP 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Playa Maroma
Reading
“Beautiful Resort with Superior Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We just returned from a 6-day stay at Secrets Maroma Beach. The resort is as beautiful as pictures on this web site portray. Our arrival and check-in were quickly handled and we were on the beach in less than an hour after arrival. We opted not to get a swim-out room because we like the privacy of an upper level room and balcony. It was a well-appointed room, very comfortable. The mattress was great. Service was the best we've ever had at an all-inclusive, including Sandals. Everyone was more than happy to serve you. We never once saw our maid, but our room was always perfect, and she even had a warm bubble bath ready for us each day when we returned from the beach. We are beach people, so that was important when booking this trip. But we loved the infinity pool which gave us a clear view of the beach along with easy access -- the best of both worlds. We also loved the food service poolside. Everything from sushi to tacos. Bar service was great. Much has been written about the mosquitoes, so we were well prepared. We only had problems one night right after they sprayed. Within a couple hours they were gone. Our only complaint, as others have complained, was about the heat in the lobby and restuarants. The Bordeaux was unbearable. The Italian was tolerable. We didn't try the Japanese because we heard from others the hibachi table made it extra warm in there. We loved the Oceana because it was open to the outdoors. We asked if there has always been an air-conditioning problem, and they said they are working on it. We thought it was just us -- being "young" 60's, but even the young people were complaining that the disco was too warm to dance and enjoy it. We would certainly return to Secrets, but perhaps pick a cooler month, and certainly check if the a/c problem has been corrected.

6,538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,786)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and i stayed at SM for two weeks as part of our honeymoon between 31/08-14/09.When we arrived at the hotel after a long 16 hour trip we were greeted with a "Welcome Home" by Alejandro, whose English is perfect,before signing in at reception with a cool towel and a cooler glass of bubbly.After being taken to our room we were then greeted by our concierge Valeria who we got to know to be a real star.Nothing was too much trouble and she was a genuine nice girl who really enjoyed her job.As others have said the bed is the most comfortable bed we have ever been in with soft pillows and a perfect mattress.The room was spotlessly clean ,the fridge stocked with water,juice,glass bottles of coke,sprite and beer.
We tried all the restaurants and all the food was excellent.I tried the house wine in 3 of the restaurants and it was very very good from a newly opened bottle which the waiter kept topping up my glass with without even asking.Our fav food was from the Japanese,French and Grill but all were excellent.
The beach was as all the photos show...PERFECT!Sand that doesn't get hot,crystal clear water and waiter/waitress service were you can get any drink you want as well as snacky type foods such as pizza,burgers but also paella,skewered prawns and satti chicken.You get the idea now that you don't have to move for anything. They even bring snacks from the various restaurants such as sushi etc totally pampered!It really does make it harder to go on any trips because you get lazy( just one more pina colada,tequila sunrise etc)
The same service you get around the pool.We even asked for and got a la carte food from the Grill restaurant brought to our poolside seats which again was brilliant.
At night we spent most of the time in the Lobby bar where Lorena was a stand out for service with a smile. Again she really enjoys her job and she is trying to better her English so she'll ask you questions and take little notes on her notepad.Another star.Its true that you have to ask for the better names such as Grey Goose,Ketle One etc but it's not a problem as nothing is a problem.
Breakfast is superb theres something for everyone but amazingly they have Absolute and Smirnoff vodka and a jug of tomato juice for those that like Bloody Marys and also Cava and OJ for the Bucks Fizz lovers.Whatever floats your boat. Another star at breakfast is Jaime who seems to work that little bit harder but also remembers you and what you like,a nice touch.
I could go on and on about paradise but there was also a slight blip when we both were taken down with some tummy bug,not very pleasant,especially as the hotel doctor charged US$250 each although the management reduced this by $60.It was a pity because of it being our honeymoon but i could think of a lot worse places to be ill at.
Despite this we would go back in a heartbeat.
Overall staff are great,hotel is great but not overly lively at night which suited us,food excellent,drinks plentiful and beach voted best in world(not just by the both of us!)
Just Go!
PS Whenever we used room service we them asked to use the secrets box which they always did( I always left the tip in the secrets box) they didnt knock the door but they called the room to make sure we got our order and to thank us for the tip,another nice touch.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Secrets Maroma Beach gave us the most memorable trip to celebrate our honeymoon. The staff is so polite and outgoing that it truely us a surreal experience, from the time you arrive to the time that you leave, you truely feel that you are on vacation and in a completely different state of mind. The beach has the most beautiful sand and colored ocean. The resort itself is the perfect size, it is not too big where you can't walk to do whatever is available, but not too small to make it feel roomy at its maximum capacity. Their spa is state of the art and would have to say that their amentities are first class. All of the food was delicious and variety was exceptional as well. This resort is the most pefect place for a vacation, getaway, wedding, etc. If you traveled to this resort and had a negative review, i would pay for your trip.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Just came back from a great 7 day honeymoon at SMB... what can I say!! This place exceeded anything we thought it would be... the food, the service, the swim-out room... it was the perfect place! We can't wait to come back - there is nothing like it :)

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We just returned from our 9 days, 8 night stay at Secrets Maroma Beach on October 7th. When I was searching for a resort for our honeymoon I was looking for something a bit classier than most all inclusive resorts but for the same price. I came across Secrets and was instantly hooked. Then I had to choose which Secrets to go to. I chose Maroma Beach because I read that the resort had only been open for a year and everything was practically new and untouched. Also the photo of the pool area on the website sold me.

WEATHER: From the beginning of our hunt for a honeymoon spot I read website after website article telling us not to go to the Caribbean in September or October because it is hurricane season. I also went on weather.com to check out the forecast for our trip. It said, thunderstorms and rain all 9 days of our stay. That couldn’t have been further from the truth. It was 95 degrees and sunny every single day of our trip. We saw a few drops of rain our way into town but it lasted 30 seconds and out came the sun again.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: From the moment we pulled up to the resort (which is located about a mile from the main road and into the jungle) we were captivated by the layout and design of this resort. We got out of the car and were immediately greeted with warm faces and escorted to the bar in the main lobby for a drink of our choice. We chose margaritas..it’s Mexico! After we finished our drinks a little golf cart drove us to our room, which had a “Honeymooners” banner on the door. The rooms are impeccable, spacious, and decorated modernly. You can clearly tell this resort is brand new. We stayed in the Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean View. Preferred Club is the way to go! I won’t spoil all the little surprises. But generally there are perks..like being seated at nicer spots in the restaurants and being able to use the Preferred Club Lounge. Our personal concierge was Vianney, or “V”. She was so accommodating and incredibly sweet! Every morning before heading down to the beach she was there with a big smile on her face, “Hello Mr & Mrs. Tucker!!! How are you?!”

STAFF: When you come back to the States after this trip you will wonder why people can’t be as nice as the staff at this resort. It’s hard to single anyone out because they were all truly amazing. Be ready to be waited on hand and foot and with a gracious smile.

SPA: We went to the spa on our 2nd day there and spent almost 5 hours there! We didn't want to leave. Hands down a 5 star resort spa. My husband & I got side by side 50 minute massages. Talk about AMAZING! I didn't want it to end. After our massages we went into the relaxation room. Every room feels like a relaxation room. Darkly lit with the sound of trickling water. Complimentary teas, water, cookies. After that my husband got a pedicure, which he loved, and I got a relaxing 25 minute facial which felt like a massage all over again. It was bliss!

FOOD: Ok, first of all it’s everywhere all the time and secondly it’s delicious. So where do I begin? How about Poolside… From Noon to 4pm they prepare hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, fresh fruit. Also you can ask your poolside server to bring you something like fajitas, enchiladas, or nachos along with your beverage.

RESTAURANTS: We tried Himitsu the first night, a Japanese restaurant. The food was awesome, service was a little ehh but that’s ok, we enjoyed ourselves! We tried Portofino the 2nd night, an Italian restaurant. I really enjoyed it there. The food was impressive and if you buy a bottle of wine they move you to a swanky romantic booth. The next place we tried was Seaside Grill for lunch. I had the ceviche and club sandwich w/ fries. Delicious! Bordeaux is the French restaurant. We were not entirely impressed with this one. The food was ok but what got me was the atmosphere. It looked like it wasn’t entirely finished being decorated and it was so hot in there I couldn’t be comfortable. World Café is open for breakfast & lunch. It’s like a buffet made in heaven. They have everything you can think of!! In the morning they have mimosas, pancakes, French toast, someone to make you an omelet, crepes, the list goes on!! Oceania is located directly behind Seaside Grill, the food and service there was impeccable. I had the red snapper. We also had a romantic dinner on the beach because it was our honeymoon. That sky that night was indescribable! The most amazing view, priceless. The food was also delicious..steak and grilled shrimp. And finally, room service: Expect a 30 – 45 minute wait for arrival and the portions are small so order at least 2 things off the menu if you’re hungry.

BEACH/ACTIVITIES: Cool white sand and a 77 degree turquoise ocean…What more can you ask for?? Every night in the theater there is something different going on. They show movies every night. And not crappy movies, brand new just released on dvd movies! We saw “I love you Man”, “The Proposal”, and “Wolverine”. When they aren’t showing a movie they have renditions of “GREASE” which was hilarious! They have “American Idol” which sounds lame but the winner got 3 nights, 4 days free trip back to Secrets! If I had known that I would’ve gotten up there and sang my heart out. They have Mexican folk dancing and fire shows. They had a magic/comedy act. That was pretty bad. During the day at the pool they have all kinds of things going on. Water volleyball, Spanish lessons, yoga, archery, etc. If you want to leave the resort your concierge can help you plan trips to different nightclubs in the city. Also your travel representative is located in the main lobby and will also show you different activities you can do like swim with dolphins, going on a shopping trip to Cancun, or visit Tulum the ancient Mayan Ruins and Xel-Ha for snorkeling!

CONS: There really are none!! The only thing I will warn you about is Mosquitoes. My husband got bit 4 times so no big deal. I on the other hand got bit 30 times and that was even with me spraying a ton of “OFF” repellent on myself before heading out. Mosquitoes will find a way into your room.

I am telling all of my friends and family about this place. We plan to go back with another couple soon! It’s a perfect adult all inclusive resort!!!

SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We loved our stay at Secrets Maroma Beach! We'd been to Silversands the year before for our Honeymoon. We were supposed to go to Maroma for our honeymoon, but it wasn't finished on time. They gave us a voucher to return since it wasn't available for our original trip. We didn't have any problem scheduling the return trip. And they actually gave us the honeymoon package we were supposed to have had originally.

The trip was great. The service was great. Food was outstanding for an all inclusive. We loved the beach and the pool. We did realize that we needed to reserve a spot at the pool in the mornings. You could always find a chair, but to get a good location with an umbrella, you needed to get a spot early. They discourage this, but we ended up playing the game. The only other draw back from the pool was that there was a limited number of rafts. It usually wasn't too big of a problem, but we enjoyed having one when we could.

Overall, not much more to say without going into all the specifics. We loved the resort and the service. We would recommend anyone considering going here to book your trip and enjoy it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

My wife and I visited for 5 days in early October. We stayed in a honeymoon suite room 2731. If you want to know what it looks like, go to youtube and search for Secrets Maroma honeymoon suite and that is it. Upon entering, we were taken immediately to the Preferred lounge for check in. We would have at least enjoyed seeing the lobby but were taken via golf cart before entering. We were offered a drink and towel and our concierge took us to our room for a tour. His name was Sabastian. Unlike others have mentioned, we used our conceirge and preferred club a great deal. It was like our own personal butler and personal bartender. There was never anyone there.

We are beach people and used, walked and relaxed on the beach each day. Very uncrowded. We could not understand why the pools were so crowded. The beach was incredible as advertised.

Service was incredible! We tipped a great deal, but really did not feel that things would be better or worse if we did not. A tip was treated with indifference at bars and restaurants. I struggled with this as since this is an all inclusive, I would have thought a tip would be greatly appreciated and would make a difference. there was a ton of people around and the only service complaint was that we had to ask all the time for something, not servers asking us.

Overall, the restaurants and food was great. Oceana was our favorite followed by Il Patio and then Bordeaux was just not good. Why would you want to sit in a small, poorly air conditioned restaurant when you can sit outside enjoying the breeze at Oceana.

Finally, the overall resort, service, beach, pools, room drinks, activities were all memorable. We would definitely return and do highly recommend. I hope whoever reads this goes to this resort and enjoys as much as my wife and I did.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!